Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Edith or Beatrice?

I know these names are stylistically very similar, but what do you think are the differences? How do you picture each?

Incidentally, it's very very very early (too early to share with family, for instance) but there is a reason for asking...
    Mom to:

Margaret Ruth (born October 2012)
    Anne Marcella (born December 2014)
    Peter Bartholomew (born June 2017)

I LOVE Edith with the sister names. Edith appeals to me because it strikes me as serious and a bit bookish.
    Ellen Virginia * Margaret Audrey * Louisa Claire * Celia Irene * Molly Kathleen
    Timothy Gerard * Benedict Aloysius * Joseph Malachi * Edmund Vincent * Peter Augustine

Also Liking: Una Catherine * Edith Augusta * Claudia Hazel * Miriam Tess * Sybil Josephine * Cassandra Niamh * Saoirse Noelle * Siobhan Brigid * Emily Caroline

Congrats!

I absolutely *adore* Edith. I agree with @erin beth that she feels bookish and smart, but also super sweet and sassy! Just lovely Easy to pronounce and spell, unexpected yet recognizable, sophisticated yet spunky. And Edith works SO well with the sibling names, too!

While I do see the appeal of Beatrice, I have never fallen for her the same way. Bea is an really cute nn, but Beatrice in full feels a bit fussy/frilly.

Good luck

on my mind ~

ella sweetbriar ⋅ meadow annevieve ⋅ elowen larkspur ⋅ jessamy corinne
    poppy elinor ⋅ mairwen charlotte ⋅ madelief sparrow ⋅ lydia foxglove

asher nightingale ⋅ elliot sequoia ⋅ thomas fielding ⋅ wesley vervain
    seamus hawthorne ⋅ rory maxfield ⋅ brooks laramie ⋅ benjamin acre
    peter shenandoah ⋅ gabriel campion ⋅ iain somerset ⋅ silas bramwell

katelyn // more blessed than broken.

Edith is a little more serious to me, I think because of the -th ending. Beatrice is more flowery with its happy meaning and the Beatrix Potter connection. The pronunciation of Beatrice trips me up, though, and I prefer Edie to Bea in terms of nicknames.
    Greta Josephine - Jane Isadora - Harriet Eloise - Audrey Emmeline - Leona Ruth
    Milo Anthony - Arthur Eugene - Toby William - Frederick John - Elliot Ronan

I like Beatrice more.
    Aurora Blanchefleur ° Charlotte Delyth ° Eponine Freya ° Gwenllian Helena ° Isabella Juliet ° Kerensa Lenore ° Millicent Nerissa ° Ottilie Paisley ° Quilla Rosalie ° Seraphina Thisbe ° Undine Velvet ° Wendy Xanthe ° Yseult Zephyrine
    Alphabet girls