Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name Combo rules?

Does anyone have any rules for how they place names in combinations?

I dislike running letter eg Magnolia Alaia
    I am coming around to both names ending in the same letter/sound eg Camila Roxanna
    I kinda love Alliteration eg Wilhelmina Wren

What are your rules when placing names together in combinations?
    🎔listography🎔
    TTC 2020

Sylvie Cordelia Raine ✦ Evelyn Lilia Juno ✦ Rosalind Calista Jade
    Milena Juliette Sena

Silas Raphael Fynn ★ Asher Leonidas Beau ★ Alaric Evander Kai
    Tristan Josiah Hugo

I try to avoid repeating sounds (e.g. I wouldn't put two favourites as combo Fay Seraphina as both have a strong "fff" sound - very picky Haha)
    My only other "rule" is I try to balance styles (e.g. one traditional, one quirky or I wouldn't have two nature names - such as my daughter Olive Margaret )
    Olive Margaret / 21.10.18

Ginny Florence
    Fay Marigold
    Cecily Fearne
    Eadie Seraphina
    Delphie Claire
    Elma Josephine

Dustin James
    Grady Theodore
    Willem Cain
    Reggie Maxwell
    Lennox Peter
    Remy Graham

Thank you for the reply <3
    🎔listography🎔
    TTC 2020

Milena Juliette Sena

Tristan Josiah Hugo

I avoid names that end / begin in the same letter and sound, like Ophelia Alice. I'll make an exception to this for certain letters that flow into each other, like the N in Oberon North.
    I avoid alliteration, like Alice Avalon.

I like to have repeating sounds to tie my combos together, like Ophelia Fawn or Cosima Rose.
    I need all of my combos to have at least one word name (and lately I've been even more strict with this rule, making each combo with one nature name).

I have a mild form of synesthesia where it's not about individual letters, but whole worlds sometimes have a feeling or color or image attached, and those need to be harmonious or the combo doesn't work for me. For example, Cosima feels like a dark midnight blue, while Rose is a dusty pink. These two colors are very pleasing to my mind's eye, so Cosima Rose works for me. But even though I love the sound of Wren, it feels like golden-brown with bits of yellow, and that clashes with Cosima in my mind. Therefore, Cosima Wren doesn't work for me, even though it looks pretty on paper and the sounds are nice together.
    Along the same lines, I need my names and combos to be evocative - if I don't get any impressions from the name, no images or colors, then I won't use it. I have to have a connection to the name; it has to bring light or color or imagery to my mind.
    Caspian Forest ✨ Rowan Taliesin ✨ Oberon Fen ✨ Albion Oak ✨ Emrys Valerian ✨ Tristan Nightingale ✨ Endymion North

Lavender Alice ✨ Nimue Cypress ✨ Willow Avalon ✨ Eve Wisteria ✨ Ophelia Meadow ✨ Morwenna Oceane ✨ Cosima Rose ✨ Juliet Snow ✨ Pandora Lily ✨ Sylvie Belladonna

Considering:
    Peregrine Tyr ✨ Gideon / Gwyn Baelfire ✨ Solomon Fable ✨ August Faramir ✨ Cove Melchior ✨ Alistair Hawthorne ✨ Balthasar / Pellinor Wolf ✨ Rook Leopold

Interesting - I don't have any rules personally, they just have to sound good together lol

matilda thistle. beatrix lavender. phoebe rosemary.

