Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are These Names Too Old?

I have a few names that I like but I think they may be too old, but I'm not sure. Hoping y'all can help me out!

1. I love the name Zigmund, it was my grandfather's middle name and I love the nicknames Zig and Ziggy. Do you think it's too old and out there, or able to be revived? I've never liked the idea of naming a child after someone, but my late grandpa's name is Felix Zigmund and I love it. Should I just stick with Felix?

2. Is Grover too old and too Sesame-streetish? I used to think so but with Oscar becoming popular, could Grover work? (I love Oscar too but my cousin has a son named this)

3. Is Orville too old/too related to popcorn?

4. Is Wilbur too childish/old/piggish? (I like both of the Wright brother's names LOL)

Thank you!
    matilda valentine "tillie" / beatrix scout "bee" / elowen briar "winnie"
    freya louise / piper clementine / waverly june

roswell kit "wells" / caspian apollo "casper" / evander cove "van"
    henry cosmo / felix jupiter / alistair cousteau

eloise, thisbe, lilo, callista, lavender - atlas, orion, roscoe, zigmund, max

These names are all very Telegraph-y to me right now--that is, names that I could easily see being used on a child of the gentry but not anyone else. Especially Wilbur, I see a lot of Wilbur in there.

Personally I think Wilbur is the most usable because he can be Will or Bill.

Zigmund might be difficult outside of a German speaking country, since that's not a spelling people are going to be super familiar with. At least I would assume Sigmund.
    Walter ~ Richard ~ Martin ~ Joseph ~ Edgar ~ Ezra ~ William

Edith ~ Matilda ~ Karen ~ Eleanor ~ Mehitabel

All names I like. I would happily use any of them except Grover. I do like Grover but I just don't think it's ready for revival. I personally think Zigmund, Orville and Wilbur are though. My husband disagreed with me on all 3 of them. He did approve Orson, Orwell and Wilfred though... nothing remotely similar to Zigmund was put on my hubby approved list... I guess Redmond would have been the closest.
    Mother to Lucille Beatrice, Lennon Wallace and Truman James!

Check out my blog at www.danceswithdiapers.com.

Quote Originally Posted by auroracallista View Post
    I have a few names that I like but I think they may be too old, but I'm not sure. Hoping y'all can help me out!

1. I love the name Zigmund, it was my grandfather's middle name and I love the nicknames Zig and Ziggy. Do you think it's too old and out there, or able to be revived? I've never liked the idea of naming a child after someone, but my late grandpa's name is Felix Zigmund and I love it. Should I just stick with Felix?

2. Is Grover too old and too Sesame-streetish? I used to think so but with Oscar becoming popular, could Grover work? (I love Oscar too but my cousin has a son named this)

3. Is Orville too old/too related to popcorn?

4. Is Wilbur too childish/old/piggish? (I like both of the Wright brother's names LOL)

Thank you!
    Zigmund is interesting. I am not wild about the name and dislike Ziggy intensely, but that's mostly b/c I had a creepy student with that name. Not bad names, but there would be no way to know if your son would feel bothered by the name/nn. Of course, that's true about most names, right?

That said, I adore Grover and Grove, Orville and Orrie, and Wilbur and Will/Wilkie.

We just saw the coolest exhibit on the Wright brothers at the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC and it reminded me of how much I love those names, including Wright.

I like Zigmund, non Zig/Ziggy. It’s totally usable in my opinion and great family connection. Not crazy about the others.
    Mum to two sweet girls