Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Scandi/West African boy needs a first name!

Hello fellow nameberries!

I have been lurking this forum since we found out the baby we were was a boy back in December and really enjoyed all name suggestions posted here! Baby boy was born a couple of days ago and I thought picking his first namn would be easy since we had narrowed it down to two options. Turns out, it is not at all easy!

I would really like some new suggestions and ideas of what to name him!

Backround is: Im Scandinavian, living in Scandinavia with my boyfriend who is born and raised in West Africa. We plan on living in Scandinavia in the foreseeable future and we want a name that works in Scandinavia, works in West Africa and in English speaking countries. I am not overly fond of traditional Scandinavian names and would like to stay away from overly popular names.

Baby boy will have two honour names, one traditional from my boyfriend’s tribe and a male version of one of my names which honours my mother and her beloved grandmother. The traditional name sounds like Ati and the male version name satts with a L and ends in a -us sound.

We narrowed down our lists to two names before he was born:

Leander - family name on my side. Works in both our countries but not common where we live. We just don’t feel like it is THE name. Boy friend told me this morning he feels like its not the right name and I agree. This was my top choice during pregnancy.

Sylvester - we like it because it works in our countries, is not very common but well known. We think it sounds handsome. Just not sure it is THE name.

Runner-ups:
    Amos - I don’t like the Scandinavian pronunciation and not sure we could get people to use the English one.

Amias - i really like but doesnt work in West Africa

Augustin - too close in sound to future possible girl’s name
    Thomas - a bit too ”boring” in my opinion. Boy friend likes

Hopefully you made it to the end of this post Pls give me some new suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations on your baby boy! I'm not sure what does or doesn't work in West Africa but I hope there's something here that stands out. I've listed names that fit similar patterns as the six you mentioned. All the best naming your son, I hope you'll let us know what you decide on.

Everett, Sullivan, Vincent, Donovan, Sebastian, Caleb, Pearce, Ansel, Phineas, Maurice, Cyrus, Lawrence, Eleazar, Connor, Lysander, Alister, Evander, Dominic, Jerome, Solomon, Rowan, Graham, Hamlin, Jameson, Preston, Wilfred, Dashiell, Carmichael, Emil

Thank you! He is just so perfect!

I like Cyrus and Sullivan! I also like Jerome and my boy friend had it on his list but not sure how well it works where we live. Evander is really cool but boy friend doesnt like. Will run Lysander by him instead.

Thank you so much!

💐💐💐
    ❤ Clementine Edith Pearl ❤
    Dorothy Lilac • Gwendolen Bee • Heidi Rosemary • Lavender Belle
    Lettie Rosalind • Marguerite Joy 'Mae' • Rosamund Lane • Winifred Hope

❤ Lionel Forrest Jude ❤
    Clement Wilde 'Clay' • Clyde Peregrine • Edmund Wolfe • Fergus Frederick
    Percy Noble • Reuben Sage • Seamus Bear • Stanley Ocean

Names I like that may work?

Barnaby
    Bravery
    Callister
    Calloway
    Elijah
    Eliot
    Evander
    Eskander
    Faraday
    Gavriel
    Ishmael
    Iskander
    Iskender
    Kasidy
    Lysander **
    Rochester *
    Samuel
    Somersby
    Theodore
    Tolliver *
    Willoughby

* Think I like these best for you from this list
    ** This may be too close to your previous top pick and I don't know if you want 2 L names in a row for him but I like the name
    Last edited by dinosaursroar; June 4th, 2019 at 02:55 PM.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Calloway and Faraday is really cool, never considered them before and will see what boyfriend thinks! Also like Ishmael and Lysander!

St

Should have been more clear, you are right All biblical names and most english names works very well. It’s mostly about that certain names is hard for West africans to pronunace (at least for our reference group of boy friend’s family and friends). For that reason names like Amias and Aramis (which I like) do not work very well.

Thank you for your suggestions! I love Valentin but I do not like the nick name he will likely receive.

Florian, Cosimo and Evander has been on our lists but ruled out.

Can’t use Philip, Leon or Atlas for family reasons.

I like Solomon, Calvin and Dorian and will run them by boy friend.

Congratulations on the birth of your son!!!
    ___ L-Us Ati ___
    Sounds like his perfect name is coming together lovely
    From your list of you've ruled out your top pick
    Not that into your back up name and just based on that you don't LOVE your other contenders... And that they either end in s like one of his middles or are too close to what you like for a daughter... I think you're right that using these names to find a while new list is a good plan

I like your list, the names are very solid and I love that you're keeping in mind all the places his name will need to work well for his life.

Thank you so much for the kind words!