Menu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Name Johan

I agree that for most northern Europeans the name Johan would probably be easy to pronounce/recognise. I am acutally surprised the name is ranked 501 in the US. But just FYI if think some Dutch people would immediatly draw some connection Johan Cruijff (a famous footballer (by this a mean soccer) from the Netherlands) partly because name is not really given to children anymore and was popular in the 1960s/70s-ish I think. Just think you might wanted to know
    not expecting, just a name nerd with a name blog

Quote Originally Posted by lightasafeather View Post
    I come from a Dutch speaking background would say Yo-han. I have lived in various parts of the US. In New England, I think you would get mostly Yo han, but I grew up in West Virginia, in that area you would definitely get more Jo-han. As far as it working, I think it would work great!! Even if people mispronounced it at first, it would be an easy correction. I much much prefer the YoHan pronunciation, but either would work in the US. Its a nice update to the classic John, and trendy Jack.
    I also would have said Yohan because Jonah in Hebrew is Yonah, the J letter doesn’t exist in Hebrew so it’s replaced with a y-ish sound. I think I lot of people would have trouble pronouncing this name.
    Vote on my names:
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9870842

𝐼𝒻 𝐼 𝒽𝒶𝒹 𝒶 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎 𝒷𝑜𝓎 𝓉𝑜𝒹𝒶𝓎:
    𝐵𝑒𝓃-𝒜𝓂𝒾

𝐼𝒻 𝐼 𝒽𝒶𝒹 𝒶 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎 𝑔𝒾𝓇𝓁 𝓉𝑜𝒹𝒶𝓎:
    𝒥𝓊𝒹𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒲𝒾𝓃𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝑅𝓊𝓉𝒽

ⓕⓤⓣⓤⓡⓔ ⓑⓐⓑⓔⓢ
    𝐸𝓈𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇 𝒢𝒶𝓁𝒾, 𝐸𝓋𝑒 𝐿𝑒𝓃𝑜𝓇𝑒, 𝒩𝑒𝓁𝓁 𝑀𝒾𝓇𝒾𝒶𝓂, 𝒮𝒶𝓈𝒸𝒽𝒶 𝐿𝑒𝓋 ❤️

Being familiar with this name I immediately said Yo-han, and as other people have said, it can be easily corrected. I once taught a boy called Javier, where the J is a H sound and I think that is more confusing than Johan in my opinion!
    Violet Genevieve (22.6.2019)

I'm in the US and I pronounce Johan as Yo-hahn.

I really like Johan and I don't find it hard to pronounce. I live in the UK and this name is fairly familiar here because of European celebrities (like Johan Cruyff). Even if people do mispronounce it, it's fairly easy to correct.

It’s a very handsome name and I would know how to pronounce it, but I think it would be a little strange on an American boy with American parents. It just doesn’t sound quite right with a US accent.
    May | Professional Cat Lover | M.R. & B.C.

Poppy Marguerite ••• Elliott Augustine

Nell Hephzibah • Eve Araminta • Alma Constance
    Geneva Mireille • Leona Maëlle • Tess Euphemia
    Esmé • Rosabeth • Opal • Leonie • Eloisa • Jeanne • Romy
    Katarzyna • Louise • Narcissa • Margaux • Clothilde

Bram Raphael • Abel Caspian • Kit Nehemiah
    Porter Bartholomew • Linden Alexander
    Jean-Louis • Jean-Pierre • Jack • John