Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Needing more help!

Sorry, posting once again!

You were all so helpful with my poll regarding the names Elliott Edmund or Edmund Elliott.

My husband and I love the nicknames Ned and Teddy for Edmund, and we are starting to realize we love those nicknames more than the actual name Edmund. We don't want to use those names just by themselves as we feel it'd be nice to have a full name for him to use professionally. We are also Australian which is very big with nicknames.
    For example, my name is Josephine but I go mostly by Jo. Husband's name is Robert, and he goes mostly by Robbie. We want the same option for our son.

What do you all think of possibly using the nicknames Teddy or Ned for the name Elliott Edmund? I know that they're nicknames for Edmund, but does it make any sense to use the nickname from the middle name? I'm just not sure whether it would just come across to people as confusing.

Thanks for any input! We've got 5 weeks to go, and still haven't come to any decisions.
    Walter Theodore
    March 2016

#2 Due July 2018
    Elliott Edmund or Edmund Elliott

Florence • Gilbert • Matilda • Elliott
    • Harriet • Edmund • Violet

Guilty Pleasures:
    Posey • Austen • Theodora • Arlo • Clover • Abel • Effie

I think Elliott Edmund "Teddy"/"Ned" definitely works. Both Teddy and Ned are these nicknames that are a bit of a stretch for any name, and Elliott "Ned" isn't any worse than Theodore "Ned".
    ☾althea☽ daisy ☾edie☽ freya ☾goldie☽ hazel ☾india ☽ monet ☾ophelia☽ sibyl ☾twila
    +
    ☾atlas☽ elliot ☾grover☽ hart ☾ivan☽ gideon ☾ray☽ seymour ☾thurston☽ walter

Thanks @moonstone
    Walter Theodore
    March 2016

#2 Due July 2018

Guilty Pleasures:

Honestly, I think as the parents you get to choose the nickname you like regardless of whether it makes sense to people. Other people don't have to get it! If I said "My first name is Sarah but I go by Beth" would anyone really question it? I think generally people might wonder about it for a minute and then get over it and call me Beth. So if you want to use a nickname from the middle name, I see no reason not to use it.

For what it's worth, my brother's name is Richard Christopher, and he goes exclusively by Chris in all settings. It can be confusing in official matters (doctors and teachers are the usually ones who get confused about it) but for the most part it's been a non-issue, and no one has ever insisted on calling him a variant of Richard.
    Hillary | 26 | Cat Mama to Lily Leona | Graduate student of Children's Literature

Aurelia Jasmine | Alina Verity | Fiona Willow | Aria Gwendolyn | Athena Gabrielle
    Leona | Ruby | Liana | Freya | Lucia | Raquel

Wesley Sage | Calvin Sequoia | Theodore Jean-Luc (Theo)
    Rowan Zephyr | Finley Caspian | Sylvan Jeffrey | Lucien

Bump pls. Hoping to get a wide range of opinions
    Walter Theodore
    March 2016

#2 Due July 2018

Guilty Pleasures: