Menu

Question Surname for a character

I am writing a story at present but I find myself unable to name one of my characters. He is not the protagonist but an important side character. The story is period fiction; it takes place in the mid-1700s. The character I'm trying to name is British, and personality-wise he is very kind, dependable, and likable and he tries to see the best in people. He has the rank of Colonel so if you suggest a name make sure it doesn't sound bad paired with the title.

The first names I'm considering are:

Charles
    Daniel
    Gabriel
    Martin
    Thomas
    Timothy
    William

Feel free to suggest another, though. My main problem is the last name however; I'm fairly sure I'll choose whatever of these first names goes with the last name I choose. I'd really appreciate any help, thanks for reading!

I might need to mention more details. I want a last name which sounds fairly old-fashioned but also familiar, and also it should sound distinctly English. I think it would sound best if it were longer than one syllable - about 2 to 4 would work best. I'd like it to fit with the character, so nothing too stuffy-sounding.

Charles Aston
    Daniel Sinclaire
    Gabriel Lamar
    Martin Allard
    Thomas Delaney
    Timothy Bannerman
    William Courtenay

you can mix and match the names however you like of course, these are just the ones I'm partial to. Also if you're just looking for english surnames between 2 and 4 syllables try here

Some last name suggestions:

Dillinger
    Hawthorne
    Winters
    Everett
    Gallagher
    Jameson
    Francis
    Campbell
    4-11-2020 Becoming a Mrs.

Euro-Inspired: Anastasia ~ Anneliese ~ Annika ~ Isadora ~ Marina ~ Nadia ~ Soren

Modern: Aaron ~ August ~ Bennett ~ Fiona ~ Georgia ~ Harrison ~ Holden ~ Joseph ~ Phoebe ~ Wesley

Short & Sweet: Ezra ~ Greta ~ Ian ~ Ivy ~ Maren ~ Nola ~ Owen ~ Ruby ~ Willa

Vintage: Alice ~ Dorothy ~ Everett ~ Frederick ~ Louisa ~ Rosemary ~ Sylvia ~ Theodore ~ Vivian