Menu
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

To find out the sex or not?

I'm pretty sure I want to keep this baby's gender a surprise, but my SO is terribly impatient and wants to find out. I love surprises, and there are so few of them in our life. I feel like finding out is a lot like peeking at Christmas presents too early. I love the thrill of not knowing. I love the idea of doing old wives' tales, guessing, dreaming, collecting bets and so on.

But my SO is the practical one, and he says it would be much easier to decide on nursery theme, coming home outfit, and names if we found out. What should we do? We still have a couple of days to decide, and I would love some opinions.

If your SO wants to find out, then can't he learn the sex and simply not share it with you? It wouldn't make deciding on a nursery, outfit or name easier, but it'd still be a compromise that'd make your SO happy. Good luck!
    Last edited by emmievis; October 31st, 2018 at 04:18 PM.
    💐💐💐
    ❤ Celia • Queer • Bird Mom to Bowie ❤
    Dorothy Lilac • Helen Rosamund • Henrietta Joy
    Meadow Louise • Theodora True • Winifred Hope

Edmund Fox • Jem Augustus • Phillip Arrow
    Rafferty Noble • Reuben Shepherd • Stanley Ocean

💐💐💐

emmievis: This is actually a great idea! I am not sure how to do it, but we certainly can ask them to write it down on a piece of paper and just give it to my SO? Thank you!
    Dromio † Gwydion † Amadeus † Crispin † Laertes † Franz † Lysander † Melchior † Emrys

Berengaria † Perpetua † Cosima † Aminta
    Octavia † Flavia † Melisande † Ottilie

We're in the opposite situation as you. My husband never wants to know, and I always do. For our first we found out at the 20 week ultrasound because I just couldn't handle not knowing. For me the biggest worry was having to figure out boy and girl name options.

For this one, my husband is getting his way, and we're team green until the birth. I think it's easier on me this time because we've figured out our naming style and it feels much less overwhelming to need options for both sexes. I always had a rule that either we both know or we both don't, but even when we knew, it was a secret only for us (which was tricky but actually fun).

If you're planning on more than one, can you do a compromise like this? If you're not, I think the mom gets 60% of the vote.
    -J.C.

Mom to Vera Catherine
    Expecting #2 12-26-18

Current loves-
    Claire Juliet, Audrey Joan, Etta Mary, Zara Elayne
    Grant Michael, Walter John, Arthur Thomas, Gideon James

I personally am high anxiety so not knowing until I give birth would make me go insane so I applaud you and your patience. I agree with above about possibly letting your SO find out and letting him keep it to himself so as not to ruin the surprise for you. Good luck!
    Waiting on little Calix Birch.
    EDD 05/02/2019