Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How Would You Spell This Name for This Pronunciation?

I like the name Madeline, and in my head I read it as "Mad-ah-lyn", which is the pronunciation I prefer (as opposed to Mad-ah-line, like the French girl who lives in a house covered in vines). I don't really care for the Madalyn spelling, but I am afraid that I would have to use it for correct pronunciation.

What are your thoughts, Berries?
    Bjorn Knox
    Jasper Lorenz
    Titus Andrew
    Jonah Oliver
    Arlo Maxim
    Seren Juniper Snow
    Esme Opal Belle
    Signe Hazel
    Cleo Simone
    Arabella Wren

I think the closest towards your preferred pronunciation is Madeleine (mad-eh-lehn).

In the US, Madeline will more often than not get you where you want. Madelyn is actually the most popular spelling so maybe that appeals more than Madalyn? My younger sister is Leah Madeline, and her middle name is pronounced -lyn.
    Waddup, I’m Abby, I’m 19, and I never learned how to read.

Back to the OGs
    Maeve Alaska | Iris Michaela | Juno Cosima | Rowan Maia | Eleni Sofia
    Kaia Marvel | Parker Eloise | Ziva Maelys | Saela Vesper | Mila Ariadne

◮ ▼ ◭

Leo Matthias | Cassian Micah | Torin Elliot | Finley Matteo | Felix Alistair
    Elias | Emerson | Archer | Asher | Luca

💜

I'd spell it Madeleine for that pronunciation. That said, I think many (non-namenerd) English speakers might automatically say it as you like upon seeing Madeline anyway, due to the popularity of Madalyn.

I say-
    Madelyn: Mad-uh-lynn
    Madeleine: Mad-uh-len
    Madeline: Mad-uh-line

So I would spell it Madelyn for your pronunciation, but I’d probably just as for clarification if I had to say/spell it.
    Jam|Fangirl|Historian|Biochemist|Single Pringle|20|Future mummy
    Dreaming of...
    Pandora Beatrix FaeCaspian Sherlock Walter • Artemis Valkyrie ClioPtolemy Lysander George
    Horatio Phoenix Arthur • Nikolai Emrys Altair • Evanthe Sylvia Cherry • Zenobia/Calista Hermione Blue
    Marigold Tallulah Ann • Lavender Athena Lucille ‘Lal’Prosper William Kit • Ephraim Atticus John
    GuysGals
    "'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end.”