Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 5 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Black Hole Known As University
    Posts
    2,450

    Revamping My Boy List!

    I've found over the years that boy names are so much harder to fall in love with for me and I fall out of love for them super fast. I have plenty that sit around borderline "I like it enough to use" but never make the cut, or did for only a few seconds/years before falling out of my favour. My boy list has always been shorter than my girls, but I came up with an idea to make a list of all of my "Borderline" names and here feedback on them. Which names should I keep? Why should I love them? Which aren't usable? Which fit best with my naming style and which don't? Most of these will probably be middle names, especially those that ranked #250 or higher in 2016.

    I've separated out those names into three sections: Names I Used To Have On My List (excluding those of which I can't use like Sebastian, Leo, Brian, Jared, Mason, Wyatt/Wiatt, and Cameron), names I have considered over and over, and names that are "fairly new" to me.

    FORMERLY ON MY LST
    Ace
    Blade-Removed
    Cairo -Removed
    Caius -Removed
    Chase
    Colby
    Colin
    Colton
    Connor
    Crispin
    Dallas
    Dixon-Removed
    Dylan
    Edison
    Ethan
    Gabriel
    Günther
    Jonas
    Joshua
    Levi
    Luke
    Malcolm
    Oliver
    Onyx
    Pierre
    Tobias
    Wyn
    Xander

    TOSSED AROUND
    Atlas
    Bartholomew
    Castiel
    Claude
    Dionysus
    Everest
    Feliciano
    Forest
    Garrett
    Horatio
    Javier-Removed
    Jedidiah
    Leroy
    Louis
    Luciano
    Ludwig-Removed
    Magnus
    Marco
    Mortimer-Removed
    Niall
    Orion
    Poseidon
    Ralph-Removed
    Wilder
    Xavier

    NEW LOVES
    Aeneas-Removed, officially on GP list.
    Amias
    Balthazar-Removed
    Bandit-Removed
    Conrad-Removed
    Dean
    Theomund

    I will also take suggestions (It feels like I've exhausted every option in existence, but if you guys think of any I'll listen)
    Last edited by evelinrose; November 20th, 2017 at 08:55 PM.
    Arsinoë, 19
    Matilda Artemis Fawn & Gilbert Apollo Demetri
    Ellington Aurelia Sophie & Edmund Nathaniel Scipio
    Annabeth Humility Urtė & Perseus Christopher Blaize
    Serafina Violet Belle & Alec Horatio Foster
    Runa Charlotte Blythe & Alfred Lionel Garrison
    Bree Elizabeth Pepper & Nico Joshua Alois
    Xanthe Aurora Piper & Prosper Avalon Luke
    Cleo Erzsébet Bronwyn & Misha Adrian Louis
    Primrose Athena Marie & Arthur Cato Achilles
    Cecily Madeleine Reed & Ciel Timothy Klaus

  2. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Black Hole Known As University
    Posts
    2,450
    Bumping this up....
    Arsinoë, 19
    Matilda Artemis Fawn & Gilbert Apollo Demetri
    Ellington Aurelia Sophie & Edmund Nathaniel Scipio
    Annabeth Humility Urtė & Perseus Christopher Blaize
    Serafina Violet Belle & Alec Horatio Foster
    Runa Charlotte Blythe & Alfred Lionel Garrison
    Bree Elizabeth Pepper & Nico Joshua Alois
    Xanthe Aurora Piper & Prosper Avalon Luke
    Cleo Erzsébet Bronwyn & Misha Adrian Louis
    Primrose Athena Marie & Arthur Cato Achilles
    Cecily Madeleine Reed & Ciel Timothy Klaus

  3. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    443
    Love: Caius, Chase, Colby, Colin, Colton, Connor, Dylan, Edison, Ethan, Jonas, Levi

    I love these! With the exception of Caius, Edison, and Jonas these are all pretty popular and/or dated in the US. I still happen to really like them, but they also sit on my "boring, never going to be used, borderline list." I think Caius and Edison are worth keeping as long as you like the nicknames Cai and Ed - which are why I'd never use them. I think they are all strong and would be lovely names on any boy with no real objections but overall they're pretty boring. I'm not sure how commonplace they are in the UK or anywhere else, but in the US names like Dylan, Colin, Connor, and Colby were at their peak in the late 90's/early 2000's so they feel overdone at this point. Colton, Chase, Levi and Ethan have all very recently peaked so they are still really popular everywhere and will get old fast. Jonas is pretty trendy but I think it's worth keeping on your list!

