Menu

names for a french gal

hello!!

ok, so, I'm writing a story, and the main character is part-french, part-british and like, idk what to name her. She spent most of her life in france, and like, i still haven't decided much of her background, but i was wondering if you could give me suggestions for english names (entirely), or half-half (first name french, last name "english" and vice-versa) or entirely french. Nothing too common pls and thank u <333

(p.s.: the story is set in 1994 and the main character is 16-17 years old)

If the character is half-French and half-British, you might want to go for a more common or 'pronounceable' French name. Also keep in mind that certain names are pronounced very differently when French vs English people say certain names, the pronunciations are completely different.

For example the English would say lee-uh for Lea whereas the French would say lay-uh. Most of the names I have here are generally the same or very similar pronunciations between the two. But if you're looking for a good bilingual name, a good rule of thumb would be to stay away from the R and the J sound, which tends to be the most different between the two languages.

You could look at:
    Manon
    Gabrielle
    Eloise
    Delphine
    Sylvie
    Camille
    Annabelle
    Amelie
    Simone
    Natalie / Nathalie
    Sophie
    Susanne
    Isabelle
    Helene
    Louise
    Colette
    Anne
    Dominique
    Gentlemen: James Milo - Theodore Greyson - Matthias Henry - Bennett Prosper - Finn Endymion

Ladies: Robin Tessa - Jocelyn Pearl - Larkin Ophelia - Clara Juniper - Vesper Maryse

Teenberry - Author - Book Lover - Musical Fanatic

I'd do Eloise.
    Alice Sybil, Violet Georgiana, Lydia Isobel,
    Eloise Marguerite, Jane Philippa
    Andrew Edmund, Charles Leopold, Thomas Laurence,
    George Wilfred, Edward Isidore

* Favourites *
    Thea Adrienne - Agnes Adair - Alma Greer
    Nel Audra - Bram Percy

* Currently like *
    Hector - Frey -Walt - Gregor - Ingrid - Pia - Percy - Ian - Corin - Laurens - Lyra - Hilde - Dorota - Joris - Milas - Ines - Vera - Marit

* GP or does not sound good in Dutch *
    Adrian - Bramwell - Emrys - Pascoe - Faraday - Barnabas - Prior - Pyotr
    Hesper - Greer - Solveig - Parnell - Junot - Tuppence - Endellion - Arianell