Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reining in the shortlist - Boys

Hi all!

So, I'm not expecting any time soon, but I am just about two months away from my wedding and it's SO difficult to not get a bit excited over potentially getting to put my list in play within the near future. I'm just looking for some feedback on what I think would be our top choices if we had to name a baby boy tomorrow, and some suggestions from there!

I don't care overly much whether a name is rare/unique, although I'm not a fan of ultra-common or trendy choices. I prefer classic names that are instantly recognizable, easy to spell, and can shorten into cute nicknames; two to three syllables; practical, streamlined names over lots of frills and flourish or lots of "cool" or "macho" factor. I'm generally not a fan of unisex names or modern day trends like -ley/lee/leigh.

Last name will be one syllable and universally known as probably the most intrinsic nickname for Benjamin, so -en endings can work if done carefully.

IMPORTANT: No B or J names, please! FI and I will have nearly identical names once married (James/Jamie) and using B or J on future children just feels like an alliterative punch in the face!

I really like the idea of two middles - we would want to use _____ James Douglas, for honor reasons, if we ever had a son, and then I'd probably just want to continue the pattern. James has potential as a middle for a daughter, too, in the event we have no boys/have a girl and decide to be one-and-done.

We have a MUCH harder time with boy names, so suggestions are definitely welcome!

* indicates honor names

In no particular order, we have:
    Henry
    Edward (Teddy)
    Calvin (Cal)
    Franklin (Frankie)
    Arthur
    Charles* (Charlie)
    Walter
    Desmond
    Casper (Cas)
    Tucker (FI is a big Baltimore Ravens fan)
    Luke
    Malcolm (love Mac as a nickname, but does Mac B3nn sound too much like a cheeseburger?)
    Alexander
    Simon
    Nicholas
    Last edited by jrave656; March 14th, 2019 at 10:15 AM.

I just replied to your girls' list, so I'll do the same breakdown here.

Favorites:
    Tucker - Tucker B3nn sounds great, and I like that FI is on board with this choice.
    Luke - I love the simplicity of Luke, and I think it's not used enough right now.
    Desmond - I LOVE Desmond for you. Dez is too cool.
    Casper - Cas and Cap are both such cool nicknames.
    Charles - Charlie seems like a great pick for you. Such a friendly name.
    Simon - I love that Simon means "listener" and Simon B3nn sounds good, despite the repeated endings.

Cut:
    Walter - Walter gets a lot of love on Nameberry, but I really don't think it's ready for a revival. I worked at a preschool with a little Walt and it was so odd to me.
    Malcolm - Love Mac, but this is not my favorite way to get there. Cormac? Mack on its own? McCoy or something like that? Mac B3nn is a hamburgery.
    Alexander - A very nice name, but Alex's are just ubiquitous.
    Franklin - Frankie is kind of cute, but Franklin is a a no-go for me. Especially with the last name B3nn, I think it's too founding fathers.

On the Fence:
    Nicholas - There were so many Nicks in my generation, it just seems a little overdone. But Nick is an easy name to love.
    Arthur - I like Arthur, but you seem like nickname people, and Arthur doesn't offer the best options in that department.
    Calvin - I like Cal a lot, but the flow of Calvin B3nn is a little bit off. Callum? Calder?
    Edward (Teddy) - I like Teddy, just don't love Edward. Edmund?
    Henry - Love Henry, but it seems a little overplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by quirkflower View Post
    I just replied to your girls' list, so I'll do the same breakdown here.

Favorites:
    Tucker - Tucker B3nn sounds great, and I like that FI is on board with this choice.
    Luke - I love the simplicity of Luke, and I think it's not used enough right now.
    Desmond - I LOVE Desmond for you. Dez is too cool.
    Casper - Cas and Cap are both such cool nicknames.
    Charles - Charlie seems like a great pick for you. Such a friendly name.
    Simon - I love that Simon means "listener" and Simon B3nn sounds good, despite the repeated endings.

Cut:
    Walter - Walter gets a lot of love on Nameberry, but I really don't think it's ready for a revival. I worked at a preschool with a little Walt and it was so odd to me.
    Malcolm - Love Mac, but this is not my favorite way to get there. Cormac? Mack on its own? McCoy or something like that? Mac B3nn is a hamburgery.
    Alexander - A very nice name, but Alex's are just ubiquitous.
    Franklin - Frankie is kind of cute, but Franklin is a a no-go for me. Especially with the last name B3nn, I think it's too founding fathers.

On the Fence:
    Nicholas - There were so many Nicks in my generation, it just seems a little overdone. But Nick is an easy name to love.
    Arthur - I like Arthur, but you seem like nickname people, and Arthur doesn't offer the best options in that department.
    Calvin - I like Cal a lot, but the flow of Calvin B3nn is a little bit off. Callum? Calder?
    Edward (Teddy) - I like Teddy, just don't love Edward. Edmund?
    Henry - Love Henry, but it seems a little overplayed.
    Thank you for your insightful breakdowns on both posts! I really appreciate the way you've grouped the names in terms of style/fit - especially here, where we've been all over the place!

I am very surprised to find myself suddenly in love with a sibset like Cleo and Tucker - never what I would have put together on my own, but feel like they would fit wonderfully into our visions of a future family!

Also glad to see love for Desmond and Casper, because they'd surely get a lot of resistance from at least my side of the family.

My favourites from your list are:
    Henry
    Calvin (Cal)
    Arthur
    Casper (Cas)
    Nicholas

Based on your style, some suggestions are:
    Felix
    Oscar
    Edmund
    Gideon
    Ambrose
    Bennett
    Momma to boxer boy Rooney and baby girl Everly James

officially TTC #2

Current favourites:
    August ~ Connor ~ Corbin ~ Huxley ~ Linus ~ Malachi ~ Mercer ~ Monroe ~ Monty ~ Odin ~ Theo ~ Wells ~ Weston

Annalise ~ Bria ~ Connolly ~ Hadley ~ Harlow ~ Jocelyn ~ Larkin ~ Lyra ~ Rosalyn ~ Thora ~ Vesper ~ Willa ~ Winter

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbuntain View Post
    My favourites from your list are:
    Henry
    Calvin (Cal)
    Arthur
    Casper (Cas)
    Nicholas

Based on your style, some suggestions are:
    Felix
    Oscar
    Edmund
    Gideon
    Ambrose
    Bennett
    Bennett would be a great choice if it didn't contain our last name! Bennett/Ben/Benny B3nn might be a bit too much for a poor kid, though!

I hadn't thought of Ambrose, I like that quite a bit!