Menu

Has this happened to you?

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if any of you have experienced what I am currently going through. And if you have, maybe you can shed some light. I am planning on getting to the doctor this week (or early next week) but of course I am driving myself a bit crazy.

I had a baby in June. After my 6 week check up I went back on birth control pills. The first month I spotted through them and got a "period" about a week before I finished the pack. It lasted a week and was heavier than my others on the pill. The second month was only a 25 day cycle. I started bleeding before the pack was finished again. It was another week of fairly heavy bleeding. I read about the possibilities of breakthrough bleeding and spotting in the first few months being on the pill and figured that must be it. But part of me wondered if they were even working at all. I have taken the pill for more than a decade before starting having babies and I never spotted or bled early on it at all, so this is weird for me.

This last cycle we had sex just after the time I might have ovulated (if I did ovulate and assuming it was around the two week mark) so I thought it should be fine. I probably didn't ovulate as the pills "should" be working and even then we should have missed it by several days.

I've been running low on my thyroid medication and have missed pills as well. I'm awful about taking them and miss days a lot, but I missed more than usual recently. I say this because I also read that hypothyroidism can cause you to miss a period. Have any of you experienced this? Again, I never have, even before being on medication for this.

So I'm on day 32 of what should have been a 28 day (by the pill pack) cycle. I have had several negative pregnancy tests. And for 4 days I have been getting a dark or light brown discharge like your period is starting or ending but never any red bleeding. I have read that brown blood is old blood. There has been nothing on a pad. Only when I wipe. I've had a few other early pregnancy symptoms but of course that could be a coincidence. With my other pregnancies I always got a positive before my period was even due. I never had any bleeding or brown discharge either. Have any of you experienced anything like this? As I said, I need to see a doctor for more thyroid medication anyway, so I will bring this up if my period hasn't arrived by then, but it's driving me crazy. Will I just have to keep testing? Could it be from skipping thyroid pills? Or is it something else entirely? I'm especially baffled as the last two periods were longer and heavier and sooner than expected and this is just the opposite. Like....where is it?

We are planning on trying for our fourth and final baby in January. This was my last pack of birth control pills. But now I don't even know what my cycle is doing. I'm just so confused.

If you read all of that, thank you so much. And if you can add anything, I really appreciate it. <3
    Finn, Leo, and Kate <3

Elena Ara Elizaveta | Mason Calder Declan

Freya Violet Arabella | Mila Aurora Guinevere | Fia Lillianna Rose | Morgana Olivia Genevieve
    Juliet Belle Sophia | Anya Isla Persephone | Stella Vivienne Zoe

Oliver Caspian James | Callum Nicholas Evander | August Victor Hugo
    Theo Bartholomew Lincoln | Dimitri Matthew Balthazar

Hey there! The only area I can personally touch on is the hypothyroidism. I'm not 100% sure if that is something that contributed to my wonky (sometimes absent) periods but I too either forget to or have trouble accessing my medication. I can say that I've never experienced bleeding like that from missing pills.

I'm sorry, I wish I could offer more insight. Hopefully you can get in to see your doctor soon!
    Alyssa

Elim Nathaniel James due Feb 2020 <3

"Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself"~ Coco Chanel

I have experienced this type of bleeding from missing pills and anytime it happened I ended up not being pregnant. The time I actually was pregnant I had no bleeding at all. That's just my experience though.
    Missing pills can make your cycle very crazy. You will most likely get your normal cycle within a week.
    Mommy to twins Arthur Robert and Jasper Steven 💞

Thinking of: Phoebe Rosalind or Griffin Orlando

*Murray*Fabian*Florian*Griffin*Lachlan*Harry*
    *Barnaby*Sumner*Felix*Marius*Jonas*Frederick*
    *Cornelius*Kipling*Kit*Valentine*Murphy*Victor*

*Eliza*Kerensa*Celeste*Rosalind*Opal*Cleo*
    *Iris*Harriet*Helena*Delphine*Sylvie*
    *Wilhelmina*Ivy*Hero*Phoebe*
    *Clara*Vivian*Winifred*Victoria*Blythe*

@whatchamacallit From missing thyroid pills? Because I didn't miss any birth control, I even take them at the same time (ish) every night. Which is partly why I'm so confused.
    Finn, Leo, and Kate <3

Freya Violet Arabella | Mila Aurora Guinevere | Fia Lillianna Rose | Morgana Olivia Genevieve

Oh, I'm sorry. No not thyroid pills. I misread and thought you meant both. That is a bit odd if you didn't miss any birth control pills I suppose. Though I've had weird cycles like that on birth control pills without skipping any too. Probably is good to talk to your doctor like you said. Though if you are getting a negative pregnancy test at this point I still think you'll probably get your normal cycle soon. Sorry I can't be more help. Hope you find out one way or the other soon.
    Mommy to twins Arthur Robert and Jasper Steven 💞

Thinking of: Phoebe Rosalind or Griffin Orlando

*Murray*Fabian*Florian*Griffin*Lachlan*Harry*
    *Barnaby*Sumner*Felix*Marius*Jonas*Frederick*
    *Cornelius*Kipling*Kit*Valentine*Murphy*Victor*

*Eliza*Kerensa*Celeste*Rosalind*Opal*Cleo*
    *Iris*Harriet*Helena*Delphine*Sylvie*
    *Wilhelmina*Ivy*Hero*Phoebe*
    *Clara*Vivian*Winifred*Victoria*Blythe*

I’m in college, and don’t have any kids....but I am on the pill, and it took me about 6 months before my periods were actually regular. I would randomly start bleeding in the middle of packs, my doctor said it was perfectly normal.

Little Laddies
    Asa Thiago
    Jasper Augustus
    Hugo Leander

Little Lassies
    Sylvie Adelaide
    Thea Marigold
    Anouk Felicity

I hated being on birth control pills. I was on a sort that was supposed to keep my period away for three months but I had a full period every single month, and I was religious about taking them. I never trusted them as birth control as they didn't seem to stop me ovulating. This was pre-kids, I went off them probably a year before trying as they seemed useless. Never went back on them again.

So I can't speak to your current experience but breakthrough bleeding definitely does happen. Another idea though -- can it just be hormone postpartum weirdness?
    Last edited by northernlights; Yesterday at 12:14 AM.

Mummy to Rosalie Lyra ("Rosie") 17.01.16
    and Atticus Jon ("Kit") 27.03.19

Thanks for all of your responses, I really appreciate them.

I saw the doctor today for more medication and as soon as I mentioned a possible connection between thyroid and a missed period she immediately said it was likely. She gave me a blood work requisition as well and said I can use it now or later on if I want to wait and see if more pregnancy symptoms appear. But that so many negative tests make it unlikely. So I feel a bit better about things, will wait and see if nausea or exhaustion kick in (my two telltale pregnancy symptoms) and if not hopefully my period will return soon. I've been cramping like crazy but nothing so far.
    Finn, Leo, and Kate <3