Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nicknames for Oslo

Baby is coming soon. And I think we’ve settled on Oslo as his name. But i’m Curious what nicknames are out there for Oslo. The obvious one is Ozzy. But we already have a son Oliver who goes by Ollie, and i’m Wondering if Ozzy is too close to that. What less obvious nicknames are there?

I think you could get away with Ozzy and Ollie

Oz might work -its instinctive but it has a different end to Ollie

Lo, O, Lol, Sol or Solly maybe
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Una Adele|Sholto Felix|Percy Evander
    double barrelled..
    Emilie-Camille Lucy|Cora-Mae Elspeth
    Alba-Jane Poppy|Hadley-Maeve Isla
    Carys-Eleni June|Adelaide-Estelle Margot
    More

Oslo is a super cool name! I think Ozzy and Ollie would be quite cute matching nicknames while their full names are distinct. I like all of the above suggestions, particularly Oz and Lo. LoLo, Loie, and Zo would work. You could also consider tying in the middle name or initial as part of the nickname.

Great name!
    Other then the nn's given, I can only think of Loy... I think Ozzy and Ollie could work.

Onslow could be a full name to Oslo, using Oslo for a nn?
    Joan | Felicity | Evangeline | Winifred | Elizabeth | Mae | Alice | Dorothy | Bernadette | Eleanor

William | Conrad | Leonard | Ian | Lionel | Barnaby | Isaac | Hugo | Grover | Harvey

The only one I can think of on my own is Oz. After looking at the other replies, I think Lo, or Loey would be nice too.
    Considering:

Charlotte Isabella | Evelyn Rose | Esther Charlotte | Esther Rose | Evelyn Charlotte

Benjamin Joseph | Daniel Joseph | Daniel Thomas | Joshua Thomas

Oslo, called Sully would be cute, but I think that Ozzy is definitely workable. I know a Chloe and a Zoe who are sisters, and they’ve survived under the same roof just fine.
    Lucille Charlotte • Marigold Vivian • Hazel Pollyanna • Olive Primrose • Annabell Clara • Reeve Ophelia • Auden Josephine • Cleary Winifred • Wilder Jane • Dolly Ruth

Wilder Clarence • Fox Peter • Paxton Shepherd • Gideon Jack • Brave Emerson • Asher Whitten • Fisher Knox • Hawthorn Charles • Roux Caspian • Boone Thomas

Oslo is a great name! I agree Ozzy and Ollie are quite similar but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. How do you feel about Ozzy itself? I sense it might not be the style you're drawn to. It has quite a different feel to Ollie.

His nickname can really be anything you like. It's a name you'll use affectionately amongst the family so I don't think it needs to be an obvious connection to his full name. I think sharing one of two sounds or letters from Oslo is enough to ground it. I'd suggest Sid, Sal, Lou, Louie, Leo, Les, Moe, Bo, Bowie, Snow, Cruz, Zeus, Zeke, Zero and Zuri.

I think Ollie and Sid, Ollie and Bo, Ollie and Zeke, Ollie and Zuri sound great together. Does anything stand out for you?

Oslo makes for a nice name -- it fits in well with the popular place-name & -o ending trends, but also isn't so common, so stands out nicely. I'm curious too: does Oslo's link to Norway mean something to you, or is it just a name you like?

Re: nickname. I think in order to make them less match-y just drop the repeated -ie -- Ollie & Oz would work well as sibling nicknames, and Oz would be my favourite nickname for Oslo in general.

TTC 2017
    Puppy-Mama to my boys, Wynn & Cove

We picked Oslo for its meaning, which is “meadow beneath the ridge”. We’d been searching for a nature name, but wanted one that meant something to us. “Meadow beneath the ridge” is a perfect description of the area where we live. After we chose the name we discovered that we do have ancestors from near Oslo, but that was just a cool after-the-fact discovery, not the reason for the name choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kachenka View Post
    Oslo is a great name! I agree Ozzy and Ollie are quite similar but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. How do you feel about Ozzy itself? I sense it might not be the style you're drawn to. It has quite a different feel to Ollie.

His nickname can really be anything you like. It's a name you'll use affectionately amongst the family so I don't think it needs to be an obvious connection to his full name. I think sharing one of two sounds or letters from Oslo is enough to ground it. I'd suggest Sid, Sal, Lou, Louie, Leo, Les, Moe, Bo, Bowie, Snow, Cruz, Zeus, Zeke, Zero and Zuri.

I think Ollie and Sid, Ollie and Bo, Ollie and Zeke, Ollie and Zuri sound great together. Does anything stand out for you?

I like Ozzy. And I feel like Oz and Ozzy are the two most natural nicknames, so they’ll happen regardless, unless we make a conscious effort to persuade people otherwise. I just don’t want my Ollie (who goes by Ollie almost always) to feel like he got cloned or something. I don’t know, he might not even care, or in the end he might grow up preferring Oliver, who knows. Naming is tricky

We have considered not choosing a nickname for Oslo and just seeing what comes about. Because like you said, the nickname could end up being something completely unrelated, or not so obviously related, to his name. I really like a lot of your suggestions. Leo particularly, since it was another name we considered. (The ‘O’ ending goes so well with our surname) And Snow, just because it’s different. I like the Lo suggestion from other commenters. And I came up with Solo because I think it’s cute, but then wondered if it sounded too Star Wars-ie.