Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Girl Name Struggle!

We're expecting a baby girl in November! Super excited, but so lost on names! We have a little boy named Wyatt, and it was SO HARD deciding on a boy name! I thought a girl name would be easier. But, nope.

When we were expecting Wyatt, our girl name was Eliza. I thought we'd name this baby Eliza if it turned out to be a girl, but Hubs thinks it's too close to my niece's name (Isla), so he doesn't want to use it, and now we're back to square one. I'm bummed because Eliza is my favorite name ever, so as I search around, nothing even comes close. To me, it's more important to name our daughter something we both love than anything else, but I can't make Hubs name his daughter something he doesn't want. My sister doesn't mind if we use Eliza, either. But anyway... Help!

. Our last name is boring, 3 syllables, begins with a hard K sound and ends with -on. I'd rather not have a first name that begins or ends with the same sounds.
    . Middle will be a family name, but so far is undecided.
    . I'd prefer something that's uncommon but still recognizable and not too weird.

. I've suggested & Hubs has vetoed: Alexis, Evangeline, Cybil, Finlay, Lydia, Agatha and Charlotte.
    . Hubs has suggested & I've vetoed: Layla
    . Currently on our "maybe" list: Abigail, Elaina, Thea and Freya.

I suggested Abigail; Hubs suggested the other two; Elaina was suggested by my sister. Abigail is my favorite of these four. I don't mind any of the others, but I certainly don't love them.
    We both also like Olivia, but it's so common right now. And Gemma, but Hubs has a sister named Jenna.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I've searched the internet a million times over, and I keep coming up empty.

Thank you!!

Little Laddies
    Asa Peregrine Jude
    Jasper Leo Augustin
    Bruno Sebastian Wilde
    Arthur Jules Hawthorn

Little Lassies
    Sylvie Ada Juniper
    Thea Marigold Noor
    June Eliza Primrose
    Etta Wildflower Jane

Hi there.

Wyatt is a great name. Good job there! It is too bad that you can't use Eliza; it is lovely.

I like Thea & Freya best from your 'maybe' list. They're sweet w/a little bit of old timey southern flair; perfect w/Wyatt. Neither are terribly common, yet not overly complicated either. I think that Abigail is a nice solid name. It's pretty popular though, if that bothers you. I like Elaina too, although prefer the Elena spelling. It looks sleeker to me.

Other suggestions:

Alice

Azalea

Beatrice

Beatrix

Clementine-It has a hard 'C' sound, but seems like a descent replacement for Eliza otherwise.

Celia

Cecily

Delia

Daisy

Dorothy

Dorothea

Eloise

Esme

Eliana

Flora

Greta

Holly

Hazel

Lena

Lucy

Louisa

Lilian

Liliana

Madeline

Maeve

Nora

Olive-Then you can do the nn Livy, which is the best part of Olivia w/out being so popular. .

Romilly

Rosalie

Stella

Zella

Hope this helps.
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere, Daisy, Clementine, Greta, Eleanor, Adeline, Felicity

Favorite boys: Colm, Ewan, Julian, Shiloh, Nolan

It's a shame about Eliza because it does fit well - but you're right, it's important you both love it

From your current list, I like Elaina (prefer the Elena spelling though), Thea and Freya!

Some other ideas

Heidi
    Elora
    Lois
    Phoebe
    Elsie
    Ada
    Mila
    Victoria
    Anna
    Mabel
    Josie
    Lillia
    Anya
    Emilia
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Mabli Charlotte|Una Adele|Cherith Eliza
    Sloane Felicity|Flora Penelope|Juno Delilah|Lois Aurelia
    Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty|Percy Evander|Bram Atticus
    Otto Elias|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus|Jesse Peregrine

I think Eliza is a little too close to Isla, especially if she is a cousin that your child would be around on a regular basis.

