Menu

American sounding nicknames for foreign names

My current WIP is about a family who comes to the US from Italy in the 1910's. There are 3 kids/teens in the story that are born with Italian sounding names, but they want to assimilate and have more American sounding names.

Domenica will be called Sunny (Domenica is the Italian word for Sunday).
    Calogero will be called Charlie (Calogero is the Italian version of Charles).
    They were both born in Italy.

The baby of the family was born in the US and his parents name him either Amerigo or Americo, as an homage to their new home. I'm having trouble thinking of an American sounding nickname either.

There is an Americo in my way extended family and he goes by Rick. But my character is so not a Rick.

Any thoughts?
    Victoria Libera ♥ Freya Gabrielle ♥ Althea Loren ♥ Callum Ailis ♥ Lydia Josephine ♥ Sienna Carmella

Noah Teague ♥ Aleksander Bruce ♥ Sebastian Leonardo ♥ Rylan Henry ♥ Salvatore Lorenzo ♥ Declan James

How about Amerigo nicknamed Mike, a nickname that's as American as it can get I guess. It's also the only nickname I could think of that could possibly be derived from the name.

Also, Calogero isn't the Italian form of Charles; Carlo is the Italian form of Charles. Calogero is the Italian form of Ancient Greek Kalogeros meaning "beautiful elder" or "beautiful old man".

Maybe you can shorten Amerigo to Ames/Amos? Or Rico, but that doesn't sound super american.
    Wanda | 24 | statistics student | I brought marshmallows, let's burn this world down
    ~ ALLES ~
    sieht aus wie ein Gedicht
    wenn man sehr oft
    ~ ENTER ~
    drückt

for more posts on names, visit Vornamerei

Carlo is the Italian form of Carl, both meaning Man or Manly. Charles means "Free Man," which is similar, but not the same. But you're right. I should have said that Calogero has been Americanized in my family (and others) as Charles/Charlie.

Mike is a good suggestion but I'm not sure if I want to use it for my MC.
    Last edited by steviemid; July 24th, 2019 at 04:46 PM.
    Victoria Libera ♥ Freya Gabrielle ♥ Althea Loren ♥ Callum Ailis ♥ Lydia Josephine ♥ Sienna Carmella

Noah Teague ♥ Aleksander Bruce ♥ Sebastian Leonardo ♥ Rylan Henry ♥ Salvatore Lorenzo ♥ Declan James

It's a bit of a stretch but what about Alex?

I like Alex! I think it's okay that it's a stretch since Sunny only makes sense if you know what Domenica means. Thank you!