Menu

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    @bluedanube: I love Atlas by the way, but I can totally understand your love for Ulysses. We had it on our list too, but decided not to use it because it would cause problems with pronunciation where we live and more importantly for a part of SO's family. My children's heritage is such a melting pot, which makes it even harder to name them. Hjörtur has Icelandic, Swedish and Polish heritage (my side), while his father is half British and half Ugandese. This baby will have my heritage obviously, and from SO's side he'll be part German, Jewish and Assyrian.
    Mother to Hjörtur Emmanuel & baby due November 2019

Baltasar Óli * Torfi Magnus * Vignir Ulysses * Iser Hafni * Noam Flóvent * Johann Zohar * Salomon Fálki * Sumarliði Meyer * Efraim Breki
    Ondine Beatrice * Greta Yardena * Meital Johanna * Ebba Lilitu * Magdalene Lilac * Perle Kornelia * Netta Nineveh * Ísrún Emilia * Sumarlína Freyde

Víkingur * Ragnar * Addai * Dov * Bergur * Kjartan * Diethard * Mattias
    Zusa * Aramina * Eugenia * Karolina * Marganita * Elisabet * Júlirós

@rosebeth I know how frustrating it can be not having a name picked out, but you do still have time. It sounds like you've got a few options to choose from that you and your SO at least agree on. Perhaps after your baby's here it will all become clearer.

@orchid_lover I hope that your little one stays in a bit longer and that your blood pressure will not be an issue this time.

@bluedanube That's ridiculous the way your boss is treating you. I'm sorry that it means you might have to leave a job you really like, but it also sounds like you have a good back up. As to names, I think both Atlas and Dorian sound like they'd fit in just fine with your older two kids. It's hard to let a name go that you love and I'm guessing that's what's keeping you from finding the perfect name now. I had my heart set on using Jane for a long time and once we got pregnant DH told me he never really loved it and just figured we'd never have 3 girls! In all honesty I wasn't in love with Lucy, but after seeing DH so happy to have chosen the name and hearing Alice refer to her new sister as Lucy it grew on me more and more. Perhaps if you test out Atlas or Dorian you'll find that you love them too.

I am 34w1d today and I'm so over being pregnant. I'm constantly sore despite resting as much as I can with 2 toddlers. I wore my support belt for 3 days (off at night) which helped but I think it bruised my sides and I can't wear it now. I'm starting to swell a lot and I have carpal tunnel again just like in my other pregnancies. It's only a little over 5 more weeks until my c section, but it feels so far away! I'm also about 95% sure that we've decided I'll be getting my tubes tied during the surgery. I'm pretty sure I don't want anymore biological kids and DH feels the same. But then I have this hesitation that it's so final. It marks the end of this stage of our lives. Lucy will be our last for everything. Last first word, last first smile, last wobbly first steps, last everything. I think it's still the right choice especially since it doesn't add to my recovery time at all, but it's so strange that we'd be done just like that. I really wish I could enjoy this pregnancy more knowing it will be the last and yet October can't come soon enough! Has anyone else come to the decision that this baby will be their last?
    Alice Caroline 2016
    Clara Linda 2018
    Lucy Danielle coming October 2019

@cyoung oh yes this will be our last! Especially since DH is 45. I barely got him to agree to this one! Sorry you're feeling sore, I'm right there with ya for the most part. There's no winning any more, no more comfortable positions, whether I sit or stand or even lay down I'm sore after a while especially when I have to move! I think it will be a little sad with everything being the "last" but I'm ready to move on too and feel like I'm getting too old for this crap, lol (I'm sure that will especially hit along with the newborn exhaustion!) I'm hoping not to need a c-section but I am interested in Paraguard, the non-hormonal IUD that can last a long time. I'd like to get off hormones and see if it helps my gums stop receding! Ugh I hate how bad pregnancy is for my teeth!

