Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Victoria vs Vittoria

I need some opinions. We know we definitely want a family name and were considering Domenica. We've recently changed our mind as a cousin had a baby girl and used that name.

Now were are either thinking Victoria (my grandmother) or Vittoria (my grandmother's grandmother). I like Vittoria. He likes Victoria.

What do you guys think?

I love Vittoria! With three syllables, I think she'll end up using a nickname (or receiving one/many from friends) in either case. So you should go with the full name you love most!

Quote Originally Posted by c'estlavie View Post
    I love Vittoria! With three syllables, I think she'll end up using a nickname (or receiving one/many from friends) in either case. So you should go with the full name you love most!
    Part of why I prefer Vittoria is that I do not like Vickie. I'm thinking we'll call her Toia (Toya) anyway, as a nod to my grandmother.

I like Victoria better. You could always call her Tori.

Unless you live somewhere Vittoria is the norm, I would use Victoria. Don't blame you for wanting to avoid Vicky though. Very icky.

I definitely think Vittoria is your best bet, especially if you'd like to avoid the Vicky nickname (which I don't blame you for - I'm not a fan either...) Vittoria still has your family namesake, and also, if Toia is for your grandmother (I'm assuming this was Victoria's nickname?), then you get both women into one namesake which sounds perfect to me.

Otherwise, if he really won't budge from Victoria, you could use Victoria in the middle (so as to avoid that nickname) and use something else you love and can agree on for the first.

Puppy-Mama to my boys, Wynn & Cove

Ari Emrys . Wim August . Pip Ambrose . Jem Atlas . Kit Jesper . Asa Freyr . Fox Aurelian . Aro Tadhg . Tor Peregrine
    Gaia Idony . Lumi Phaedra . Juno Adelaide . Iris Aviva . Anya Ceridwen . Clio Sunniva . Echo Freyja . Fern Artemisia

I really like the nickname Vic for Victoria, but as a full name I definitely think Vittoria is much more beautiful and romantic.
    💐💐💐
    ❤ Clementine Edith Pearl ❤
    Dorothy Lilac • Gwendolen Bee • Heidi Rosemary • Lavender Belle
    Lettie Rosalind • Marguerite Joy 'Mae' • Rosamund Lane • Winifred Hope

❤ Lionel Forrest Jude ❤
    Clement Wilde 'Clay' • Clyde Peregrine • Edmund Wolfe • Fergus Frederick
    Percy Noble • Reuben Sage • Seamus Bear • Stanley Ocean

I much prefer Victoria. I actually don't mind Vicky, but if you dislike it, there are loads of other nickname options.
    syd altair + hamish dorian + jerome sirius +
    alec jethro + crispin ripley

margot rosemyrtle + thora ingaret + orlaith tamsin +
    magali catarina + violet jessamine

Wow lots of differing opinions on this one!

If it's helpful to offer any more information I can add this:

My grandmother (living) goes mostly by Vickie but her sisters called her Toia. Part of why I want to avoid Vickie is because that's her name. My partner just doesn't like the sound of it.

We probably won't call her Tori as a nickname because he has a cousin (more like a brother) named Salvatore that goes by Tory.

Her middle name will be Claire or Quinn, as those are family names on his side.

Her last name will be two syllables that starts with Gr and ends in O.

I prefer Victoria though Vittoria is lovely too, however I agree that in a non-Italian speaking country people might stumble on their pronunciation of the name or mistake it for Victoria. If you live in an English speaking country, I'd say Victoria is your safest bet.
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    Leo Arthur James ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Ffion + Isabel + Zuelia + Robin
    GP Crushes: Xiomara + Zena + Moon + Imre + Zebulon