Menu

New Name for New Me

Hey all, I haven't been an active user on here since last summer, but I am back because I need your Berry suggestions for a new name for me to go by.

My birth name is Elsbeth, and I have a lot of love for it for many reasons. For one, the look/spelling/feel of it was always nice. And I like that it is unique, and as many people got it wrong I grew up having to correct people on my name and while some may see it as a nuisance I saw it as a way to stand out. I like having a bold name...

...However, this name just doesn't fit me anymore. I recently came out as trans and I need a name that's not so feminine. I'm looking for something that's androgynous or leaning masculine, to fit my identity and presentation as a nonbinary butch lesbian. Currently I go by both Elsbeth and Dirt (yes, I know it's silly, but I genuinely like going by Dirt because it's fun and unique and natural feeling and whimsical, all of which are important to me in a name). Ideally it would be something nature-related and/or something that would convey I don't take myself too seriously. Also, a friend suggested I choose an Irish name (I am Irish and my middle and last names, which I will be keeping, are Irish) and I like that idea.

I hope this post doesn't flop cause I'm looking forward to suggestions! TIA
    ENNISHE/HIM
    • • •
    Aleda, August, Barnaby, Basil, Bram, Campion, Celestine, Copper, Deborah, Edmund, Endellion, Ezra, Finch, Harper, Hugo, Isobel, Jude, Louise, Marigold, Mary, Moon, Oak, Opal, Rosemary, Saoirse, Silas, Thorn, Uisce
    • • •
    VOTE ON MY NAME LIST

Hello! I have a cousin who is currently transitioning female to male too and I know the naming process was a challenge for him too. Your naming style is not my forté but I'll try to help! Let me know if you hate them all (no offense taken!) or if any could work (fingers crossed!).

Birch
    Lynx
    Talon
    Mace
    Benno
    Kermit (I know, I know, but I thought nature... animals...frogs....whimsical imo....but thought process and association aside I actually like this name!!)
    Basil
    Murphy
    Angus
    Cormac
    Addax
    Eoghan
    Arlo

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I was already considering Basil, actually, so it's nice seeing it on your list. I also like Birch, Eoghan, and Arlo
    ENNISHE/HIM
    • • •
    Aleda, August, Barnaby, Basil, Bram, Campion, Celestine, Copper, Deborah, Edmund, Endellion, Ezra, Finch, Harper, Hugo, Isobel, Jude, Louise, Marigold, Mary, Moon, Oak, Opal, Rosemary, Saoirse, Silas, Thorn, Uisce
    • • •
    VOTE ON MY NAME LIST

My first thought: Elba. Hear me out!

It’s close to your birth name. It’s got an androgynous sound, but I feel like the link to Idris Elba gives it a more masculine feel than you would initially think. It has links to nature (via the related Alba “dawn”). It’s also a variant Anglicised form of the Irish unisex name Ailbhe (EL-va), which belonged to both a legendary female warrior and several male saints.

What do you think?
    ♀ J. M. (2015)
    ♂ K. V. (2017)
    ♀ A. H. (2019)

How about one of these:

Ellis
    I think this could be a nice transition from your current name and i think of it as androgynous leaning masculine (i only know one Ellis in real life, and he’s a boy).
    Dirk
    A more formal/traditional version of Dirt. More masculine than androgynous.
    Rowan
    Gaelic name, nature-related meaning, androgynous but with a long history of masculine-leaning use.
    Elm
    Also shares the “El” beginning or your current name, very nature-y, and quite unusual (cons: might bring to mind Elmo or Elmer)

Omg it's so funny that you suggested Ellis cause it's actually the name I ended up going with (a couple days ago, before this reply). Thank you!
    ENNISHE/HIM
    • • •
    • • •
    VOTE ON MY NAME LIST

I like - Caroline or Charlotte