Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Stuck for a girl

We are expecting our first baby in May and are not finding out the gender. We’ve landed on a boys name, complete with middles (his family has a pattern of using two middle names which we don’t mind sticking with, but it isn’t a must), but I can’t for the life of me find a girls name that I am head over heels with. Looking for some inspo to break out of the box.

DH has suggested some names that he thinks are fantastic, but I only feel okay about. To boot, our last name is a clunky 2-syllable Scottish name that starts with R and it’s difficult to find anything that sounds truly great with it.

Middle name will likely be Margot to honour my grandmother who recently passed.

Preamble aside, I’m searching for some inspiration to break out of the box. I feel that we’re close to finding the perfect name but aren’t quite there.

We both love names that are classic but not overused, and are into nature or bird names if they’re not too outlandish. My father has a bird name, and a granddaughter to match him is a nice way to tie them together I think. Some contenders are:

Ophelia
    Penelope
    Beatrix
    Fiona

We both love Wren but it sounds truly terrible with our last name. If we went with Ophelia, i would go with the middle names Lark Margot and call her Lark. I feel that Ophelia is too fussy for everyday. I wanted to go with Lark as the first, but both DH and I felt it wasn’t feminine enough to stand on its own.

Similarly, a little Penelope would be Penny or Poppy for everyday wear. DH feels it’s too cutesy considering there’s a strong chance this kid could be a redhead, but I think that makes both nicknames more charming.

To summarize my novel (sorry!), does anything jump out at you as a possibility that I’m missing? I want to feel as great about this name as I do for our boys choice, and feel guilty that everything just makes me feel meh so far.

I think Ophelia Lark Margot 'Lark' makes for a truly lovely name.

What about Paloma 'Poppy', giving you both a bird name (means 'dove') and a desired everyday wear nickname that fits your classic but not overused or outlandish style criteria?

I think Beatrix would work with the nickname of 'Birdie', which gives you a merging of your wants in a name.

Other ideas based on the style of Ophelia, Penelope, Beatrix & Fiona...
    Flora
    Ottilie
    Clementine
    Audrey
    Georgiana
    Elodie
    Phoebe
    Aurora
    Felicity
    Delilah
    Naomi
    Anthea
    Sabine
    Clara
    Adelaide
    Lillian

I love love love Penelope (especially with the nn Poppy!) and I think Penelope Margot sounds perfect! I definitely don’t see Poppy as too cutesy and if she gets sick of it when she’s older she always has the opportunity to go by Penelope.
    Some others to consider:
    Josephine (countless nn opportunities if you like, still works well on its own)
    Felicity
    Phoebe (also a bird name)
    Jane (more on the popular side but seems to fit well with your other options, could be used as a middle)
    Cecilia
    Florence
    Hazel
    Genevieve
    Phillipa (nn Pippa?)
    Scarlett
    Imogen

Another suggestion would be Elizabeth (or another fitting name) nn Birdie.

I personally love Penelope but if it doesn’t work out I also Felicity Margot.
    Favorite Combos
    Wesley James “Wes”
    Serena Bryn
    Holland Cecilia
    Josephine Elizabeth “Finn”

Perhaps Bridget nickname "Birdie"
    Other Suggestions:

Evelyn
    Phoebe
    Avis
    Dove
    Rhea

Penny for a redhead would be so cute, yet Penelope would be a good option if she wanted to change it as she gets older. I agree, Penelope Margot is gorgeous.