    Like: Ace, Cairo, Crispin, Gabriel, Joshua, Luke, Malcolm, Oliver, Tobias, Wyn, Xander

    These are all fine. Malcolm is really early 90's but seems to be climbing in popularity again, I just knew a few growing up so it feels date stamped. Luke, Oliver and Gabriel fit the criteria of "popular right now, need a break from hearing it" and Joshua fits the category of "super popular in the 80's/90's" and a middle aged guy named Josh is the perfect archetype of babies born in the 80's. Ace is cool but a little lackluster. Cairo is really cool but also packs a lot of politics into a name. Crispin I adore but I have found it is not well received by the general public (it was our dog's name who died recently and everyone always told us how much they hated his name!) Tobias I like, and really love Toby! I think that's one worth keeping. Wyn I adore on a girl. Xander is nice as a nn for Alexander, otherwise I dislike it.

    Dislike: Blade, Dallas, Dixon, Günther, Onyx, Pierre

    I dislike these and would cut them from your list. Blade is really violet sounding and a much better name for a pet. Blake, Blaise, or Blaine are all much nicer. Dallas is redneck through and through, which outside the US may not bother you but it's not my cup of tea. Dixon is along the same vein as Dallas, but worse, because it also has racial connotations in the US. Also Dix is a bad nickname. Gunther, Onyx, and Pierre are just not my style.

    From your "tossed arounds" I'd keep...
    Atlas, Louis, Marco, Orion, Ralph, Wilder, Xavier

    From your new loves...
    Amias and Dean are great! Aeneas is way too similar to anus. Bandit is a dog name and just not a nice term to be named after. Conrad is also pretty cool.

    two munchkins
    lysander quinn + elliot caspar
    "sander & eli"
    two furbabies
    cleo + tazz


    ttc 2018
    joel . eero . atticus . wesley . calvin

    hazel . zila . kerensa . nova

  4. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,943
    Over all your lists, ten I like: Caius, Onyx, Wyn, Atlas, Forest, Orion, Poseidon, Xavier, Gabriel & Amias best. I would consider a couple of those a little more 'guilty pleasure' than 'first name use' though myself (Poseidon & Onyx).

    If I could ditch ten, they'd be: Ralph, Mortimer, Horatio, Garrett, Claude, Bartholomew, Gunther, Blade, Aeneas & Malcolm.


  5. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Black Hole Known As University
    Posts
    2,450
    Thank you so much for your thought out response! Alright... Here I go.....
    Quote Originally Posted by hundredacre View Post
    I love these! With the exception of Caius, Edison, and Jonas these are all pretty popular and/or dated in the US. I still happen to really like them, but they also sit on my "boring, never going to be used, borderline list." I think Caius and Edison are worth keeping as long as you like the nicknames Cai and Ed - which are why I'd never use them. I think they are all strong and would be lovely names on any boy with no real objections but overall they're pretty boring. I'm not sure how commonplace they are in the UK or anywhere else, but in the US names like Dylan, Colin, Connor, and Colby were at their peak in the late 90's/early 2000's so they feel overdone at this point. Colton, Chase, Levi and Ethan have all very recently peaked so they are still really popular everywhere and will get old fast. Jonas is pretty trendy but I think it's worth keeping on your list!
    Neither Caius or Edison would be on my first name list. Tbh I don't think any of these particular names would be. I don't really like the nn/name Cai/Kai unless it's spelt Kye (for ascetics, and even then it's the name of one of my antagonistic characters from my Greek mythology based story so I probably wouldn't ever use it) The incredibly popular names/dated names are more middles unless they're uncommon vintage like Gilbert, Arthur, or Alfred for me. I still feel mostly neutral about most of them, but I didn't even think about the Cai/Caius connection so I'll have to think about that one what with my antagonist character.
    I'm finding it really hard to throw out any of these for the reason of overuse/dated. Frankly, I'm neutral on all of these, as in, I can't throw any of them out but I don't really see myself using them. I have so many dated names on my own girl list for middles that I'm just like "whatever" about generational use if that makes sense. I'm really just looking for a reason to "love" these names or "dislike" them, honestly.