I'll see an actual Dr. this Friday to confirm, but the midwife agreed at my last appointment that we're probably going to induce at 37 weeks due to my mild gestational hypertension. So probably between September 11 and 17. I have my hospital bag packed and getting the last of everything else ready!
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9865107
    My little boy blue Indigo Robert
    If we had a girl tomorrow Majorelle Anne
    "Maggie"
    http://www.howtopronounce.com/french/majorelle/

@orchid_lover I too refuse to be on any hormonal birth control. I didn't realize there was an iud that didn't use hormones and would have considered it if I wasn't already having surgery. It's crazy how out of touch I am with birth controls since we've been ttc/pregnant pretty much for 5 years now. That's so crazy that your baby can be here so soon! I'm glad that the hypertension isn't severe though and that you can hold on for a couple more weeks. Hope all goes well until then.
    Alice Caroline 2016
    Clara Linda 2018

I'm looking forward to seeing all of the birth announcements for our October-December babies! My due date still seems pretty far away (I'm 31 weeks and 2 days today, so almost 9 more weeks to go), but also very close at the same time.

Will you all be getting a lot of help from your SO when taking care of the baby? We've been trying to plan things, but it's not going to be easy. I work full-time and so does SO. I just work Monday til Friday, pretty much 9 to 5. But SO has a very different schedule: he works a very long shift for 2 days in a row (he has to be at work around 8 AM and gets off around 11 PM or even later, especially in the summer), then has 2 days off, works a long shift for 2 days, 2 days off etc. This means that he can take care of our baby and Hjörtur on his days off, but he's no help at all on the days he has to work, because we hardly see him. This was completely different with my ex-husband, he could work from home a lot of the time and took care of Hjörtur a lot when he was a baby and a toddler. I'm sure we'll manage somehow, but it won't be easy.

Baltasar Óli * Torfi Magnus * Vignir Ulysses * Iser Hafni * Noam Flóvent * Johann Zohar * Salomon Fálki * Sumarliði Meyer * Efraim Breki
    Ondine Beatrice * Greta Yardena * Meital Johanna * Ebba Lilitu * Magdalene Lilac * Perle Kornelia * Netta Nineveh * Ísrún Emilia * Sumarlína Freyde

@rosebeth My husband plans to take off 4 weeks after Lucy is born to help me have time to heal and care for pretty much all of us lol. This time around my MIL lives only 20 minutes away as opposed to 20 hours like she did when my first 2 were born. My mom is also moving to the area and will be staying with us for a few months while she figures out a new job and apartment. DH is usually pretty great at helping on the weekends and before and after work even though he works about 10 hours a day.

Do you have any other family or friends that could help out? You must have something in place for your son right now, but maybe that doesn't work out with a baby in the mix. I chose to stay at home to watch our girls because we just didn't have anyone here to help and honestly if we paid for childcare my whole pay check would go to it.
    Alice Caroline 2016
    Clara Linda 2018

DH is a SAHD and also my company added paid parental leave last spring, so we're pretty lucky that I'll have at least 14 weeks off work after baby is born. With Indigo I could only afford 7. MIL also helps out a lot and has agreed to do so after I go back to work. I can't believe how expensive daycare can be! I know balancing childcare was a big struggle with DH and his first two kids, him and his ex wife worked opposite schedules and hardly saw each other and even though it was 20 years ago if they had the same shift they would have spent almost one of their paychecks on childcare.
    "Maggie"

@cyoung325: I'll be staying at home for about 5 months after the baby is born, so that's not too bad, but SO can only take 2 weeks off. After that he'll be taking some extra days off here and there, but he won't be at home all of the time. He'll help out whenever he can, I don't doubt that, but I'm wondering if he'll be able to get out of bed when the baby is crying at night, for example, after he's been working a 15 hour shift. My twin brother is the only one of my family members that lives close enough to help out on a regular basis, my mother and stepfather live on the other side of the country and my dad lives abroad. We have some very good friends that can and will help us when needed though.

