Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Disney?

Too Disney?

I’d love to hear some thoughts on Ariel.

I really like the Hebrew heritage, I think it’s short, strong, and intellectual-sounding... but then there’s the Little Mermaid.

Is that still going to be people’s first response on hearing it? The film came out in 1989! Does the Disney connotation overwhelm any others, and how bad is the Disney-factor anyway? Would it be a deal-breaker for you?

Im 23 and I still hate the movie, always had, which is why I hate that name itself.

Also it sounds too girly.
    This user has been banned

It's time to reclaim Ariel! I know a strong and intellectual woman named Ariel and I say go for it. It's a great name.
    Ellen Virginia * Margaret Audrey * Louisa Catherine * Celia Irene * Molly Caroline
    Timothy Gerard * Benedict Aloysius * Joseph Malachi * Edmund Leo * Peter Augustine

Also Liking: Edith Augusta * Claudia Hazel * Portia Naomi * Miriam Tess * Sybil Therese * Miranda Jane * Cassandra Niamh * Saoirse Noelle * Siobhan Brigid * Alison Clare

It's not too Disney at all! I know several Ariels and it's never the first thing to cross my mind. It's sooo pretty and underappreciated!
    22-year-old boy who just happens to like baby names.

Girls: Amberley Cypress, Anya Carina, Athena Shaylene,
    Darcy Amabel, Kassia Laurel, Keeley Sky, Laurel Sabine,
    Lindsay Kaia, Lisandra Charmaine, Lissette Prairie,
    Maryelle Cynthie, Misty Sabine, Saba Lindsay, Sabine Thaissa,
    Sky Rosemarie, Thalia Coraima

Boys: Adair, Alexander, Bjorn, Blair, Clark,
    Conrad, Erik, Fable, Jamie, Kasey, Keiran,
    Lachlan, Layne, Mark, Montana, Sayre,
    Shane, Slade, Thatcher, Zander, Zane

Initially, yes, I would think of the Little Mermaid. But just in these two minutes I took to read Nameberry's description of the name, etc. I am already falling in love with the sound and meaning of it. The Little Mermaid reference doesn't seem overwhelming at all and I assume that's how many, if not most, people will feel as well.
    Teenberry hopelessly in love with names
    Cultural Names
    ♀: Aanya, Janvi, Jayati, Raina, Sonia
    ♂: Ishan, Rohan, Sameer
    "Western" Names
    ♀: Lilia, Maeve, Nora, Mila, Eva
    ♂: Toby, Ezra, Rory, Hugo, Liam