Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Name Johan

The Name Johan

I considered Jonas and Jonah first. I preferred Jonas more but the S lettered last name didn't flow well with it, and Jonah is too soft for the sound I am looking for. Anyways I dig the sound of Johan. Question is, is it too odd for an American boy? Would you know how to pronounce it? How does it sound paired with potential middle names Johan Daniel or Johan Emerson "Jem"? All responses appreciated!
    Last edited by anonymousdude101; January 11th, 2019 at 07:17 AM.

Not sure about a US kid, but it’d work in Oz, though probably get a few using J to say it instead of Y first go. I like it! It’s smart. Yohan, Rohan or Ronan might be other options.
    Replying to posts to say what you made of the help should be standard NB etiquette - please reply! 🤓

I come from a Dutch speaking background would say Yo-han. I have lived in various parts of the US. In New England, I think you would get mostly Yo han, but I grew up in West Virginia, in that area you would definitely get more Jo-han. As far as it working, I think it would work great!! Even if people mispronounced it at first, it would be an easy correction. I much much prefer the YoHan pronunciation, but either would work in the US. Its a nice update to the classic John, and trendy Jack.

I love German names so Johan has always been on my radar, especially because my dad's name is John. However, I would pronounce it Yo-hahn and I think it would just be foreign to a lot of people. That being said, my husband's name is Klaus so we are used to correcting pronunciation and repeating the name for people who don't recognize it and it's not that bad
    Mommy to Konrad Wolfgang '13 and Louisa Marie '16
    Hildy - Zelda - Mabel - Frida - Greta - Rosemary - Veronika - Edelweiss
    Frederick "Fritz" - Hugo - Alaric - Kai - Cormac - Arlo - Rex - Oskar - Abel

Johan is really handsome! I don't know about Americans but most Europeans I know are familiar with Johannes, so we'd be able to guess Johan is yo-hann. Still, it's not that hard correcting the people who might not get it. So I definitely find it usable.
    I love Jem so my vote goes to Johan Emerson.
    💐💐💐
    ❤ Clementine Edith Pearl ❤
    Dorothy Lilac • Gwendolen Bee • Heidi Rosemary • Lavender Belle
    Lettie Rosalind • Marguerite Joy 'Mae' • Rosamund Lane • Winifred Hope

❤ Lionel Forrest Jude ❤
    Clement Wilde 'Clay' • Clyde Peregrine • Edmund Wolfe • Fergus Frederick
    Percy Noble • Reuben Sage • Seamus Bear • Stanley Ocean

I was born and raised in the US, don't know any other anglo-language, but Johan looks like Yo-hahn to me.
    Britta | Name Addict
    just musing

Colette | Stella | Theia
    Luna | Margot | Cressida | Felicity | Lacy
    Faith | Hope | Love
    India, Indigo, Indie
    Ada/Ava | Eden | Piper | Winter

Sterling | Reign | Roman
    Jack | William | Emmett | Atticus | Felix | Linus | Adam
    Orson | Rhett | Roland | Wyatt | Westley | Holden
    Edison | Lincoln | Penn
    Forest | Atlas | Cypress | Boone | Shepherd
    Elias | Solomon | Moses | Ezra

I would say it is a fairly common name. It ranked number 501 in 2017 according to the SS website, so its definitely not rare. I think most people would pronounce it as Yo-han. Of your two options, I prefer Johan Emerson! They sound relly nice together!
    22. Another name nerd not having kids any time soon.

Rosemary Astoria | Eleanor Lavender | Sylvia Arabella | Thea Winifred | Florence Cecilia | Ophelia Clementine | Beatrice Lucille | Rowena Frances | Hester Juniper | Agatha Primrose | Ginevra Magdalen | Matilda Romilly

Benjamin Atlas | Theodore Flynn | Jasper Penrose | Elio Rafael | Percival Colin | Gus Leander | Basil Alejandro | Felix Peregrine | Philip Salinger | Emmanuel Birch | Remy Ignatius | Edmund Bastien

Just a quick extra note to say if you’re hoping for Yo-hahn (how I would think to say it), it might be giving mixed messages to have the nn Jem. If you want nn Jem, I would use Jeremy or other.
    Replying to posts to say what you made of the help should be standard NB etiquette - please reply! 🤓

Thanks everyone for responding.

Johan Emerson nicknamed as Jem would indeed be a bit of a mixed message because Johan is pronounced with a Y. As well I think most people are used to the spelling Johann which I like but prefer Johan. I may just stick with Jonah or find a different J name.

I would definitely pronounce it Yo-han, and honestly I would think it was pretty silly to pronounce it with a J sound. It would definitely lead to confusion!