Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

House before baby?

Hi all,

I am in the planning stage right now as far as when to TTC in 2019/2020, and I'm wondering if I should go ahead or put it off until after I've bought a house. What are your experiences with a new baby in a house vs. an apartment? Would you recommend waiting for the house?

I'm feeling impatient because I figure the house buying will take time in my market, and settling into the house even more time before I could realistically start TTC. Then there's finances to consider... houses are notorious for eating up money, and I'd like to have a nice nest egg when I'm TTC. What do you think?

Looking forward to your input!

⇝⇜
    Astrid | Beatrix | Elodie | Elsie | Flora
    Freya | Hattie | Helena | Leonie | Louisa
    Linnea | Maeve | Margot | Matilda | Sanna | Theodora

Alfred | Barnaby | Cassian | Conrad | Edmund
    Everett | Felix | Finnian | Hector | Iver | Lorcan
    Magnus | Oscar | Otto | Rory | Toby | Winston
    ⇝⇜

"C." 26. Ultrasound tech and name lover. Just collecting.

I will always recommend buying a house first. The stability, having a place of your own, not renting, the freedom to decorate a nursery freely (a lot of rentals won’t allow free range), having a “home” to bring baby back to etc etc
    Financially in some cases, a mortgage can be cheaper than renting but there are the other costs (insurance, upkeep, utilities, furnishings etc) that do add up monthly.
    Consider how you would like to live after a baby is in the picture, will you be entitled to Maternity/Parental leave? That often cuts your salary in half.
    Do you have a down payment saved up already? Saving a down payment post-baby will be more difficult. If you have one, why wait to buy if the perfect place shows up?
    Having money saved up for the time you’ll have off work is pretty important like you said, the up front costs of a baby are often higher than people realize.

As far as house vs. Apartment goes, you’ll have more control over your environment in a house, no shared walls or neighbour noise to disturb your sleep/babies sleep, things like that.

A house was a nonnegotiable term for us TTC, it was very important for us to be in our own place.

{sleep wake hope and then}
    e.e cummings

TTC Our First
    Hoping on a Rainbow
    —————
    7w6d - 6w - 4w - 12w
    Patience - Opal - Hope - Haven
    Always with me.

Buying a house was high on our list of priorities before TTC but when it came down to it, we were too eager, too "ready" in all other ways, that we let this one slide. We were renting a house, not an apartment, and ended up finding a place to buy when our daughter was 15 months old. When I became pregnant with her we were most of the way toward saving for a down payment and actually put an offer in when she was 3 months old, but the contract fell through (thankfully! Looking back, it was for the best).

It probably took us longer to save after having a baby, as I was off work for a while and went back part time for the remainder of her first year. It was hard not being able to do much to the house in terms of baby-proofing when she got mobile. It drove me crazy that her room wasn't the perfect nursery I'd always imagined, as we couldn't paint and the carpet was stuck in the 50s. It was very hard to move with a 15 month old -- I was basically taken out of action to care for her, while my husband and his dad moved everything. Then there's the whole house set up... not easy with a toddler, either.

That said... if I had to go back, I wouldn't change anything. I'm glad we started trying when we did, and I know we wouldn't have this same little girl if we hadn't. I would argue things would definitely be easier if you waited for a house, but if you feel ready, it's not the worst thing to have a baby while renting.

Mummy to Rosalie Lyra ("Rosie") 17.01.16
    Baby Bear #2 Due March/April 2019

Thinking about...
    Theodore - Atticus - Sullivan

Thank you both for your detailed and insightful responses!

I do have a down payment saved up, but my sticky point is that I know I'll have to use medical intervention to get pregnant, which unfortunately also costs a lot of money. Money my savings could be going toward rather than a house. But, after reading and thinking, waiting for a house does have its benefits and I can see where that might be the smarter course. I think it's just especially hard for me right now because I'm surrounded by pregnancies, both in my circle and as an ultrasound tech at work... it makes my yearning that much tougher to ignore. Ultimately though, I don't want to do things rashly, so... I might have to wait.

⇝⇜
    Astrid | Beatrix | Elodie | Elsie | Flora
    Freya | Hattie | Helena | Leonie | Louisa
    Linnea | Maeve | Margot | Matilda | Sanna | Theodora

Alfred | Barnaby | Cassian | Conrad | Edmund
    Everett | Felix | Finnian | Hector | Iver | Lorcan
    Magnus | Oscar | Otto | Rory | Toby | Winston
    ⇝⇜

"C." 26. Ultrasound tech and name lover. Just collecting.

My husband and I are currently renting a 2-bedroom townhouse, and I am pregnant with our 3rd child. We have decided to stay here one more year, and pay off some debt and let our credit scores go up enough that we would qualify for a home loan. I figure the kids are young enough that they won’t care about sharing a room, or not having the walls painted a certain color. Although, to be honest, I never thought I’d be in the position to buy a home, so that wasn’t even something we talked about before getting pregnant
    Last edited by jensowvlen; December 30th, 2018 at 03:46 PM.
    Mommy to Audrey Jeanine and Ezra Marvin

Expecting Jasper Lee April 2019

Some favorite girls names

Dahlia Rue ~ Thea Grace ~ Violet Lenore

Some favorite boys names: Gideon Kent ~ Milo Taylor ~ Oscar Jack