Menu

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Irish Name Lover

Hey there I’m not TTC or anything but I like planning things in my head. I really love Irish names and really want to use them someday on my children, but I don’t live in Ireland and I fear that the names would get butchered. What do you guys think? Should I just go for it? My name gets mistaken for Hannah all the time, I don’t know if that’s sort of the same thing but it’s never bothered me too much! I would love some feedback on my list I have as well, thanks everyone!

Girls-
    Saoirse (seer-sha)
    Niamh (neev)
    Maeve (mayv)
    Caoimhe (kee-vah)
    Roisin (ro-sheen): not too sure about this one, afraid people might call her Raisin

Boys-
    Cian (kee-an)
    Seamus (shay-mus)
    Eoin (oh-wen)
    Cillian (kill-e-an)
    annabelle | teenberry | dog mom to cassie

planning ahead:

Genevieve Ophelia - Maeve Rosalind - Catherine Elysia - Ines Victoria - Elizabeth June - Madeleine Tessa - Elodie Pearl - Wilhelmina Bea “Mina” & Philippa Margot “Pippa”

Sebastian Leo - Philip Tobias - August James - Clark Alexander - Harrison Samuel - Asa Maxwell - Seamus John - Cillian Arthur & Quentin Thomas

names without middles: Nolan - Sawyer - Myles - Cian - Niamh - Saoirse - Michaela

I think Maeve is super usable, I know like 3 in the US here and it’s easily pronounceable. Saoirse and Niamh people will take some time to get used to but they’ll get the hang of it. I don’t like Caoimhe is usable, although I do like it. I think all your boys names are fine.

Little Laddies
    Judah Raphael
    Maxim Everett
    Thiago Julien

Little Lassies
    Willa Margot
    Esme Felicity
    Ayla Juniper
    Noa Vivienne

Quote Originally Posted by kipperbo1 View Post
    I think Maeve is super usable, I know like 3 in the US here and it’s easily pronounceable. Saoirse and Niamh people will take some time to get used to but they’ll get the hang of it. I don’t like Caoimhe is usable, although I do like it. I think all your boys names are fine.
    Thank you so much for your input I feel like Saoirse isn’t too bad due to the actress and Niamh isn’t that bad either. I wasn’t too sold on the look of Caoimhe but I do love the pronunciation.

planning ahead:

Genevieve Ophelia - Maeve Rosalind - Catherine Elysia - Ines Victoria - Elizabeth June - Madeleine Tessa - Elodie Pearl - Wilhelmina Bea “Mina” & Philippa Margot “Pippa”

Sebastian Leo - Philip Tobias - August James - Clark Alexander - Harrison Samuel - Asa Maxwell - Seamus John - Cillian Arthur & Quentin Thomas

names without middles: Nolan - Sawyer - Myles - Cian - Niamh - Saoirse - Michaela

Saoirse looks beautiful as spoken and has lovely meaning, I would use it in a heartbeat, but I feel like there are better known and less popular English names.
    ° Alice Morwenna Delyth ° Charlotte Rosalie Saga ° Dorothea Violet Esther ° Freya Gwenllian Louise ° Helena Eponine Bridget ° Isabella Beatrice Thisbe ° Juliet Morgana Giselle ° Melody Anastasia Carys °

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress View Post
    Saoirse looks beautiful as spoken and has lovely meaning, I would use it in a heartbeat, but I feel like there are better known and less popular English names.
    Thank you for your opinion! I do agree with you on the fact that theres better known and less popular english names that I consider as well, I just really love the meaning of Saoirse which is “liberty” and the pronunciation!

planning ahead: