Menu

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Site Changes

As a user of the site for the past 6-7 years, I've got to say, this is the worst I've ever seen it. I know I commented once previously on this thread, but I've now taken the time to make note of all the negative aspects that I now find hindering the site's usability.

Full disclosure - I've used the site on Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox, both mobile and webpage and found the issues to be nearly identical on both, so I've ruled out the browser causing the issue. Also, any other name site I've visited, even non "expert" sites - blogs created with blogger, or lower budgeted creators, haven't caused me an issue. Literally just Nameberry.

Let's start with the homepage. The navigation, quite frankly, sucks. Oh, and let's not forget that little pop-up nonsense video that, sometimes is an ad, and sometimes is an attempt at mom-centric comedy (what happened to the site being welcoming to name-nerds? This just tells me you're gearing to, or subliminally trying to, attract an audience that focuses on new moms. To me, the fact that Nameberry welcomed name-enthusiasts is what set it apart from the literally hundreds of other forums).

The fact that the previous taglines of "baby names, only *adjective*" has been replaced with just an off-centered, honestly, too small, headline text reading "Baby Names" makes it appear more like an unfinished template. The site's name has now been shoved to the top left corner, and it's so small that, if you're a new user who clicked on a redirect link from Google or elsewhere, it's not clear what site you've entered. The new tagline - "From Avery to Zephyr, Nameberry is the complete guide to thousands of amazing baby names." is also way too small in comparison to most sites, and looks arbitrarily thrown in, adding to the idea that it's an unfinished template. Furthering that point home and making it look more and more like a high-schooler's half-finished essay template, is that giant, off-centered (again) photo of a baby.

It literally only gets worse from here - the further you scroll, the more plain and disorganized the site appears. It looks like someone hurriedly typed text in to plan out the design and then just mistakenly posted it. There's no differentiation in the header text other than a slightly bigger size and bolder font. I could literally fix this myself with a quick HTML code - a job that takes less than 10 minutes.

Then, eventually, you reach the "browse by letter" section and the "Baby Name News" - two features that, I would say normally set Nameberry apart from literally any other website. They've been pushed to the very bottom and honestly, most people are going to be too lazy or not enthused enough by the first glance of the page to scroll down to find that. Even the "Top 1000 Names on Nameberry" section has been shoved to the bottom - where is that interesting, unique, professional quality content that Nameberry seems to be so proud of?

Also - that stupid embedded video player - literally did anyone ask for this? It's perhaps the most irritating thing about the whole layout changes. Please, just make it go away. I don't want to hear "Scary Mommy"'s recipes, attempts at comedy, comments about how scary pregnancy can be, etc. Not that I can even watch the video, it's CONSTANTLY interrupted by ads. The ad bars at the top and side of the page are already loud and obnoxious looking enough at some points - this one is just overboard.

Next - the navigation. That bar is great and all, but it's kind of a pain on mobile. Neither version looks very eye-catching, which normally would be fine - but given how the homepage doesn't provide any kind of clear indication on how to navigate the site, it's bad. What I find weird though, is that the navigation sidebar once you're on the forums, is perfect. The highlighted banners depicting the key features - if we kept that on the homepage, at least PART of the problem would be solved.

Side note - why isn't your Name Generator highlighted better? It's a competitor to Nymbler (or old Nymbler anyway, they've since taken a more updated approach to mimic Tinder - much more user friendly), and should probably be made a focal point for visitors.

Now, those damn ads. I've touched on them previously, but real talk - why? Why does there need to be SO many? You have two ad bars (which again, are not centered or sized properly) on every page, do we really need pop-up ads and ads that open new webpages? I feel like I'm in 2000 every time I get a stupid pop-up, lol. And don't get me started on how slow these ads make the site - literally some days a dial-up connection was faster than the site is. It slows everything right down. I've waited upwards of two minutes before for the site to load - and it's definitely the site, as I opened up a new tab and loaded SIX different sites in the time it took for Nameberry to load.

On mobile, I had, until yesterday, an Amazon Prime ad that would literally eclipse my entire screen and wouldn't let me close it out. I had complained previously on April 28th about this same ad, and it took two weeks for anything to be resolved? I understand it does take a while but it's so infuriating for users when an ad takes over and literally locks us out of using that tab. Also, the volume level on it was deafening.

Now, the mobile ads are pop-up bars that take up a quarter of my screen, and if you try to click the microscopic "x" to close the page out, it almost always results in the ad opening up. In the time it's taken me to write this, I've battled an ad on my phone, and tried in vain to close it out - each time it results in opening the ad in a new tab. Normally, I just give up. I don't want to waste my data, or my time trying to fight your constant, persistent ads.

In short, Nameberry needs a serious overhaul. I personally find the creator's response to be a bit ridiculous - there are plenty of sites run by a private, small team of creators. You don't need to be written or designed by a corporation to still have a good site.

Regardless of content or quality, I'd almost prefer them to a site that attacks my phone or laptop with ads constantly to the point where I just give up and walk away. I don't use Nameberry for anything other than the forums anymore, but even then, that's becoming increasingly harder to do.

Please just get your crap together, Nameberry. There's been a serious lack of care or effort to fix any of our concerns that we've voiced over the past 5+ years. The only reason people will go to a different, better quality/designed site, is because the empty promises of resolution will push them there.
    Last edited by leafsgirl44; May 17th, 2019 at 08:37 PM.

haley. twenty-three. aunty to ♀ ♀ +
    cowboys & country girls
    garrett / clayton / jake / morgan / chase / rhett / luke / cole / easton / brantley
    hartley / jersey / gianna / london / harlow / monroe / eisley / britton / zoey / chloe

I use a laptop so the ads don't really bother me too much. Whenever I've used my phone in the past there's definitely been an issue though. As for the layout, I quite like the top bar and I think it's much smoother and smarter. The front page is probably my biggest dislike. Having recent articles right at the top was much more helpful and easily accessible, and I loved seeing the names of the latest celebrity babies. Honestly, I don't even bother looking for them now. I definitely won't be going anywhere else anytime soon though because of the amazing community here.

However, I understand and appreciate that Nameberry is a small-run website and that issues can be difficult/take a long time to fix. I hope that a solution will be found soon.

I also quite like the new top bar on my laptop but it's not as smooth on my phone. Something that really bothers me on my phone is that the drop-down menu drops down whenever I want to type somewhere, whether it is in the search bar, the log-in screen of in the forum. Whenever I select a box to type in, the drop-down menu gets in the way and I accidentally click it a lot.
    * Favourites *
    Thea Adrienne - Agnes Adair - Alma Greer
    Nel Audra - Bram Percy

* Currently like *
    Hector - Frey -Walt - Gregor - Ingrid - Pia - Percy - Ian - Corin - Laurens - Lyra - Hilde - Dorota - Joris - Milas - Ines - Vera - Marit

* GP or does not sound good in Dutch *
    Adrian - Bramwell - Emrys - Pascoe - Faraday - Barnabas - Prior - Pyotr
    Hesper - Greer - Solveig - Parnell - Junot - Tuppence - Endellion - Arianell

No disrespect, but I much prefer the old home page, from several years ago. It was much easier to access the blog posts. I also find it difficult to post on Nameberry on mobile now, because of the glitches (I'm having the same issue as @rouverture).