Menu
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WDYT About Bedroom Sharing?

Would you ever have your kids share a bedroom? Or, if you already have kids, do they share?

Personally (provided I can afford it) I wouldn't as I think every child needs somewhere private they can go to be alone, but I also know that it can give siblings a bond that they wouldn't otherwise have. I would also never have boys and girls share above age 5, but I've heard of some people doing it until around 12/13. What do you plan to do, or do already?
    Kennedy Lucy Myfanwy <3 Elijah Alex Christopher

Skyla | Veronica | Ayla | Sienna | Aria
    Harper | Addiena | Lila | Haven | Nevaeh
    Rosalie | Macy | Jasmine | Willow | Adelaide

Hunter | Grayson | Sawyer | Jensen | Max
    Tanner | Isaiah | Isaac | Landon | Zachary
    Ezra | Ryder | Kingston | Holden | Wilder

I think it really depends on a lot of factors, including each child's individual needs. Whilst I think most people would give their kids a room each if they could afford it, there's plenty of people who can't, and I've actually known a few people who's kids prefer to share a room, at least when they were young.

The guidelines here are that for council tenants (people who live in government owned property) different sex children are entitled to their own rooms once they're 8, but same-sex kids are expected to share until they move out. But for me personally, I'd rather have different sex siblings that are 8 and 10 share a room than same sex siblings aged 8 and 15, for example.

For what it's worth, most people I know shared a room with a same sex sibling until they were teenagers or even right through to adulthood. My mum and her sister shared a room until they were 18 and 21, and neither of them were bothered by it.
    io
    Freyja Ferelith × Aisling Andromeda × Jem Jupiter × Marcellus Meridian
    Alexandrine | Theodosia | Jessamine
    Florin | Aurelius | Cassel

I would have hated to share a room with my sister, we get on really well and sometimes when there were house guests we'd share, but that was always a 'fun treat' rather than us actually having to share space all the time. We'd probably have had some massive fall outs if we'd had to share.

I would much rather give all my children separate space. I don't know what I would do regarding different sexes and sharing.
    Hufflepuff. PhD Student. Cat Lover.
    Alice Marigold *Liora Yehudit* & Lucas Avery *Saul Yonatan*
    Alice Marigold Siofra. Lucas Avery Quest. Eliza Felicity Midnight. Isaac Sebastian Prosper.

Mira Frances * Cleo Adelaide * Ruby Claire * Noa Mairead * Orla Sarai
    Toby William * Rory James * Elliot Hugo * Leo Patrick * Ren Isaiah

I really want to avoid having my kids share a room. The only time I’ve ever shared a room with my siblings was about 4 months when we lived in an apartment while we waited for our house to finish being built. I was 5 at the time and my sister was almost 2. Other than that, I’ve spent a couple nights in the same room as one or both of my sisters when we’re on vacation but that’s it.

I share a room now as a sophomore in college and I hate it. I love my roommate to death, and she’s one of my best friends. We get along well, never fight, rarely disagree, but I’ve realized over the last year that I need my own space. It’s gotten to the point where I plan my day around when she has class because that’s when I know I’ll be able to get the most work done. I’m looking forward to when I can go home and have my own room again.
    Waddup, I’m Abby, I’m 19, and I never learned how to read.

Taurus ♉︎
    The stubborn and strong-willed bull

Maia Liluri | Aviva Ishtar | Calista Ziazen
    Orion Tor | Fintan Riker | Odran Wesley

💜

I shared a room with both my younger brother and younger sister until I was 13... but there wasn't much choice in the matter. We finally moved to a house and I got my own room while my siblings still shared a room til my brother turned 13 and moved to the basement. I have mixed feelings about it. It seemed so normal for us. I wouldn't mind having my own kids (of the same gender) share a room until a certain age or until another option becomes available!