Menu
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Baby girl name

I love Rumi and Elara! I really can't choose between the two of them but I think either one would be a great choice!

How would you pronounce Elara? I can think of three different ways:

EE-lar-ah (think this is the way the moon is pronounced)

Eh-LAR-ah

ELL-ar-ah

Also makes a difference where you live. In the US the -arah (like in Sarah) sounds like air. While in UK, it's more of an arr sound.

For this reason, I think I would choose Rumi.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cordelia16 View Post
    How would you pronounce Elara? I can think of three different ways:

EE-lar-ah (think this is the way the moon is pronounced)

Eh-LAR-ah

ELL-ar-ah

Also makes a difference where you live. In the US the -arah (like in Sarah) sounds like air. While in UK, it's more of an arr sound.

For this reason, I think I would choose Rumi.

Good luck!

That's a good point! We live in Canada and we pronounce it Eh-lar-uh. I think that's how most people would pronounce it here. I wouldn't mind correcting if others mispronounce the name as I guess that can be the case with any name. :-)

Elara and Rumi are lovely names. Elara is beautiful, since it sounds delicate and feminine, yet I like Rumi for other qualities; spunk and freshness. I am not particularly fond of the name "Shily". Shirley would make a greater alternative to Shily, however, if the name is significant to you, you should use it. I think I prefer Rumi.

Rumi is my favourite. Lovely name and I wasn't aware of the Beyonce connection. Elara is okay, but sounds like a lot of popular names to me that start and end in vowels, so even though Elara is not popular it's very like lots of names that are popular. The sounds are nice in Shily, however I just hear 'Are you shy?' which is a constant and negative question asked to kids around me - and surely the name would provoke the question and be especially difficult if the child is quiet and thoughtful in character.