Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I love the name Minnow

I'm curious what random strangers think about the name Minnow? I absolutely love it, but have gotten a lot of push back especially from my parents. I've always liked unique names. My sister's name is Coleen (co-lean) and have never met or heard of anyone with that name, which is what my baby girls middle name will be. Thoughts?

Minnow is quite sweet. It fits in with the animal name trend and also names like Willow, Wren, Winnie and Bonnie

Im not sure I'd personally use it but it could probably work
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Una Adele|Mabli Charlotte|Flora Penelope
    Sholto Felix|Percy Evander|Tristan Rafferty|Bram Atticus
    🎄Name advent🎄
    ☆Estella Mary and Shepherd Marley☆
    More

The sound is sweet, but I associate minnows with bait for fishing, or food for larger fish. It's not the most appealing image...

Is it the sound you like, or the nature/water connection? I bet you could find something similar that would get less pushback.
    My Lists
    Bird + Birding Baby Names // species names + notable naturalists
    Texas Inspired Baby Names // paying homage to the Lone Star State
    Nautical Baby Names // inspired by sailors + the deep blue sea
    The Golden Age of Detective Fiction // timeless characters + the writers who created them
    Hobbit Baby Names // botanical, medieval + gemstone names from the Shire
    Medieval Names for a Modern Baby // unusual names + surnames from historic rosters

You might consider using Minnow as a nickname/pet name instead of a given name. When she grows up, it might be hard to wear the name Minnow especially as it can typically relate to size and it will likely have a large teasing factor to it no matter her size.

Maybe consider Minerva? I would consider it on the same level of uniqueness (or even more so) than Coleen, so it would fit in that regard, and I can easily see Minnow as a cute pet name for it. Then again, you can really use any name and use whatever pet name you like. They don't have to relate.

I know about 4 Colleens. I think Minnow is very different from that. Colleen is an established familiar name, and not super common but also not weird. I agree with pps that Minnow would be a cute nickname, but I feel that its a bit too cutesy for a full name. Other animal names that are in style right now are animals that are strong and less cutesy, such as Bear, Wolf, or Hawk.

Little Laddies
    Asa Peregrine Jude
    Jasper Leo Augustin
    Bruno Sebastian Wilde
    Arthur Jules Hawthorn

Little Lassies
    Sylvie Ada Juniper
    Thea Marigold Noor
    June Eliza Primrose
    Etta Wildflower Jane

I agree with @kipperbo1. Minnow doesn't seem substantial, I feel like it would lead to teasing and I doubt a professional named Minnow would be taken very seriously. It'd be a cute nickname for something like Minerva, or even an unrelated name (like how some parents call their baby "Bumblebee" or "Sweet Pea" as a nickname).
    rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
    Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett

Other ideas for full names for Minnow...

Minerva
    Wilhelmina
    Amina
    Araminta
    Clementine
    Hermione
    Minuet
    Milena
    Jasmine

Little Laddies
    Asa Peregrine Jude
    Jasper Leo Augustin
    Bruno Sebastian Wilde
    Arthur Jules Hawthorn

Little Lassies
    Sylvie Ada Juniper
    Thea Marigold Noor
    June Eliza Primrose
    Etta Wildflower Jane

I love Minnow, but it might not be the easiest name for her to have, unfortunately. Meadow has a very similar sound and is also unique.
    girls: lucy, genevieve, artemis, luna, felicity, raven, temperance

boys: ezra, melchizedek, august, blake, fabian, reese, atticus

Minnow could be a cute pet name when she's little, but I don't think a grown woman would appreciate being called Minnow. I know I would not. They're fish bait.

As a nickname for a baby, I think Minnow is so sweet. As an actual name, I think it's a bad idea. I like the previous suggestion of Meadow as an alternative–Meadow Coleen is a nice combo. Willow Coleen is beautiful, too. As for names Minnow can be a nickname for: Jasmin, Yasmin, Mindy, Melinda, Miranda. Minna is also a usable but very rare alternative.