Menu

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Age Gaps

My first and second are 2 years apart, my second and third are 2 years apart, and my third and fourth are 15 months apart! I think the age gaps between mine are perfect.

I'm just a arduous planner and have been thinking about a age gap of 22 months between my 1st and 2nd child. Two kids is pretty much my ideal number, so I'll be happy on going through the diapers and sleep deprivation phase at once.

My sister and I are 3 1/2 years apart and we became really close when both of us were teens (when I was 16 and she was 13, precisely). I wish we were closer during the early years of our lives.
    ♂ Teodoro.
    Liliana, Sabrina. ♀

Thinking about:
    Itai.

I feel like a 2-3 year age gap is pretty standard (and is ideal for a lot of reasons). If it's less than two years, you don't have as much of a chance to recover, and if it's greater than three years, the kids will have a harder time playing together.

However, PLENTY of people have kids 12-28 months apart, and the first couple years are HARD, but then usually the kids grow up being close friends and go through the same stages at similar times.

And plenty of people (like me) have kids that are spaced farther apart. There are 3.5 years between my first two kids, and there will be a 6.5-year gap before this next one is born. My oldest two actually DO play together really well now, though that didn't happen until they were around 3 and 6 years old.

I think 1-2 years apart would be ideal for me!

it's time for another list revamp...

If I wanted my own babies I liked the idea of 4-5 years gap, but then when the eldest is 5-10, the other child is 0-5 which is when you need to look after them most and end up missing an important chunk of time of the eldest child's life. So as romantic as that age gap seems to me, it would actually probably be best if they were close in age.

Since I want to adopt or foster older kids, it seems that age-gaps can be further apart without causing destruction - might even be better with the wider age-gap?