Menu

Roland or Homer?

Hello,

We've narrowed it down to Roland and Homer.
    My partner really wants Homer but our the last name (which is very German and 4 syllables long) ends in -er and I think that sounds repetitive. What do you think? Is it ok to have first and last name end in -er? It just sounds clunky to me.

Thanks for any input.

Homer unfortunately is all Simpson to me now. Roland is nice.

Little Laddies
    Asa Maxwell Jude
    Jasper Leo Augustus

Little Lassies
    Sylvie Ada Juniper
    Thea Marigold Noor

Roland is IMO much more useable than Homer.
    Vote on my names:
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9870842

𝐼𝒻 𝐼 𝒽𝒶𝒹 𝒶 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎 𝒷𝑜𝓎 𝓉𝑜𝒹𝒶𝓎:
    𝐵𝑒𝓃-𝒜𝓂𝒾

𝐼𝒻 𝐼 𝒽𝒶𝒹 𝒶 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎 𝑔𝒾𝓇𝓁 𝓉𝑜𝒹𝒶𝓎:
    𝒥𝓊𝒹𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒲𝒾𝓃𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝑅𝓊𝓉𝒽

ⓕⓤⓣⓤⓡⓔ ⓑⓐⓑⓔⓢ
    𝐸𝓈𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒢𝒶𝓁𝒾, 𝐸𝓋𝑒 𝐿𝑒𝓃𝑜𝓇𝑒, 𝒩𝑒𝓁𝓁 𝑀𝒾𝓇𝒾𝒶𝓂, 𝒮𝒶𝓈𝒸𝒽𝒶 𝐿𝑒𝓋 ❤️

I do not like the combo of a first and last name that end in the same letter or sound. Also when i first hear Homer i think of the Simpsons and I'm not sure that it has the best connotation.
    I really like Roland and the huge possibilities of nicknames. I'd say go with Roland, but if you really love Homer, go with Homer.
    Twin Set

Astrid and Augustus . Bellatrix and Beauregard . Daisy and Dougal . Kaeden and Killian . Lunaria and Levi . Orabella and Obediah . Wildflower and Wrangler

Human to dogs Carmel, Rainier Paxton, and Ryder James, kitten Phinneas McDougal, and various foster animals

〉〉More Names〈〈

I actually really love Homer. But if you think its repetitive, what about...

Herbert
    Hubert
    Harold
    Howard
    Raymond
    Norman
    Horace
    Rodney
    Rhodri
    Joan | Felicity | Evangeline | Winifred | Elizabeth | Mae | Alice | Dorothy | Bernadette | Eleanor

William | Conrad | Leonard | Ian | Lionel | Barnaby | Isaac | Hugo | Grover | Harvey

I definitely prefer Roland as a name.
    The repetitive ending isn't ideal either
    Olive Margaret / 21.10.18

Ginny Florence
    Fay Marigold
    Cecily Fearne
    Eadie Seraphina
    Delphie Claire
    Elma Josephine

Dustin James
    Grady Theodore
    Edwin Cain
    Reggie Maxwell
    Lennox Peter
    Remy Graham

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned before me, The Simpsons kind of ruined Homer as a given name (I can just imagine the "Doh!" comments he'd be taunted with). It's a real pity, as the Greek poet namesake is a great one.

For that reason, I prefer Roland.

*Come to think of it, one of my favourite Australian book series growing up, "Tomorrow When the War Began", included a main character by the name of Homer Yannos, and honestly, after the initial funny association with the cartoon character, within no time that Simpsons association was forgotten. So I'd say that Homer could definitely work, but yeah, do be prepared for the inevitable pop culture association. Oh, and to answer your question in regard to the repeated -er endings, I think it very much depends on the surname, its length and the other sounds in it. It could work, if there were no long O or prominent M sounds in it, I think (something like Homer Armbruster might not sound too great, but Homer Beckenbauer doesn't sound too bad at all.
    Last edited by sunniva; June 18th, 2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: *

Puppy-Mama to my boys, Wynn & Cove

CURRENT INTERESTS
    Artemisia . Caspera . Orana . Adelaide . Ysella . Galateia . Araminta . Calypso . Idony . Otrera
    Juniper 'Pip' . Esra . Idris . Banjo . Caspian . Iluka . Sage . Tadhg . Wim . Bellamy