&

caspian oleander. apollo valerian. atlas hawthorne.

pet mama to sons marlow, scout, oliver, ezra & hugo

I don’t have specific rules and sounds and syllable counts and things like that, but for actual names that I pair for my children, they have to be meaningful. I could never just throw together two names that I like. What makes the name meaningful can be flexible, but it’s got to be something.
    Lucy Blythe • Elizabeth Bravery • Nettie Boheme • Hazel Sawyer • Vivian Birdie • Magnolia Charlotte • Annabelle Glow • Clara Wise • Harriett Whimsy • Floralie Lou • Olive Harper • Jane Wilder • Ruth Hero

Shepherd Silas • Wilder Henry • Asher Blaze • Maverick Rowan • Fox Jameson • Hawthorne Bryn • Lennon Bear • Sawyer Tatum • Beauden Peter • Gideon Scout • Sullivan Ford • Atticus Revere • Fletcher Knox

Frances Ramona and London Charles

Thank you for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderwitch View Post
    I have a mild form of synesthesia where it's not about individual letters, but whole worlds sometimes have a feeling or color or image attached, and those need to be harmonious or the combo doesn't work for me. For example, Cosima feels like a dark midnight blue, while Rose is a dusty pink. These two colors are very pleasing to my mind's eye, so Cosima Rose works for me. But even though I love the sound of Wren, it feels like golden-brown with bits of yellow, and that clashes with Cosima in my mind. Therefore, Cosima Wren doesn't work for me, even though it looks pretty on paper and the sounds are nice together.
    Along the same lines, I need my names and combos to be evocative - if I don't get any impressions from the name, no images or colors, then I won't use it. I have to have a connection to the name; it has to bring light or color or imagery to my mind.
    Interesting I might have to look up synesthesia as I see colours mostly and sometimes imagery with names and I wonder if it also can relate to my DH he sees words/names as shapes - hard to describe.
    🎔listography🎔
    TTC 2020

Milena Juliette Sena

Tristan Josiah Hugo

I wouldn’t say I have any rules - just make sure it flows. I’m not really a fan of names endongvin the same sound, but sharing the first letter or sharing sounds in the name just depends on the combination. I really love combinations where two middle names share an initial, and the first is a different letter, like Emmeline Sarah Snow. Probably not a pattern I would use with my future children, but I think it’s sweet.
    Girls Names
    Liliana Juliet Sylvia Marcella Rosalie Evadne

Girls Middles/Honours
    Juliet Margot Vera Celia Rosalie Eleanor

Boys Names
    Griffin Elliot 'Otto' Caspian Jonas Elias Chester

Boys Middles/Honours
    Daniel Charles Bennett Piers Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by lysia View Post
    Interesting I might have to look up synesthesia as I see colours mostly and sometimes imagery with names and I wonder if it also can relate to my DH he sees words/names as shapes - hard to describe.
    That definitely sounds like synesthesia, especially your DH's thing with the shapes!
    Caspian Forest ✨ Rowan Taliesin ✨ Oberon Fen ✨ Albion Oak ✨ Emrys Valerian ✨ Tristan Nightingale ✨ Endymion North

Lavender Alice ✨ Nimue Cypress ✨ Willow Avalon ✨ Eve Wisteria ✨ Ophelia Meadow ✨ Morwenna Oceane ✨ Cosima Rose ✨ Juliet Snow ✨ Pandora Lily ✨ Sylvie Belladonna

Considering:
    Peregrine Tyr ✨ Gideon / Gwyn Baelfire ✨ Solomon Fable ✨ August Faramir ✨ Cove Melchior ✨ Alistair Hawthorne ✨ Balthasar / Pellinor Wolf ✨ Rook Leopold

I don't have any rules. The names just have to sound good to me. Example: Harrison Hemingway is an absolute mouthful and sounds a little wacky to others, but I've had this combo locked in and ready to go for years now, so because I've been saying it for YEARS, it sounds perfect. For the rest of my potential middles, they are all honor names or have significance, so I tried to pair them with names that they worked well with.
    Boys: Harrison, Fletcher, Dashiell, Gray, Flynn, Eliot, Desmond, Wilder, Lincoln, Shepherd, Rowan, Oscar, Bram/Bramwell

Girls: Clementine, Daphne, Theodora, Gwendolyn, Beatrice, Marlowe, Violet, Greta, Olive, Cecelia

Harrison Hemingway/Thomas
    Clementine Mariana, Daphne Doll, Beatrice Story, Gwendolyn Lovey, Theodora Darling