Menu
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

It’s a girl! And a change of heart

Hello everyone!

We have just gotten the news that our baby on the way is a girl! She will join big sister Georgia Lucy.

Prior to learning gender our top contender was Willa Catherine. But since getting the news, and feeling fairly confident that this will be my last baby, I’m feeling more compelled to use the middle name Anne, which is my middle name, my mother’s middle name and my mother in law’s middle name. Catherine is a family name too, but the association is not as strong (great grandmother). I was leaning toward it because I just liked it better, but now that this little one is a little more “real” I’m really feeling like I’d like to include Anne.

The issue is, while I still love Willa, I don’t love Willa Anne together.

I do love Eloise Anne, and this is probably the slight favorite at the moment, but I’m concerned that Eloise feels a bit more popular, and I don’t like the nickname Ellie. We call my daughter GeorgiaGigi,” so I’m afraid people will feel compelled to shorten?

So- turning to the name experts- what do you think of Willa versus Eloise? How do you feel about Willa Anne? Should I just use the first name I like and the middle name that’s most meaningful because most people don’t know your full name anyway? Even if it means I’m not totally in love with my child’s full name? (I’ve been thinking about my children’s names since I was 10 and am struggling with this) Any other suggestions to go with Georgia Lucy using middle name Anne?

Thanks berry much!

*edited to add: we are US-based and looking for something outside the top 100.
    Last edited by meetthec00pers; February 11th, 2019 at 09:17 PM.

I think Willa Anne is fine!

Willa Catherine-Anne
    Willa Annette

Pick a different nn for Eloise? Lou or Lulu

I also think Willa Anne is absolutely fine! Willa Catherine is very pretty but it sounds a lot like Willa Cather -- great namesake, but it might feel too obvious to you?

I really like Georgia and Eloise together; in addition to Lulu (great suggestion!) an Eloise could be nicknamed Lola. Both are sweet, fun nicknames which sit well alongside Gigi. I don't think Ellie is inevitable with this one, especially if you lead by example from early on.

A few more ideas along the lines of Georgia, Willa and Eloise (though I think both of your current options are great!):

Margot
    Sylvie
    Daphne
    Felicity
    Imogen
    Louisa
    Cecily
    Thea
    Beatrice/x
    Esther
    Fiona
    Leonie
    Maeve
    Claudia
    Clara
    Annabel (obviously not with Anne as a middle!)
    Honor
    Laurel
    Simone
    ♀ J. M. + ♂ K. V. + ♀ A. H.

Flora Beatrix • Nell Cosima • Tess Apolline • Zosia Primrose
    Asa • Caspar • Florin • Ivo • Jem • Lupin • Rafe • Sasha • Tor

Maybe you could use a longer form name that would give you Willa as a nickname... Willamina Anne or Willodean Anne. Willodean and Georgia... Willa and Gigi.

Alternatively, I love the suggestion of Eloise nn Lola... Gigi and Lola are perfect together.

This. “Should I just use the first name I like and the middle name that’s most meaningful because most people don’t know your full name anyway?” Yes, I hope you use what you love! Willa Anne is fine. If you are still bothered by the flow you could see if one of the names with Anne in them appeals for the middle. Willa is a lovely choice!