Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are These Names Too Old?

I have a few names that I like but I think they may be too old, but I'm not sure. Hoping y'all can help me out!

1. I love the name Zigmund, it was my grandfather's middle name and I love the nicknames Zig and Ziggy. Do you think it's too old and out there, or able to be revived? I've never liked the idea of naming a child after someone, but my late grandpa's name is Felix Zigmund and I love it. Should I just stick with Felix?

2. Is Grover too old and too Sesame-streetish? I used to think so but with Oscar becoming popular, could Grover work? (I love Oscar too but my cousin has a son named this)

3. Is Orville too old/too related to popcorn?

4. Is Wilbur too childish/old/piggish? (I like both of the Wright brother's names LOL)

Thank you!

🌿 rory 🌿

matilda valentine "tillie" • waverly beatrix • acadia scout • elowen fable • callista thisbe "callie" • phoebe andromeda • lyra sonnet • juno calliope • rowan clementine • cordelia merritt "coco" • zelda marigold

octavian wells "otto" • henry cosmo • caspian apollo "casper" • evander orion "van" • grover amadeus • atlas cousteau • everest percival • remus grey "remy"

These names are all very Telegraph-y to me right now--that is, names that I could easily see being used on a child of the gentry but not anyone else. Especially Wilbur, I see a lot of Wilbur in there.

Personally I think Wilbur is the most usable because he can be Will or Bill.

Zigmund might be difficult outside of a German speaking country, since that's not a spelling people are going to be super familiar with. At least I would assume Sigmund.
    Walter ~ Richard ~ Martin ~ Joseph ~ Edgar ~ Ezra ~ William

Edith ~ Matilda ~ Karen ~ Eleanor ~ Mehitabel

All names I like. I would happily use any of them except Grover. I do like Grover but I just don't think it's ready for revival. I personally think Zigmund, Orville and Wilbur are though. My husband disagreed with me on all 3 of them. He did approve Orson, Orwell and Wilfred though... nothing remotely similar to Zigmund was put on my hubby approved list... I guess Redmond would have been the closest.
    Mother to Lucille Beatrice, Lennon Wallace and Baby Boy coming May 2018!

Check out my blog at www.danceswithdiapers.com.

Quote Originally Posted by auroracallista View Post
    I have a few names that I like but I think they may be too old, but I'm not sure. Hoping y'all can help me out!

1. I love the name Zigmund, it was my grandfather's middle name and I love the nicknames Zig and Ziggy. Do you think it's too old and out there, or able to be revived? I've never liked the idea of naming a child after someone, but my late grandpa's name is Felix Zigmund and I love it. Should I just stick with Felix?

2. Is Grover too old and too Sesame-streetish? I used to think so but with Oscar becoming popular, could Grover work? (I love Oscar too but my cousin has a son named this)

3. Is Orville too old/too related to popcorn?

4. Is Wilbur too childish/old/piggish? (I like both of the Wright brother's names LOL)

Thank you!
    Zigmund is interesting. I am not wild about the name and dislike Ziggy intensely, but that's mostly b/c I had a creepy student with that name. Not bad names, but there would be no way to know if your son would feel bothered by the name/nn. Of course, that's true about most names, right?

That said, I adore Grover and Grove, Orville and Orrie, and Wilbur and Will/Wilkie.

We just saw the coolest exhibit on the Wright brothers at the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC and it reminded me of how much I love those names, including Wright.
    Some Favorites:

Ursula, Loire, Ada, Joan, Araminta, Gladys, Heloise, Nandina, Lumiere, Shasta, Anne, Morwenna, Judi, Helen, Earhart, Ghislaine, Vera, Angharad, Consuelo, Palmyra, Jo, Cedora, Mignon, Djuna, Maryellen, Dinah, Clarimond, Guinevere, Tish

Rutger, Torsten, Bancroft, Diego, Lars, Ademir, Sven, Dougal, Milford, Giles, Benvolio, Caleb, Rob, Struan, Tarquin, Rigoberto, Stanislas, Vermont, Nehemiah, Bob, Sylvan, Danube, Percy, John, Isaac, Jonah, Shaw, Caradoc, Stavros, Timmy

I like Zigmund, non Zig/Ziggy. It’s totally usable in my opinion and great family connection. Not crazy about the others.
    Mum to two sweet girls