Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Honest opinion:Hayven for a boy

I love the name Hayden Rhett for a boy. I love that I could use the nickname Hays/Hayes and Hay. I recently heard Haven, spelled Hayven for a boy. I don’t know if it’s terrible or girly. Or if Hayes could even come from that. Thoughts? Honest opinions please. I just heard this so no hard feelings ahah.
    "Mightier than the waves of the sea is His love." Psalm 93:4

Ember Lynn - Indie Mae - Coralie Wren - Brinley Faye - Loxley Rose - Teagan Elizabeth
    Wilder Reed - Archer Wade - Dakota James - Brenner Jude - Hayden Rhett - Ridge Matthew

I like the name Haven, but I've only ever met a girl named Haven. I know it can be used as a boys name, I even encountered one in my geneology a few generations back (early to mid 1800s maybe?). I think it could still be used today for a boy, it's certainly easier to imagine than if one were trying to reclaim Lindsay, Dana, or Evelyn, for example.

I would steer clear of the Hayven spelling though, the Y does make it look girly.

Quote Originally Posted by mystiquedeep View Post
    I like the name Haven, but I've only ever met a girl named Haven. I know it can be used as a boys name, I even encountered one in my geneology a few generations back (early to mid 1800s maybe?). I think it could still be used today for a boy, it's certainly easier to imagine than if one were trying to reclaim Lindsay, Dana, or Evelyn, for example.

I would steer clear of the Hayven spelling though, the Y does make it look girly.
    Yes, I do think the ‘y’ makes it girly. Just not sure I could use Hayes/Hay then.
    "Mightier than the waves of the sea is His love." Psalm 93:4

Ember Lynn - Indie Mae - Coralie Wren - Brinley Faye - Loxley Rose - Teagan Elizabeth
    Wilder Reed - Archer Wade - Dakota James - Brenner Jude - Hayden Rhett - Ridge Matthew

I agree with mystiquedeep, the 'y' makes it look girly. I think you could still use Hay/Hayes because it has the same sound as the start of Haven. I prefer Hayden for a boy though.
    Tabitha Olivia Doreen ❀ Beatrix Thisbe Nell ❀ Mabel Rosalind Juno
    Philippa Maisie Lilac ❀
    Adeline Miriam Poppy
    Flora Guinevere Plum
    Tabby • Bea • Belle • Pippa • Ada • Plum

Edmund Percival Ford​ ☾ Hugo Jackson Ives ☾ Theodore Pippin Barnes
    Arthur Frederic Poet ☾ Casper Horatio Grey
    Peter Endymion Kit
    Mundo • Hugh • Teddy • Artie • Cap • Pip

For me, adding the Y makes it more feminine. I think the name itself is unisex, but adding a Y just feminizes it, in my book.

As for nicknames, I'm always a little puzzled when someone asks if a certain nickname "could" come from a certain name. To me, the answer is, uh, yes! You can nickname your kid anything you want! And the nickname being asked about is usually a technicality, like the spelling of the nickname doesn't necessarily match the spelling of the given name. I don't think that matters, especially because most people aren't going to spell it. If the sound of the nickname somewhat resembles the sound of the given name, go for it. Also, if you like a nickname and it has zero to do with the given name, also go for it. Nicknames are a free-for-all; there are no rules. Have fun!