Menu

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Age at first kid?

Hi guys,

How old were you when you had your first kid? Or how old will you be?
    Last edited by blondeberry; July 7th, 2019 at 05:53 PM.

I'll be just a few months from 27 when this baby (our first) is born. Truth be told, we'd hoped to have been younger than that for our first, but it took over 3 years to conceive. I'd originally hoped to be totally done having kids by 30 but oh well. We are definitely in a better position now to have a baby than we were when we started trying at 22!

Your situation reminds me slightly of my mom and stepfather. He is nearly 16 years older than her and was in his early 40s when my younger sister was born. He already had a grown daughter from a previous marriage but originally felt like he was too old to start over with a newborn. He was still able to be a very involved father, to all of us. He wrestled with us, took us to events, took us camping, played sport with us, and did pretty much everything that fathers a lot younger than him did. Even though my younger sister is grown up now, he still has plenty of life left and will be able to walk her down the isle soon.

I guess I mean to show that fatherhood at 40 isn't the end of the world. It will be your body growing the baby, so there isn't really a risk there to him. My best advice is to not feel rushed. Periodically evaluate where you are at and see how you feel about trying then. Keep/get yourselves healthy and just enjoy life as you go
    Alyssa

mommy-to-be <3 Isla Rowan or Elim due Feb 2020 <3

"Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself"~ Coco Chanel

I was 25 (very nearly 26) and my SO was 25 when Hattie was born.

She wasn't planned but very welcome, we had originally planned to wait until our early thirties but when I found myself pregnant, we decided that her coming along a few years earlier wouldn't be the end of the world. We both had stable careers and had bought our home.

I think more than anything, feeling that stability before having a child is the most important thing. Whether you're 16 or 50, I feel like if you have that stability behind you, you'll be fine! In hindsight, we're kind of glad we started a bit earlier as well, we've always wanted more than one and this means we'll still be relatively young when they're teenagers.
    Last edited by lectionn; July 7th, 2019 at 06:10 PM.
    Harriet Elizabeth Rose 'Hattie'
    Born December '18

Ideas for #2:

Eleanor Poppy Charlotte

Florence. Beatrice. Alice. Matilda. Zara. Felicity. Clara. Julia. Victoria.

Arthur Theodore Charles

Theodore. Sebastian. Charles. Frederick.

I want to be around 26-28 for my first as I want to be out of uni and be able to support a child. I also doubt my family would support me if I was any younger (which shouldn't matter, but they already disagree with a lot of non-negotiable parts of my ideal future and I want at least one thing they approve of).
    Kennedy Lucy Myfanwy <3 Elijah Alex Christopher

Skyla | Veronica | Ayla | Sienna | Aria
    Harper | Addiena | Lila | Haven | Nevaeh
    Rosalie | Macy | Jasmine | Willow | Adelaide

Hunter | Grayson | Sawyer | Jensen | Max
    Tanner | Isaiah | Isaac | Landon | Zachary
    Ezra | Ryder | Kingston | Holden | Wilder

I was a few months off 26, my husband had just turned 25. I think it's less about age and more about stability -- I was the youngest first time mum in my mother's group by nearly a decade, but with my husband the longest (we met in high school, had been together for 10 years). We had both been at our jobs for a few years. We wanted kids and wanted to be done with having kids early on. I had my second and (probably) last two weeks after turning 29 and I couldn't be happier with how the timing has turned out.

Mummy to Rosalie Lyra ("Rosie") 17.01.16
    and Atticus Jon ("Kit") 27.03.19