Menu
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

August vs Augustus

Hi all! My husband and I are expecting our first baby in May. We are not finding out the sex.

We've been discussing the names August and Augustus. I suggested August, and I am feeling pretty attached it it. He doesn't care for August as much, but really likes Augustus

I do like the name, but I worry that its a little "too much" for a baby. I am having a hard time picturing introducing our baby as "Augustus" - does it seem truly usable? I'm just looking for some general opinions on the names, and any experience you have with either. Thanks!

I much prefer the understated August to Augustus. To my ear, Augustus is a lot to live up to at any stage of life. I really like Augustine though. Might that work as a compromise?
    Ellen Virginia * Audrey Cecilia * Edith Augusta * Claudia Jane * Sybil Josephine * Miriam Tess
    Nathaniel Franklin * Edmund Blaise * Timothy Augustine * Virgil Christopher * Luke Benedict

Also Liking: UNA MUIRGHEAL * Siobhan Brigid * Cassandra Niamh * Daphne Verona *
    Louisa Catherine * May Genevieve * Lydia June * Ivy Charlotte * Ginevra Frances *

I prefer the simpler August as I think it would be easier to wear. I also like pp’s suggestion of Augustine although August is my favourite.

I also prefer the simplicity of August. Augustus is a bit grand for me plus I really don't like the "gustus" sound of the name.

I think both names are fine. If you decide on Augustus, he could/would still be called August or Gus.
    Son: Jacob Milton
    Grandchildren: Shiloh, Niko, Archer Shawn, and Jericho Giuseppe
    ~ 🏹 Archer, an angel that we held for 20 days 🏹 😇

Current favorites:
    Jensen, Althea, Alliyah, McKaili, Lilliana, Briar, Kiley, Madilyn, Athena
    Eli, Noah, Sebastian, Theo, McKia, Elio