Menu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hi there.

I would absolutely go for it! I know a family here in the midwest w/five Irish named kids and they don't regret it at all. In fact, a few are on your lists.

Here are my thoughts on the names you like:

Girls-

Saoirse (seer-sha)-I don't know why I can't get into this name. It just sounds a little too shush-ee for me. It's fine though. It will get misspelled and mispronounced, but it's worth it if you love it.

Niamh (neev)-This is lovely! It will get misspelled and mispronounced as well, but I think that it's worth it to go w/the authentic spelling. Such a smart, feminine yet not overly frilly name.

Maeve (mayv)-This has a very similar feeling to Niamh, but it's a lot easier for people in the US.

Caoimhe (kee-vah)-Nobody will get this at first, but it's so pretty! I'd use it anyway. The spelling is beautiful.

Roisin (ro-sheen)-LOL, Raisin. I never though of that, but you may be right...I don't care for it much, because it just reminds me of the boy name Ross.

Boys-
    Cian (kee-an)-This is nice. I think it's simple enough. Very cute yet boyish.

Seamus (shay-mus)-I love this one. People will call him 'see-miss' at first, but it's such a handsome name.

Eoin (oh-wen)-Hm. This name is actually really popular spelled Owen. That may make this one extra confusing. I do really like it spelled both ways. It's gentle yet rugged at the same time.

Cillian (kill-e-an)-Love it. So glad you did the 'C' spelling! That looks way nicer than Killian, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
    Fur mommy to Amelia Skye, Artemis Sebastian & Fiona Beatrix

Favorite girls: Guinevere Azalea, Eleanor Davita, Greta Adeline

Favorite boys: Colm Phineas, Julian Albert, Ewan David

Quote Originally Posted by michellem View Post
    Hi there.

I would absolutely go for it! I know a family here in the midwest w/five Irish named kids and they don't regret it at all. In fact, a few are on your lists.

Here are my thoughts on the names you like:

Girls-

Saoirse (seer-sha)-I don't know why I can't get into this name. It just sounds a little too shush-ee for me. It's fine though. It will get misspelled and mispronounced, but it's worth it if you love it.

Niamh (neev)-This is lovely! It will get misspelled and mispronounced as well, but I think that it's worth it to go w/the authentic spelling. Such a smart, feminine yet not overly frilly name.

Maeve (mayv)-This has a very similar feeling to Niamh, but it's a lot easier for people in the US.

Caoimhe (kee-vah)-Nobody will get this at first, but it's so pretty! I'd use it anyway. The spelling is beautiful.

Roisin (ro-sheen)-LOL, Raisin. I never though of that, but you may be right...I don't care for it much, because it just reminds me of the boy name Ross.

Boys-
    Cian (kee-an)-This is nice. I think it's simple enough. Very cute yet boyish.

Seamus (shay-mus)-I love this one. People will call him 'see-miss' at first, but it's such a handsome name.

Eoin (oh-wen)-Hm. This name is actually really popular spelled Owen. That may make this one extra confusing. I do really like it spelled both ways. It's gentle yet rugged at the same time.

Cillian (kill-e-an)-Love it. So glad you did the 'C' spelling! That looks way nicer than Killian, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your opinion! I feel the same way about “Cillian” over “Killian”, the “Kill” is off putting in the K spelling. Seamus is one of my favourites too, I actually know one! Your thoughts on the girls are lovely too!!
    annabelle | teenberry | dog mom to cassie

planning ahead:

Genevieve Ophelia - Maeve Rosalind - Catherine Elysia - Ines Victoria - Elizabeth June - Madeleine Tessa - Elodie Pearl - Wilhelmina Bea “Mina” & Philippa Margot “Pippa”

Sebastian Leo - Philip Tobias - August James - Clark Alexander - Harrison Samuel - Asa Maxwell - Seamus John - Cillian Arthur & Quentin Thomas

names without middles: Nolan - Sawyer - Myles - Cian - Niamh - Saoirse - Michaela

Niamh, Maeve, Cian, Cillian & Seamus are my favourites from your list! I know a Niamh, Cian and a Seamus and once people have an understanding of the name it's not so hard to remember them! Maeve seems to be super in right now so I don't think it's too far out there that you'd constantly get mispronunciations of it. Or, as an alternative, you could use the Neve, Killian, or Kian spellings to avoid that altogether. They do look a lot softer with the original spellings though... Over all, I think if you really love them, you should use them!
    Astoria Maven Winter - Juliette Aurelia Dawn
    Acadia Solstice Faye - Adaline Freya Leonore - Adelaide Viola Wren - Avalon Wisteria Moon
    Cecily Runa Lore - Eleonora Calliope Fern - Elowen Meridia Fawn - Evaria Lumen Fleur
    Lumina Sonnet Ren - Lydia Guinevere Snow - Rosalind Emilia Dove

vote | listography

Do you live in the UK? I think they're all hard to wear outside of the UK, however Niamh, Maeve, Cian and Cillian are either well known (Niamh) or easy to pronounce, so I think they're safe. Saoirse, Caoimhe, Roisin (I see your worry, but they don't sound alike so the fact they look alike might be OK), Seamus and Eoin aren't phonetic by any means so might be considered unusable if you're not living in the UK. It just depends on where you live, although I can't really picture a name so obviously Irish on someone who has no Irish in them.

eryn.
    ayla jasmine ~ daisy aurelia ~ siena jolie ~ emilia maeve ~ lily arabella ~ saskia willow ~ anna cynthia rose

I'm not American, so I don't know how the names would be received there, but all of the above would be perfectly usable in the UK - although I would be surprised to meet an Eoin or Caoimhe who wasn't Irish. I think Niamh, Maeve, Cian, and Seamus would be the most usable in America.
    Harriet Morgana ۰ Philippa Nimue
    Marianne Queniva ۰ Lucia Clemency

Alexander Evren ۰ Edwin Ambrosius
    Dorian Beowulf ۰ Rupert Caradoc

Eald Englisc:
    Annis ۰ Ardith ۰ Cwen ۰ Elvia ۰ Nelda
    Lucan ۰ Oswald ۰ Feran ۰ Godwin ۰ Lufian