Menu

Alternatives for Ruby?

Ruby is quickly climbing the name charts, and it hurts my heart that she's entered into the Top 100. It is the one girl name we have ever agreed on, and it sort of honors my late father-in-law whose birthday was in July (Ruby is the birthstone).

I feel like my whole list needs a little sprucing anyway, and now that Ruby is accelerating, I'm looking for some suggestions for other names with similar vibes as the Ruby and the others in my signature.

A couple of things:

Would love your suggestions as alternatives for Ruby (though I may still keep her on the list) or any other names that may fit the vibe of my list below.
    taylor.

current crushes

girl firsts: ruby, georgia, maxine, margot, olive, thea, gemma
    girl middles: florence, josephine, gray, theodosia, jubliee, gloria, emmanuelle
    -
    boy firsts: maxwell, shepherd, cormac, callan, sullivan, julian, everett, kit
    boy middles: salvatore, david, daniel, wilder, dean, schaeffer, gabriel

I feel like Opal or Pearl both have that vintage gemstone feel that you like!
    Maxwell Abel 💙1/31/18
    Frances Marion 💖due 9/9/19

Could you provide a short list of names he doesn't like? It might prove helpful.

There's always the possibility of using Ruby as a middle to still be an honour and keep a name you both love but then you can have something that isn't trending as heavily in the first name spot.

Or you can pick names with similar color meaning to Ruby or that relate to July:
    Cerise (a shade of red and also means Cherry, a fruit that's prime season is July!)
    Rooney (similar in sound with a red meaning, but maybe a little loose for an honour name and is definitely more gender neutral than Ruby)
    Aubrey
    Cora/Coral/Coralie
    Carmen
    Gemma (not as specific as Ruby but means gem and is just outside the top 200)
    Poppy (sweet and semi vintage like Ruby and also associated with the color red, and a summer flower)
    Juliet (related to Julius from which July is derived, outside the top 200, and French spelling Juliette is outside the top 100)
    Julienne

Final thoughts: if you both really love Ruby and feel it's a strong way to honor family, I do think you should still use it. While popularity is always worth considering it shouldn't be the be-all end-all factor. And at #74 last year and only 4 spots up from the year before, Ruby is still well outside the top 20. She will meet other Rubys at school but they won't necessarily be in the same class or grade. If they are in the same class, it'll be one other Ruby, not 4 or 5 other Rubys like with a top 10 name.
    Last edited by brittanyanitarose; July 30th, 2019 at 11:06 AM.
    Archimedes "Archie" Theodore 08/22/2016

Oleander Sebastian?
    Dorian Alphonse?

Vote on my boy names [here].

Names we've ruled out:
    Viridian, Cornelius, Peregrine.

Isadora Eponine? Cornelia Beatrice/Cornelia Odette? Octavia Marguerite?

Vote on my girl names [here].

Names we've ruled out:
    Euphemia, Beatrix, Philippa.

🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Mabli Charlotte|Una Adele|Scout Elodie
    Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty|Percy Evander|Bram Atticus
    Thinking about...
    Tyra Mabel|Skye Miriam|Lois Winter|Anya Ottillie
    Quinn Barnaby|Silas Peregrine|Teddy Linus|Klaus Raphael

I wouldn't discard Ruby just because it is getting more popular. The total amount of names for girls is increasing as well so I don't think there are actually much more children named Ruby. And it's a lovely name! I like Gemma and Thea most from your signature

Some suggestions:
    Riley
    Sloane
    Cara
    Rosa
    Irene
    Ruth
    Juniper
    Joan
    Vera
    Sylvia
    Rosalie
    Thalia
    Lillian
    Ginevra
    Mallory
    Natalie
    Polly
    Paige
    * Favourites *
    Thea Adrienne - Agnes Adair - Alma Greer
    Nel Audra - Bram Percy

* Currently like *
    Hector - Frey - Walt - Gregor - Ingrid - Pia - Percy - Ian - Vera - Lyra - Hilde - Dorota - Joris - Milas -

* GP or does not sound good in Dutch *
    Adrian - Bramwell - Emrys - Pascoe - Alasdair - Barnabas - Prior - Pyotr
    Hesper - Greer - Solveig - Parnell - Junot - Tuppence - Endellion - Arianell

Just a few ideas:

Scarlett- also means red
    Julia- form of July
    Summer
    Beatrice
    Lily/Lillian- the water lily is one of the July flowers
    Felicity
    Vera
    Maple
    Joy
    Rumi

If Ruby means so much to you, and you love it so much, why get rid of it because of a number? Think about how many children named Ruby you actually know, and take that into account of whether it really bothers you.

I understand the hobby/obsession of keeping up with naming trends and numbers, but when it comes to your own personal children, it's important to take all the numbers and rankings with a grain of salt.

With so much riding on this one name, don't let a statistic break your heart and let your favorite, significant name go. Stick with Ruby.