@orchid_lover: daycare isn't ridiculously expensive here, but it still costs about 90 euros a month (I think that's about 100 dollars). Our baby will have to go to daycare on the days we're both working, so about 3 days a week, I reckon. Hjörtur went to daycare one day a week, which wasn't really necessary, but we wanted him to learn and play with other children (he was an only child and didn't have many other children around he could play with). He only started going to daycare when he was about 18 months though.

Tomorrow I'll be 36 weeks along and things are starting to really get real. I've had so much pelvic pain that I'm sure baby is very low and yet I also have trouble breathing even when I'm just sitting down. I'm nauseous and uncomfortable practically all the time. Last week my mom called me when I happened to be crying so she took a week off of work to come help me here. It's been great, but now I'm worried about the next 3 weeks until our c section. The girls must know Lucy's arrival is fast approaching and they've been acting out every which way they can. I guess I should be grateful I don't have to go to 41 weeks again, but three and a half more weeks like this feels almost unbearable. As much as I'd love her to come earlier I do want her to be safe so I'll just have to suck it up. Hope everyone else is feeling alright!

@orchid_lover Good luck with baby! I know this is the week you mentioned possibly being induced and I hope all is going well for you both!
    Alice Caroline 2016
    Clara Linda 2018

@cyoung I'm sorry you're feeling so yucky! Won't be long now. I'm glad your mom could come help! My MIL is such a lifesaver helping out with Indy.

Yes, they scheduled my induction for 9/11 at 3am, I had to call the hospital at 2am and make sure they had a bed available, which they didn't and there were still 2 people in line ahead of me waiting for their inductions. So we sat around, my husband getting more and more nervous, until 3pm they finally called us to come in. I was already 3cm dilated at the appointment the week before, so just needed pitocin which they started about 5:30. Broke my water (ouch! I had an epidural at the point when they did that with Indy!) shortly after, then gradually turned up the pitocin every half hour. Got to labor in the tub for a short while until the nurse came in and told me I had to get out because baby's heart rate was decelerating during contractions. They also changed the way they dosed my pitocin and started bolus dosing it. Boo. That resulted in me going from 5 to 10cm in about a half hour, which was especially problematic because I WANTED AN EPIDURAL and the anesthesiologist was stuck in the operating room. One Dr. filling in for my Dr. (who was also stuck in the OR) was trying to sway me to just push him out because he was low and it would only be about 3 pushes. But I wanted that epidural so I didn't feel all the crap that happens both during and immediately following delivery, so luckily at the last minute the anesthesiologist and my Dr. made it out of surgery and he got the epidural placed on the first try. Hallelujah. Baby did come out in 3 pushes, got a second degree tear on the second push. Geddy Ronin was born at 10:15pm and was 6 lbs 4 oz and 18 inches long. I recovered quite quickly, but Geddy developed jaundice (we have blood group incompatibility, I am O- and he is A+) I am so glad that I was supplementing with formula from birth because had I not, the jaundice would have been worse. (Babies need to take in fluid so they can poop out the bilirubin, but early on the tiny amount of colostrum he got wouldn't have been nearly enough to clear it) Jaundice is also more common with babies that are early. I got discharged Friday and they moved Geddy to the NICU where he had the overhead UV lights and the UV blanket for about 18 hours, then Saturday evening they let him come home! My milk seems like its just about to come in, so my next goal is to get him transitioned to the breast as much as possible. (I never got Indy to latch and exclusively pumped for 12 months with him, plus formula supplemented after I went back to work)

Geddy was my husband's guilty pleasure name after his favorite musician Geddy Lee. He also suggested Ronin for the "samurai with no master" meaning. I like Ronin for a middle with such an unusual first because if you look at US popularity, it is in the top 500 and rising so it will be recognizable but not super common for him in case he wants to use that instead of his first name.
    Last edited by orchid_lover; September 15th, 2019 at 02:03 PM.
    "Maggie"