Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basil

Basil

What do you think of the name Basil [BAZ-əl]? Which, if any, of the combos below do you like? Suggestions?

Basil Orion
    Basil Aurelius
    Basil Octavian
    Basil Constantin
    Basil Ignatius
    Basil Aurelian
    Basil Hadrian
    Basil Octavius
    Basil Archimedes

Thanks!

thinking about…
    Augusta Polly
    "Aggie"

babynames.com/namelist/9869322

I’ve only heard of the name Basil on pets so to me it’s a pet name. It does seem more feminine so I’d pair it with a masculine name. I could see some teasing tho so maybe just keep it as a GP or a middle.

I like Basil Constantine and Basil Octavius.
    Emma Louise - future zookeeper, current namenerd

Cassius Mercury "Cash" . Ianthe Venus "Thea" . Augustine Earth "Gus" . Caspian Mars "Cap" . Elias Jupiter "Jem" . Alexandria Saturn "Alex" . Ezekiel Uranus "Zeke" . Koa Neptune "Kip"

Human to dogs Carmel, Rainier Paxton, Ryder James, and Jay Gatsby "Gatz", and kitten Phinneas McDougal

I've never met a Basil and it gives me an old British man vibe (which isn't a bad thing!). I agree with the previous poster that since Basil has a softer sound that the middle should have a stronger sound to balance it. My favorite pairings are Basil Constantin and Basil Octavius.

I love the name Basil. Like, a lot. I actually don't see it as particularly soft (especially with the "British" pronunciation) but I do love Basil Ignatius and Basil Octavius. I'd LOVE to meet someone with this name!
    22. Another name nerd not having kids any time soon.

Rosemary Astoria | Eleanor Lavender | Sylvia Arabella | Thea Winifred | Florence Cecilia | Ophelia Clementine | Beatrice Lucille | Rowena Frances | Hester Juniper | Agatha Primrose | Ginevra Magdalen | Matilda Romilly

Benjamin Atlas | Theodore Flynn | Jasper Penrose | Elio Rafael | Percival Colin | Gus Leander | Basil Alejandro | Felix Peregrine | Philip Salinger | Emmanuel Birch | Remy Ignatius | Edmund Bastien

Thanks, everyone!

I'm still looking for opinions but I'm wondering: How do you pronounce Basil?

thinking about…
    Augusta Polly
    "Aggie"

babynames.com/namelist/9869322

In America it's pronounced Bay-zil and in Britain (please correct me in I'm wrong) it's pronounced Bah-sil.
    Last edited by emmalou23; July 26th, 2019 at 01:12 AM.
    Emma Louise - future zookeeper, current namenerd

Cassius Mercury "Cash" . Ianthe Venus "Thea" . Augustine Earth "Gus" . Caspian Mars "Cap" . Elias Jupiter "Jem" . Alexandria Saturn "Alex" . Ezekiel Uranus "Zeke" . Koa Neptune "Kip"

Human to dogs Carmel, Rainier Paxton, Ryder James, and Jay Gatsby "Gatz", and kitten Phinneas McDougal

I really like Basil Orion.

Basil Aurelien is really handsome!

e&a
    FC 12/21/2017
    BH 01/09/2020

TTC September 2020

I like the name Basil. My favorite combo you listed was Basil Hadrian. I am from America and have always pronounced the name as "Baz-il" (short a sound) and the herb basil as "bay-zil" (long a sound). It's not a super common name by me... I just remember reading it in something as a kid and my mom told me how to correctly pronounce the name. I'm not sure how other Americans say it as I don't personally know any Basils. All that to say it's a nice name!

Basil Aurelius is great!!
    Grace
    Sarai Matilda|Cherith Eliza|Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty
    Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Percy Evander|Otto Elias
    Cleo Tallulah|Lois Aurelia|Jesse Peregrine|Bram Atticus
    Maeve Emily|Sloane Felicity|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus