Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would you rather....

From a discussion with my husband this morning...

Would you rather be named a super popular name for your generation or an old lady/old man name that hasn't made it back to cool yet (just makes you look like you're 30/40/50 years older than you are)?

And, as a second question, do you think the answer might differ for boys and girls?
    Mom to Jacob, Colin, Maxwell, and Henry.

Proud to be the mom of 4 little boys.
    (But it is nuts. )

It would depend on the name! There are some super popular names that are perennially classic and wouldn't date, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant. Hmmm. I'd have to go with the old name, because I love old names and think it's pretty cool whenever I meet a child that changes my perception of a "dated" name!

Runa Solace
    Lyra Firefly, Simeon Peace, Audrey Midwinter, Rhydian Archer, Swyn Azenor, Theophilus Brave, Lærke Madeleine, Asa Hugo
    Mabel Cornelia Violet, Rowan Isaiah Loyal,
    Seren Eva Frances, Felix Evergreen Truth

Looking for a middle for Aelwyd

Hmm depends on the name? My own name is on the top 10 for generations and counted as an old lady name at the same but, plot twist it's actually a boy's name
    🐾
    Allyria Willow | Aurora Primrose | Clarisse Ava
    Daisy Manon | Diane Vittoria | Forsythia Pebbles
    Imogen Valeria | Isobel Araminta Joy
    Jonquil Amathea | Lucia Penrose | Marion Giselle
    Rosemary Aludra | Sophia Nightingale | Willa Irene

🐾
    Brandon Reed | Endymion Luka | Gideon Ambrose
    Harrison Ames | Leodore Samson | Maximilian Henry
    Peregrine Viggo | Remington Atlas | Sophio Diakamós
    Soren Arthur | Theodore Sylvan | Ulysses Edmund

thinking about Qarina & Magnus

I agree that it depends on what it is. I agree on trendy vs classic, but also the sound of the name itself can date it. I'd rather be a Marie than a Mildred.

On the thought of sound, I think it depends on if it fits into current name trends. Bertha was #8 in 1885, and Ida was #9. I'd rather be an Ida than a Bertha, because Ida sounds similar to names that are popular right now.

It's different for boys vs girls because boys' names don't go in and out of style the way girls' names do. On the other hand, boys' names that do go out of style are usually names that would be much harder to live with (in my opinion) than girls' names, because they sound way more dated and have more era-specific sounds, like Ronald or Gary.
    Last edited by greta-elizabeth; April 12th, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
    Walter ~ Richard ~ Martin ~ Joseph ~ Edgar ~ Ezra ~ William

Edith ~ Matilda ~ Karen ~ Eleanor ~ Mehitabel

I agree: it does depend on the name. It's purely down to personal preference for me.

My name, Amelia, was #21 in England and Wales the year I was born and I don't mind it at all. I suppose you mean something a bit more popular than that? #1 that year was Emily, which I dislike due to personal association and thus would hate to be named. In fact, I dislike all the top 10 names for my birth year bar one (Lucy - #7). I really love old-fashioned names, though, and wouldn't mind having one.

A name I go by online often is James, which is what I'd want to be named if I were a guy (#4 in my birth year). I also love Jack (#1) and Thomas (#3). In that case, I think I'd prefer a popular name, just because my favourites and preferred names for myself were all - and still are - popular.

However, I'm more likely to meet a Jack my age (with 9037 births) than an Emily (5423), so that could be something to take into account in terms of name popularity based on gender.
    Last edited by books_and_tea; April 12th, 2018 at 03:12 PM.
    lists

arthur theodore jack [rue] & matilda rose juno [lola]

hugo barnaby wilder [wilde] & edmund percival skandar [remy] & caspian asa lupin [kit]
    violet dorothy sibyl [dora] & beatrix clemency nala [bette] & alice cordelia sunny [essie]

maybe:
    james larkspur ۰ claude bedivere ۰ ansel hawthorn
    percival adair ۰ skandar wolf ۰ basil henry ۰ theseus grey
    clemency ladybird ۰ thisbe minerva ۰ lilou waterlily ۰ cordelia fox
    matilda loveday ۰ nuala honeywild ۰ ada marigold ۰ claudine grey