What about Aliza? (Uh-leez-uh). It's similar to Eliza, but doesn't share the long i sound with Isla, making it distinctive enough to work for cousins. Elise/Elisa, Elsie are also similar to Eliza but don't share the long i.

Other suggestions:

Lila
    Clara (it's a hard C, but it matches Eliza style-wise)
    Lucille
    Edith
    Holly
    Susannah
    Sylvia
    Julia
    Gweneth
    Annabel
    Evelyn
    Amelia
    Margot
    Felicity
    Iris
    Alice
    Jane
    Mae
    Ada
    Rose
    Married to the love of my life. 6.4.17. Teacher, bibliophile and name nerd, Baby #1 arriving 3/2020

Current favorites: Clara Josephine, Jane Eila, Eleanor Mae,Benjamin Michael, Elliot Joseph, Theodore Henry

Benjamin Michael, Elliott Joseph, Theodore Bowie, Henry Luca, Gideon James, Charles Grayson

Clara Eleanor, Mae Josephine, Ada Francesca, Rose Victoria, Eloise Susannah, Selah Colette, Elodie Diana

Guilty Pleasures: Agatha, Auden, Hadley, Ellington and Tucker.

I love the name Eliza too. It's too bad you can't use it. My favorites paired with Wyatt that have already been mentioned:

Hazel
    Maeve
    Felicity
    Fiona
    Josie
    Georgia

My suggestions:
    Willa
    Athena
    Harper

Best of luck!!

Eliza, Sybil, Abigail,Lydia, and Charlotte are among my favorite names. Some others I enjoy:
    Edith
    Daphne
    Phoebe
    Vera
    Bess
    Celia
    Virginia
    Dorothea
    Claudia
    Miriam
    Hannah
    Samantha
    Miranda
    Josephine
    Audrey
    Aurelia
    Augusta
    Lucretia
    Eva
    Zara
    Zora
    Olympia
    Genevieve
    Irene
    Joanna
    Clara
    Ellen
    Nell
    Last edited by erin beth; July 23rd, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Ellen Virginia * Nancy Eleanor * May Genevieve * Celia Madeleine * Audrey Claire * Bess Emilia
    Nathaniel Francis * Leo Edmund * Benedict Henry * Virgil Blaise * Joseph Malachi * Timothy Jerome

Also Liking: OONA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Miranda Kate *
    Sybil Josephine * Edith Augusta * Catherine Ginevra * Molly Catriona *

I have a very similar struggle and feel your pain! I’m due in December with my 4th baby girl and feel that I can’t use Eliza even though it’s my number one pick by far. My oldest daughter is Eva and I worry they are too similar for sisters. Have you thought about using Elizabeth with the optional nickname Eliza—that might be enough to satisfy hubby? I’ve considered this as well as using Aliza (as PP suggested). Personally I think Eliza and Isla are different enough—they feel different stylistically, different amount of syllables, and look very different on paper. Even if they are close cousins that see each other frequently, at the end of the day they aren’t living in the same household on a daily basis like siblings would. I would maybe work on convincing hubby a little more since he once loved it as well. Funny enough I think his suggestion of Layla also sounds very close to Isla and stylistically they feel more similar.

Some other ideas:

Ava (heavy on the vowel sounds like Eliza)
    Caroline (shares the long I sound of Eliza)
    Louisa ( has the “z” sound of Eliza)
    Zoe
    Claire/ Clara
    Annabel
    Margot
    Sophie
    Josephine

Best of luck to you!

Thank you all for the suggestions so far! There were several suggestions that we like but can't use because of other family members' names, such as Lillian and Annalise.

I've suggested a few more to the Hubs:
    . Magdalena, Azaela and Athena were vetoed.
    . Eliana and Elena (which was on my list before, but spelled Elaina) are both on the short list. Eliana is very pretty, but vowel-heavy, so I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think I like the less vowel-y Elena better.
    . Hubs likes Olive, but I don't, really... Olive as a nickname for Olivia is fine, though I would call her Liv.

Naming babies is hard!