Menu
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I think fanciful names can be usable if they have significantly more common nicknames. So from your list, I'd put Alwyne, Corisande, Edana, Elestren, Elowen, Eluned, Madrigal, Alaric, Evander, Caius in that category--Allie, Cori, Edie, Ellie, Ellie, Ellie, Maddie, Al/Ricky, Evan, and Cai. Also Valora if you live somewhere that Valerie/Valeria/Valentina is currently really trendy.

My problem with Alwyne is that it looks like a boy's name. I spelled it as Alwyn at first, which is undeniably masculine. I wouldn't use it for a girl.

Odin is really popular right now in some circles, so it's definitely usable, but I think it's really overdone, and the people who name their kids Odin are either smug hipsters or white supremacists.

I don't care for Oisin. Nobody will pronounce it right unless you actually live in Ireland. My first thought was 'Oy-shin', like Ocean in some bad parody of a New York accent. Same with Nimue. Nim-you-ayy? Nim-you? I don't know! Same with Lir--Leer? Lure?

I don't put Hildegard in the same category as these--I see it as a name that hangs out with Bertha and Hortense. But I think that actually does make it more usable, since it's 'great-grandma revival' and not 'fantasy novel character'. If you live in a neighborhood where people are calling their daughters Dorothy and Beatrice, Hildegard fits right in.
    Walter ~ Richard ~ Martin ~ Joseph ~ Edgar ~ Ezra ~ William

Edith ~ Matilda ~ Karen ~ Eleanor ~ Mehitabel

Avalon
    Ceridwen
    Delyth
    Eirian
    Elowen
    Eluned
    Endellion
    Ferelith
    Morrigan
    Morwenna
    Tanith

Caedmon
    Caius
    Emrys
    Evander
    Oisin
    Rhidian

I'm Welsh so lots of these I consider usable and actually know of people with these names, whereas they may seem a little bit outlandish to others.
    Little Miss's
    ♥ Sienna ♥ Everly ♥ Clara ♥
    ♥ Annalise ♥ Kinsley ♥ Aria ♥ Eleni ♥ Hollie ♥
    ♥ Elowen ♥ Charlotte ♥ Lydia ♥ Emerson ♥ Athena ♥

Little Mr's
    ♥ Ramsey ♥ Harrison ♥ Nolan ♥
    ♥ Lester ♥ Atlas ♥ Elwood ♥ Mason ♥ Miles ♥
    ♥ Reid ♥ Wilder ♥ Chester ♥ Finnegan ♥ Hudson♥

𝐀𝐔𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐀 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄 ∙ 𝐑𝐄𝐔𝐁𝐄𝐍 𝐄𝐌𝐑𝐘𝐒 ∙ 𝐒𝐀𝐒𝐊𝐈𝐀 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖 ∙ 𝐄𝐙𝐑𝐀 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐔𝐒

Thanks for the feedback, guys - I live in Australia if that helps. When the time comes for me to have kids, I do intend to go for a more unusual name choice, as my own parents went the safe/traditional route with my name and I always wish I'd been named something a bit more interesting. However I'm so used to my own name I can't see myself being called anything else.

That's interesting re: Hildegard, I can see how it would be interpreted as "old-lady", but I think of it more as a name for a little Viking girl. I like names with a Norse/Germanic feel to tie in with my interest in Norse mythology and northern European history. Might have to save that one for a middle then.
    R.E.
    22, student, geek, cat lover, dreaming of names.

Alasdair, Arthur, Caedmon, Emrys, Felix, Leif, Oisín, Taliesin
    Alana, Ceridwen, Cordelia, Elowen, Freya, Morgana, Niamh, Sigrid

Currently loving: Tristan Erik Oisín, Arthur Jonathan Leif & Alana Ceridwen Elizabeth, Freya Rhiannon Caroline.

Usable:

Avalon: Easy to pronounce, and with history and literary ties dating back to Arthurian times.
    Corisande: This choice is absolutely stunning, and with the number of Ancient Greek revival names, it remains an outstanding and unusual but very usable name.
    Delyth: Very unusual for sure, but many popular sounds and a great meaning.
    Elowen: This tailored, gentle beauty has been used consistently throughout history and would make a great choice similar to but less popular than Eloise or Elora.
    Kerenesa
    Madrigal
    Melisande
    Yvaine
    Aine, 15. “If you have the words, there’s always a chance that you’ll find the way.”
    -Seamus Heaney
    Irish Signature (under construction)
    Sorcha Muriel Niamh * Dara Lennon Gael * Aithne Eilis Mare * Iona Meriel Vega * Larkin Tierney Sarai * Ceara Maeve * Nora Rosaleen * Elouera * Araluen