Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    [QUOTE=ceryle;4217257]This is what I came on here to add—in my neck of the woods, even "newer money" families seem to use unisex or surname names for girls. Stafford is one I knew in grade school. On the trendier side, things like Hayden, Peyton, Kendall...

Same for boys—I associate unusual surnames with money, and occasionally you'll see a Lesley or a Shannon.[/ You QUOTE]

I could see Flannery, Stafford, Clancy, etc. unisex names being quite popular among the upper class. I have known 2 very rich girls with surnamey unisex first names. But I'd separate that from trendy unisex names like Everly, Hayden, Kayden, Jayden, Mackenzie, Madison, etc. I've known many girls with such trendy unisex names. I'd guess that 80% of them would be lower middle to lower class.

I should add, I wish it didn't matter... but I think we've not quite developed to the point where such things don't matter.

Can I ask you guys specifically (and I will not be at all offended), if you met an Emiliana or a Caspian, what social class would you think they belong to?

Name Nerd, Professor, Anthropologist, INTP, Expat, Mom

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14
    &
    Caspian Kaveh 郑煜祺 '17

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    Can I ask you guys specifically (and I will not be at all offended), if you met an Emiliana or a Caspian, what social class would you think they belong to?
    I generally agree with the above posts, so I'll just answer this question. I would definitely think Emiliana came from an upper class home, or at least from parents who were bold and sophisticated. Caspian, because of the Narnia books, has gotten more popular but if I met one I would probably assume he was from at least a middle class if not upper middle class background. Looking at them together I would guess the family was upper middle class. Emiliana feels like a South American or European name to me, and I would imagine her to have long dark hair, dark eyes, and light brown skin. I have no real mental image of what a Caspian would look like though. (Love both names by the way!)
    Hillary | 26 | Cat Mama to Lily | Graduate student of Children's Literature

Aurelia Joan || Fiona Willow || Athena Gabrielle
    Liana Jasmine || Aria Gwendolyn || Freya Lucia || Leona Raquel || Valencia

Sylvan Jeffrey || Wesley Sequoia || Theodore Jean-Luc
    Rowan Lierre || Calvin Juniper || Finley Sage || Damian Patrick || Rio

Another UK poster here. I would associate the names that are popular in the Telegraph BAs with upper class children.
    http://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2017/01/telegraph-births-2016.html
    (NB most if not all of these names are used by working class and middle class parents as well)

I would associate extravagant spellings, certain celebrity or pop culture-inspired names (e.g. Miley), brand-inspired names (e.g. Chanel) and some non-traditional hyphenated names (e.g. Lacey-Mae) with children from the lowest income backgrounds.

I'm from the Netherlands, upperclass names to me would be the ''NRC''-names (Kind of posh Dutch newspaper, a bit like the Telegraph in the UK). Some examples: Olivier, Floris/Florian, Guus, Felix, Charlotte, Julie, Maurits, Henriëtte, Milou. Or what seems trendy right now: short names like Flip, Puck, Pleun, Boet, Billy, Kiki.

As for lower class, I'd mostly associate italian/spanish-sounding names (Lorenzo, Gino, Diego, Ricardo), pop-culture inspired names and ''Dj-names'' (Djames, Djaylano, Djayden).
    kay - dutch teenberry
    Jane Madelief ✰ Zara Delphine ✰ Leonore Fleur
    Ezra Johannes ✰ Felix Absalom ✰ Gideon Atticus
    Crushing on: Bodine + Mozes + Dorian

“Personally, I think the whole idea is a warped one. The subconscious urge for parents to align themselves with a social class in their choice of a name for a child shows that classism is still far too prevalent in our society, in my opinion - and what's worse, that it's intruding on a domain where it has no right. Parents should be able to name their daughter Euphrasie or Madison simply based on what the name means for them personally, no matter their social class. Children's names should be free of these kind of social identity conundrums.”[/QUOTE]

Kew: Exactly!^ Agree with you 100%!