Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    katieree, as others have said getting help is always a good idea. But on a lighter note I just wanted to recommend the Ali Wong comedy special Hard Knock Wife on Netflix if you like standup comedy and haven't seen it yet. She has some hysterical bits about how pregnancy wrecks your body and it might help to normalize some of what you're feeling. Stay strong!
    Greta Cecilia - Jane Isadora - Francesca Ruth - Naomi Eloise - Ramona Inez
    Milo Anthony - Arthur Eugene - Toby William - Frederick Ronan - Ezra John

Hi @katieree, thank you for sharing this with us and bringing this post back to the top. I know how difficult it can be to reach out to someone for help—I’m glad you’ve come here. I’m sure you will make an appointment when you feel ready. I wish I had advice to offer but I struggle with making appointments too. Usually it happens when I have a moment of strength or I’m just so tired of feeling awful. Do you have someone who can call for you? Or do you have a friend or family member you can confide in in the meantime.

Body stuff is so hard. I totally get where you’re coming from. I hope that with time and rest you will begin to be okay with your body again. You’ve just been through so much.

My story: I have had anxiety for most of my life and it turned into severe depression in my mid-20s (brought on by an IUD...). I know I’m at risk for PPD and I’m honestly scared of how it will be when the baby arrives. Especially since I live in the Pacific Northwest and winters here are so dark and gray. I already plan to contact my old therapist if I need to.

This pregnancy has been pretty good to me so far. I wish I could go back to the first trimester when I felt like I could conquer the world (that surge of progesterone was awesome). I’ve hit a few low points, like when I was upset with my SO for saying something insensitive and I let it eat me alive for a solid month. Or when I had a high blood pressure reading at the doc and I thought I would die from preeclampsia. I was seriously up crying last night because I dread going to the doctor this week. It’s probably my anxiety but I don’t feel supported there.

Again, thank you for bringing this post to the top! I didn’t even know it existed and I was so surprised to see it. It’s good to know I’m not alone.
    Last edited by cactusgram; June 17th, 2018 at 10:24 PM.
    ❋ Baby girl due October 5th, 2018! ❋

Beatrix
    Winifred ۰ Beatrix ۰ Josephine ۰ Frances
    Daisy ۰ Violet ۰ Hazel ۰ June ۰ Mae ۰ Pearl
    Harriet ۰ Cordelia ۰ Tabitha ۰ Louisa

I have a family history of depression, so I was kind of expecting to deal with PPD after the birth of my daughter. But for some reason, once I was in the throes of it, I didn’t address it. I just kept dealing (or more like not dealing) with my anxiety instead of asking for help.

My husband was going crazy because he couldn’t get me to admit there was a problem, and he hated leaving me to go to work. I was unable to get much sleep, and I was feeling guilty because he was tired and he was still trying to force me to sleep while he stayed up with the baby.

Finally, once my maternity leave was coming to an end, I just broke. I ended up in a treatment facility for two days, and I really learned a lot from the process. I got on medication and stayed on it for about a year. Going back to work was really therapeutic, and I started to accept help from family and friends when I needed it. Best of all, I was able to sleep again!

Now I am 27 weeks pregnant with our second, and my husband and I have a plan in place for this time around. Having friends and family around that know what to watch out for is reassuring as well. Even though I knew it could happen the first time, I just couldn’t make any proactive decisions in my state of mind at the time. Looking back, it really felt like I was a whole different person.

I guess the only advice I could give is don’t put off asking for help. It really is okay, and there are tons of people that can’t wait to help. And there will be lots of other women that will share that they went through something similar.

Much love for anyone else going through PPD!

Quote Originally Posted by seedsandstones View Post
    @tfzolghadr, how are you doing? I saw on @poodle’s post about bathing/nudity around little kids that you broke your leg?!? My dear, what a terrible time to be in a cast, with a preschooler and a newborn! How are you getting along? I’m thinking of you and hoping you heal quickly!
    Sorry, I haven't been on NB much at all lately. I did break my leg climbing a mountain in Iran. Ugh. Things do get better with time. The only real problem that I have now is the insomnia. It seems to be the last thing to go away. Sigh... But I'm so happy that I've gotten help. I've enjoyed Caspian's baby time so much more than I did with Emiliana. My husband just keeps saying that no one would guess I'm on meds because it just resets me to "normal". The downside of the meds is that I put on 10kg in under 3 months. But I guess that everything has it's price, right?

I'm glad to see that this thread is getting some use. Whatever you do, get help and remember that things do get better!

@cactusgram You're definitely not alone!

Name Nerd, Professor, Anthropologist, INTP, Expat, Mom

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14
    &
    Caspian Kaveh 郑煜祺 '17