Names from the past

Hello berries I have been lurking on the forums for a while and finally decided to make an account and post.

One of my hobbies is geneaology and I love discovering unusual or underused names from generations ago. Here are some of the more interesting ones I have discovered:

Male:
    Everard : love it, and I think it is totally usable today
    Ambrose
    Febronia : my understanding is that this is usually a female name, but it was the middle name of a distant uncle, Karl Febronia.
    Pascoe
    Shadrach
    Luck : lived with his wife Lucy in 17th century Cornwall
    Amos
    Farquhar : very Scottish. Personally I would never use it, as here in Australia people would pronounce it to sound like a swear word :/
    Montague
    Hiram
    Mostyn
    Burnett
    Theophilus

Female:
    Thomasina
    Euphemia : personally I think this name sounds too much like 'euphemism' to be used today, but the nickname Effy is adorable
    Damaris
    Tamar
    Petronel : personally I much preder Petronella. Nelly or Petra could be nicknames?
    Loveday : poor 5x great-grandmother Loveday
    Wilmot : my understanding is that this name is traditionally considered masculine, but it was used here on a female
    Dorcas : I don't think this name will ever make a comeback!
    Hartley : I also have a male Hartley on my family tree, but I prefer it on a girl personally
    Emlin/Emlyn
    Helewise : lived in the the 11th century
    Alida : love!

And finally my favourite mismatched historical sibset (from the 1800s):
    Ethelbert Llewelin
    Edaburgha Elswitha
    Sarah Elizabeth
    William
    Charles
    Esther Godiva

What are your thoughts on these names? And what unusual names have you discovered far back in your family trees?

Amy

Welcome to the site fellow Australian berry!
    Male:
    Everard : I actually really love this. It's so unique in this day and age. I like the name Edward which this reminded me of.
    Ambrose : This is an interesting name for a male. I've heard this used as a female name before.
    Febronia : Not my personal taste.
    Pascoe : I'm a huge fan of the name Pascal which this reminded me of! Definitely like this name.
    Shadrach : Not a big fan of this one.
    Luck : This is adorable. I think this could be a really lovely middle name.
    Amos : This is a nice name that I've heard before. Strong religious connections so maybe not my taste but still nice.
    Farquhar : Definitely not my taste. To be honest this reminded me of two things: the king from shrek and there's actually a place in Australia called this that I've been to. As an Australian myself I understand your concern of it being misspoken.
    Montague : Instantly reminded me of Romeo and Juliet as this is Romeo's surname.
    Hiram : I personally really like this name and have heard it many times before. There's actually a character in the hit netflix series Riverdale with this name.
    Mostyn - Interesting name. I don't like it but I don't dislike either if that makes sense. Very neutral towards it.
    Burnett - Not a fan. Not really sure why though.
    Theophilus - Another name with a very strong connection to religion.

Female:
    Thomasina - This is one of those feminine variant names. I'm not a fan of this one though.
    Euphemia - I do understand your concern of it sounding too much like "euphemism".
    Damaris
    Tamar - I don't like this name purely because I have strong personal connections to the name Tamara. This just looks wrong to me.
    Petronel - I have to admit this name reminds me of the word "petrol" which isn't too nice but I do really like the nickname Petra!
    Loveday - While a little out there I think this name is endearing! Wouldn't use it though...
    Wilmot - Reminds me of the name Wilma. Not my taste.
    Dorcas - I think it's safe to say that you're right about this one not making a comeback!
    Hartley - This name's so pretty! I love it.
    Emlin/Emlyn - I personally don't like spelling anything with "lyn" so I prefer the first variant. This name sounds nice when spoken.
    Helewise - Maybe it's just my immaturity but I instantly made a pun on "hella wise". Sorry.
    Alida - This is a really nice name! So short and sweet.

I don't know my family tree well as I've only gone back a very small portion. No weird names but a lot of pretty ones I hadn't thought to add to my longlist until I saw them. It's actually the young generation of my family with the unique names.
    Imogen Rose | Estelle Ruby | Jessamine Dove | Delilah Jane