Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How did you choose?

If you had more than one name in mind for your LO, how did you choose which one to go with if you loved all of the names equally?
    Rachel Elise

fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita

Maggie Olivia is coming sometime around 02/26/2020
    ...and so the countdown begins...8 days until due date!

Some other favorites
    Tessa Penelope & Rosie Eleanor
    Owen Thatcher & Jude Bellamy

Honestly? I ran them by my husband and gauged his reaction. There are many names that each of us adore but there's only so many names you can reasonably bestow upon a child plus there's the whole conundrum of "well, what if we only have this one baby? Or one girl/boy?" I get it. It's hard. However, hearing someone else's feedback helps immensely. If all else fails and you are equally devoted to all names, posting a poll on NB or even asking some trusted loved ones to vote could help?
    Alyssa

Elim Nathaniel James due Feb 2020 <3

"Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself"~ Coco Chanel

I always had this idea that I would put all the names out around me and sit on the floor with them. Then wait for the baby to kick. Whatever name is in the direction of the kick would be the name that baby kind of "chose". Then, if you don't get a good feeling from the name that it chose, then you know that you don't want to pick that one! No matter what, you'll have an answer (I think.. Haven't done this yet lol)

For us, my partner’s extreme pickiness narrowed it down to two, and from there, although I pretty much loved both equally, we went with the one that was less popular and that my partner preferred (I kept going back and forth between the two whereas he always loved Amelie more than Matilda, even though he was open to using Matilda if I wanted).

So really the ultimate decider was popularity - I ruled out Matilda in the end as it’s skyrocketed in popularity in Australia recently and I didn’t want a name in the top 20 (or the top 100 preferably, which Amelie isn’t).

We’d also been calling her Amelie for awhile when she was inside me and when she came out, although she didn’t necessarily look more like one than the other, it seemed strange to switch. Although she does have a head of dark hair and I associate the name Amelie with darker hair, probably because of the movie, and Matilda with lighter hair for some reason.

Now, although she’s only 10 days old, I couldn’t imagine her as anything but an Amelie and because it’s her name I now love it above all others!

I already had a list of names pre-pregnancy and just read them out to my SO. He vetoed all but about 3 or 4? And from there it was weighing up the pros and cons.

Reasons for deciding upon Harriet and not the others include not being as fond of the nickname options for the other names, knowing someone unpleasant that had one of them and how they sounded with our last name.
    Harriet Elizabeth Rose 'Hattie'
    Born December '18

Ideas for #2:

Florence Jane Charlotte 'Flo'

Alice. Poppy. Beatrice. Matilda. Clara. Martha. Molly.

Edward Augustus Charles 'Ted'

Charles. Frederick. Felix. Louis. Sebastian. Theodore. Isaac. Stanley.

We made a spreadsheet of my top 50 favorite names for each gender and did a process of elimination until we reached a top 5. We went back and forth between Daisy, Winifred nn Winnie, Beatrice and Beatrix nn Bea. One day Bea just felt like the one and we called her that for a long time! For a boy it was between Casper, Archie and Harry.
    Mama to Beatrix

Firsts: Dorothea ۰ Frances ۰ Winifred ۰ Josephine ۰ Harriet
    Middles: Mabel ۰ Ivy ۰ Violet ۰ Belle ۰ West

Firsts: Archie ۰ Theodore ۰ Casper ۰ George ۰ Harry
    Middles: Theodore ۰ August ۰ Alcott ۰ March ۰ Oscar

For me as time passed I would find that some names would lose their appeal so that left the names that I realised I wouldn’t go off, we also say the names out loud as though the child is here using different scenarios and in doing that I found some didn’t come as natural as others, it’s so so hard to name a little human, good luck with your choice!
    Neve • Nate • Flynn • Willow

I’m going through the same thing right now. Try and wait a while, and you’ll discover you get tired of some names you once liked. For my first pregnancy, I was dead set on Jamie, but after a couple of months it just lost its appeal and I settled on Milo. Repeat the name to yourself once in a while, and if you start having doubts or getting bored of it you’ll know it’s not the one.
    But don’t worry, once the baby is there whatever you chose will just stick! I can’t imagine my Milo being called anything else.
    Milo Peter 2015

Otis Henry is here! 💞

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.

@namergirl3, @tdfm, & @lectionn The baby’s father is no longer in the picture, so it’s just me deciding the name which makes it even harder. I’ve thought about doing a poll like Alyssa mentioned, but I’ve been hesitant about people reactions to the names. It might be a good idea though, because my close family is half involved/half not and I don’t really want to talk to them about names because they won’t be nice about it and my close friends have just said to go with whichever name I like best (oh, so helpful *eyeroll*). I’m also going to try harder to weigh the pros and cons of each name as @lectionn mentioned. I’ve kind of done it, but not too much - kind of just half thinking about it. Isla/Elim, Amelie, and Harriet are all wonderful names!

@futari That’s a cute idea! It’s kind of like the flip a coin and see how you feel about the result thing.

@cactusgram What adorable names!! That might be a good idea. Can I ask, what was your process of elimination?

@bohemianblossom & @josslyng I’m definitely hoping to just go off some names eventually. I have a ways to go until the baby gets here, so there’s plenty of time for that to happen. @josslyng I’ve tried the scenario thing and will for sure continue to do so because right now they all sound completely natural, except maybe Millie. @bohemianblossom I love Milo’s name!
    Rachel Elise

fur loves are Snickers, Mirabel, Sybil, & Rita

Maggie Olivia is coming sometime around 02/26/2020
    ...and so the countdown begins...8 days until due date!

Some other favorites
    Tessa Penelope & Rosie Eleanor
    Owen Thatcher & Jude Bellamy

Here's a pic of how we did it! We had two names go against each other (so in this example would pick between Beatrix and Claudia). I think this would work just as well for choosing a name on your own.

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 8.01.38 PM.jpg
    Last edited by cactusgram; July 21st, 2019 at 11:05 PM.
    Mama to Beatrix

Firsts: Dorothea ۰ Frances ۰ Winifred ۰ Josephine ۰ Harriet
    Middles: Mabel ۰ Ivy ۰ Violet ۰ Belle ۰ West

Firsts: Archie ۰ Theodore ۰ Casper ۰ George ۰ Harry
    Middles: Theodore ۰ August ۰ Alcott ۰ March ۰ Oscar