Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Had baby girl today, need help with her name...

Hi everyone,

I finally had my baby girl today after a long, painful labour. She’s gorgeous BUT, we still aren’t sure what name to go with - Amelie June or Matilda June.

The problem with Amelie is that there are varied pronunciations of the first syllable here in Australia and we have encountered some issues/confusion when we’ve said the name. It bugs me and I don’t want her to have issues with it. At the same time, the way we’re saying it is very much like in the film and I’ve had French people say our pronunciation is good.

The problem with Matilda is that it’s very popular here in Australia (it’s 13 this year) - in fact it seems it’s skyrocketing. That bothers me quite a bit but I don’t know if I just need to get over it? She’ll never have to explain or repeat her name if we go with this.

We love both names but each has a flaw. What do you think? I don’t feel she looks more like one than the other...

Thank you

I think Matilda June is better.

I really like Amelie June, however I think both are lovely, I just have a personal preference for Amelie.

Congratulations, by the way! So exciting!
    sunny margaret
    léonie evelyn
    cassia june
    ophelia belle

all those days in the sun, what I'd give to relive just one...
    robin augustus
    vincent mathias
    flynn leander
    aurelius tristan

I love both but Amelie June wins for me -it's lovely and i think people would get used to the pronunciation.
    Congratulatuons, by the way!
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Romilly Charlotte|Ginevra Snow|Ilaria Winter
    Ezra Apollo|Tristan Rafferty|Sholto Felix|Otto Elias

ABCD...
    Anya Camille|Bea Louisa |Carys Aurelia|Darcy Peridot
    Abel Lysander|Billy Paxton|Charles Ivor|Dash Henry

More names!

You can't go wrong with either, but my personal favourite is Matilda. I know it's popular, but if you love it I don't think it's an issue. I work with young children and rarely come across the name ... Top names aren't used nearly as much as they used to be. It has so much spunk and I love the association with Roald Dahl's Matilda.
    Anouk Vespera | Juno Silvestra | Liv Ramona
    Wren Isidore | Idris Autumn | Asa Meredith