Menu

Clifford? A brother for Rose and Clara

We are expecting and trying to figure out some boy names we both like! Our last name is really common, so i would like something slightly uncommon.

Our girls are Rose and Clara. If this baby is a girl we would use the names Pearl, Hazel, or Lucy.

Our top choice for a boy is Clifford nn Cliff.
    Does it work for our girls? I initially didn’t like having two C names but we love Cliff and haven’t found any other names that we both like!

Any suggestions?!

Names that we can’t use but like:
    Dean
    Jack
    James
    Patrick

I think it works well with your other children. However, when I think of Clifford, I immediately think of the big, red, dog. You can still use it. I just wanted to point that out.
    Valeria | Top 15

Girls:

Adelaide Philomena*Bella Josephine*Celia Rosemary*Cleo Geneviva*Danica Finch*Darcy Juniper*Eloise Inzhu*Emmeline Susannah*Evangeline Pomona*Linnea Lilac*Lydia Ruby*Jessamine River*Miriam Willow*Talia Maxine*Tessa Meredith

Boys:

Alexei Andreas*Alfonso Wade*Asa Wolf*Bowie Scott*Calvin Dashiell*Casey Balthazar*Eli Buchanan*Gabriel Viridian*Jeremiah Woodrow*Klaus Adriano*Malachi Vander*Marshall Winston*Nikita Erasyl*Percy Ambrose*Samwell Ulysses

I think it could work with your girls - it has the same vintage feel, though it's definitely more unusual and I have to admit to thinking of the dog too which puts me off a bit. Cliff is a cool nn though

Rose, Clara and...

Scott
    Wilbur
    Wilfred
    Albert
    Oscar
    Rudy
    Max/Maxwell
    Ernest
    Charles
    Peter
    Declan
    Emmett
    Jeremy
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus

I think it works well with your daughters' names. I have same misgivings you do about repeated initials, but for the right name, it really doesn't matter.

I don't love Clifford, but I can see why you do -- and I think Cliff is really cute.

I'm wondering if you might also like Gilbert. I think Gil is just really, really adorable, and it has a similar feel to Clifford/Cliff.

Other names that might appeal:
    Simon
    Walter
    Felix
    Casper
    Malcolm/Mac

I like Clifford! I've only ever met one in person (mid 20s), he went by Cliff.
    It works well with the sibset imo.

Other ideas:
    Stanford (nn Stan)
    Harvard (nn Harvey)
    Lawrence (nn Lance)
    Gordon
    Frank
    Steven
    Keith
    ~Joan/Joanie, Winifred/Winry, Heidi~
    Evangeline | Felicity | Mae | Alice | Dorothy | Ingrid | Margaery | Elizabeth | Bernadette

~Conrad, Rex, Isaac/Ike~
    William | Hugh | Herschel | Ian | Barnaby | Hugo | Lawrence | Rowan | Donovan | Xavier

I can’t say I love Clifford but I can see it working with Rose and Clara. In saying that, they’re both simultaneously vintage and modern - and both are pretty and have spunk - whilst to me Clifford feels a tad dated and lacks the timelessness and edge of your daughter’s names. But that’s just my opinion/perspective...

How about:

Rory
    Sebastian
    Jude
    Hugo
    Franklin
    Remy
    Vincent
    Flynn
    Marlowe
    Oliver
    Caspar
    Theodore
    Rufus
    Xavier
    Oscar
    Lucian
    Henry
    Alistair
    Charlie
    Dashiell
    Felix
    Gabriel
    Jem
    Raphael
    Monty
    Leopold
    Angus
    Maximilian
    Otto
    Roman
    Finn
    Bastian
    Otis
    August
    Stellan
    Hamish
    Saxon
    Orson
    Fox
    Tully
    Rowan
    Dane
    Soren
    Valentine
    Last edited by tdfm; July 31st, 2019 at 06:53 PM.

I think the name Clifford is a really cool name (and I love the nickname Cliff) but I would also have to agree with some of the others that it immediately makes me think of Clifford the Big Red Dog. This isn't necessarily a negative association, but it's perhaps worth mentioning.

Other names similar to Clifford that I think are really nice:

Clive
    Clement
    Cecil
    Hugo
    Laurence
    Wilbur
    Warren
    Alfred (Alfie)
    Gideon
    Augustan (Gus, August)

It goes pretty well with Rose and Clara although IMO it feels a little more uptight if that makes sense? I also associate it very heavily with Clifford the big red dog.

Other names you might like:

Bennett/Benjamin
    George
    Jude
    Maxwell
    Felix
    Miles/Milo
    Sawyer
    Thomas
    Garrison
    Grant
    Graham
    Bram
    Dane
    Cormac
    Corbin
    Gideon
    Holden
    Roger
    Gray
    Beckett
    rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
    Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett

I know a toddler Clifford and it works great. While some parents might think of the Big Red Dog (and if there’s any risk he might have red, red hair, I would think of another option), I dont really think many kids will have that association which is what really matters. I’m normally not a big repeat initials (let alone the first two letters), but Clara and Clifford sound so different that I find it doesn’t bother me.