Menu
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on the following names...

So I have a few names on my radar that are a little unorthodox and I really would like your honest opinions on them.

Rheagan - this is the traditional boy spelling of the name, but I really like it for a girl. Something about the 'h'.

Frasier/Fraser - I'm a big fan of the show and the name's pretty much grown on me. Don't hear very often except as a surname.

Guinness - Very big on the alcohol association but that's not why I chose it. Hubs and I couldn't agree on any boy 'G' names, but this one stood out as a unique choice. I really like it.

Guthrie - When I hear this name, I think of Savannah Guthrie from the Today Show, but also sounds girly to me I understand it is more of a boy name. But I like it and especially the meaning.

What do you guys think of these names?
    Favorite Girl Name Combos
    Miriam Josephine
    Miriam Joyce Rheagan
    Erin Guinness
    Erin Seraphina Claire
    Joy Emilia Claire
    Claire Josephine
    Abigail Miriam Everett

Favorite Boy Name Combos
    George Abraham Tidas
    Ambrose Elliott
    Aaron Maverick
    Aaron Royce Guinness
    Aaron Frasier
    John Joyce Maverick

Other Favorites

Gale - Raleigh - Rhett - Malcolm - Magnus - Theodore - Catherine - Everett - Evera - Everleigh - Melody - Rhea - Winifred - Etta

Rheagan - I really dislike this spelling. I do really like the name, but I can see this being frustrating to explain and spell all the time and I think the h really takes away from how great the name is. I do agree with you I like it best on a girl.

Frasier/Fraser - Fraiser is so cool, handsome fresh and timeless. I do prefer the Fraiser spelling

Guinness - Definitely different, however I kind of like the alcohol association (I also like Hennessy and Margarita on girls). You will definitely get some raised eyebrows about it, but other than that I think it's usable.

Guthrie - This one is just very harsh on the ears, not a pleasant sound, and too out there
    Amber/American/24/Namenerd

~middle/honor names~
    Jameson * Wesley * Arthur
    Annemarie * Eloise * Arietta
    Sonnet* Fable*Arrow*Bear

~Gents~
    Caspian nn Kip * Everett nn Rhett * Frederick nn Fitz
    Malachi nn Kai/ Mac * Donovan nn Van * Philip nn Pip

~Ladies~
    Helena nn Nellie * Cordelia nn Della/ Cody
    Avalon nn Lana* Aurora nn Rory * Bridget nn Jett

Quote Originally Posted by thenameprincess View Post
    Rheagan - I really dislike this spelling. I do really like the name, but I can see this being frustrating to explain and spell all the time and I think the h really takes away from how great the name is. I do agree with you I like it best on a girl.

Frasier/Fraser - Fraiser is so cool, handsome fresh and timeless. I do prefer the Fraiser spelling

Guinness - Definitely different, however I kind of like the alcohol association (I also like Hennessy and Margarita on girls). You will definitely get some raised eyebrows about it, but other than that I think it's usable.

Guthrie - This one is just very harsh on the ears, not a pleasant sound, and too out there

You make a good point about the 'h' in Rheagan. That would be really hard to deal with, and it kinda goes against my tendency to keep it simple. I think another reason why I like it so much, irregardless of gender, is because I've seen it used at my son's Preschool, and it visually reminds me so much of Rheagar (for any of you Game of Thrones fans).

Maybe I need to take more time to listen to some of the pronunciations of these names, particularly Guthrie. I don't know why it sounds softer to me, unless I'm mispronouncing it.

Thank you for your input!
    Miriam Josephine
    Miriam Joyce Rheagan
    Erin Guinness
    Erin Seraphina Claire
    Joy Emilia Claire
    Claire Josephine
    Abigail Miriam Everett

Favorite Boy Name Combos
    George Abraham Tidas
    Ambrose Elliott
    Aaron Maverick
    Aaron Royce Guinness
    Aaron Frasier
    John Joyce Maverick

Other Favorites

Gale - Raleigh - Rhett - Malcolm - Magnus - Theodore - Catherine - Everett - Evera - Everleigh - Melody - Rhea - Winifred - Etta

I like Regan, but I’m not so keen on Rheagan. In general, I wouldn’t use the name because I don’t like the connection to the president, and I prefer Tegan instead.

I like Frasier and Fraser. No opinion on spelling, but it has a familiar surname feel without being too common.

Not a fan of the other two. Guinness is too associated with the beer to me. I’d assume you had gotten the inspiration from *somewhere* but you couldn’t quite figure out where, and had been too lazy to Google it. Guthrie sounds squishy and frothy, and not in a good way. Maybe Gentry?
    Waddup, I’m Abby, I’m 19, and I never learned how to read.

Favorite TV shows pt 6/8 :
    A.P. Bio
    Sarika Mary | Grace Dallas | Heather Brielle
    Jack Duncan | Devin Miles | Daniel Lewis “Dan
    Colin Anthony | Marcus Dale | Victor Brandon

💜

Quote Originally Posted by sparkleninja18 View Post
    I like Regan, but I’m not so keen on Rheagan. In general, I wouldn’t use the name because I don’t like the connection to the president, and I prefer Tegan instead.

I like Frasier and Fraser. No opinion on spelling, but it has a familiar surname feel without being too common.

Not a fan of the other two. Guinness is too associated with the beer to me. I’d assume you had gotten the inspiration from *somewhere* but you couldn’t quite figure out where, and had been too lazy to Google it. Guthrie sounds squishy and frothy, and not in a good way. Maybe Gentry?
    Thank you for your input and suggestions. Name associations are an obvious obstacle for my choices. Like Rheagan, I can see what you mean. Especially Guinness.

Believe me, I've Googled the name Guinness, a lot in order to see how common of a name it was all around and what it's meaning could be beyond an alcoholic brand or record keeping fame. My husband and I have discussed "G" names at length and very few have really popped out at us. I just happened to see Guinness in a different light one day, and it made all the difference.

That being said, I'm starting to see the light in regards to Guthrie. I find it visually pleasing and might look cute in fancy penmanship, but phonetically doesn't work out. Oh well..
    Miriam Josephine
    Miriam Joyce Rheagan
    Erin Guinness
    Erin Seraphina Claire
    Joy Emilia Claire
    Claire Josephine
    Abigail Miriam Everett

Favorite Boy Name Combos
    George Abraham Tidas
    Ambrose Elliott
    Aaron Maverick
    Aaron Royce Guinness
    Aaron Frasier
    John Joyce Maverick

Other Favorites