    Quote Originally Posted by hundredacre View Post
    Malcolm is really early 90's but seems to be climbing in popularity again, I just knew a few growing up so it feels date stamped. Luke, Oliver and Gabriel fit the criteria of "popular right now, need a break from hearing it" and Joshua fits the category of "super popular in the 80's/90's" and a middle aged guy named Josh is the perfect archetype of babies born in the 80's. Ace is cool but a little lackluster. Cairo is really cool but also packs a lot of politics into a name. Crispin I adore but I have found it is not well received by the general public (it was our dog's name who died recently and everyone always told us how much they hated his name!) Tobias I like, and really love Toby! I think that's one worth keeping. Wyn I adore on a girl. Xander is nice as a nn for Alexander, otherwise I dislike it.
    Luke, Oliver, and Gabriel would be middles for sure. Idk, I have literary/pop culture connections to all of them and Gabriel is a name that was on my list since like long before I had any of those. I'm not sure where my former obsession over that name started, tbh. Frankly, if I'm honest Gabriel is the one I "want to love" the most. It's the one I've gone back to more than the others, anyway. My opinion on Ace isn't much different than yours. Cairo, I can see what you mean. Actually, there's that Cai sound again too! Crispin... *sigh* This is the only one that's already on my list... I think I'm trying to get someone to convince me to take it off my GP's... I've heard enough Crisp jokes.... Tobias... I used to like Toby, now I really dislike that nickname, personally. I don't like Alexander or Wyn/Wynn on a girl.

    Quote Originally Posted by hundredacre View Post
    I dislike these and would cut them from your list. Blade is really violet sounding and a much better name for a pet. Blake, Blaise, or Blaine are all much nicer. Dallas is redneck through and through, which outside the US may not bother you but it's not my cup of tea. Dixon is along the same vein as Dallas, but worse, because it also has racial connotations in the US. Also Dix is a bad nickname. Gunther, Onyx, and Pierre are just not my style.
    I had a feeling I'd hear that about Blade and Bandit. I can't remember if I still have Dagger on my list or not but I have a thing with these uber-masculine names and I actually detest gender roles. Blaise is actually on my list already. Dallas and Onyx are on my girls list at this moment and I'm just considering them for unisex again. Is there a reason Dallas sounds "redneck?" Is it the Texas city? Because it sounds like a cowboy name? Can you elaborate? Jeez... I think you just convinced me to cut Dixon off my list completely for several reasons. Dix is an awful nn. I don't think the name has racial connotation though. It's a surname name. HOWEVER my little brother is named Mason and the idea of him with his future nephew and being asked the kid's name worries me. I think I'll cross this one out for sure.


    From your new loves...
    Amias and Dean are great! Aeneas is way too similar to anus. Bandit is a dog name and just not a nice term to be named after. Conrad is also pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

    I really like Aeneas the most from these, but it does kind of sound like "Anus" when said fast. I think I'll cross this one out as well. Thank you! Your comment was really thought provoking.
    Arsinoë, 19
    Matilda Artemis Fawn & Gilbert Apollo Demetri
    Ellington Aurelia Sophie & Edmund Nathaniel Scipio
    Annabeth Humility Urtė & Perseus Christopher Blaize
    Serafina Violet Belle & Alec Horatio Foster
    Runa Charlotte Blythe & Alfred Lionel Garrison
    Bree Elizabeth Pepper & Nico Joshua Alois
    Xanthe Aurora Piper & Prosper Avalon Luke
    Cleo Erzsébet Bronwyn & Misha Adrian Louis
    Primrose Athena Marie & Arthur Cato Achilles
    Cecily Madeleine Reed & Ciel Timothy Klaus

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •