Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Postpartum Depression/ Anxiety/ OCD

I was just diagnosed with postpartum anxiety, and I realized that despite how widespread these illnesses are.

For me, it started with not sleeping for the last month and a half of pregnancy. I thought it would clear up after giving birth, but it became more severe. I currently can't sleep without a pill. And then the great thing about anxiety is that you have anxiety about having anxiety and anxiety medication.

So feel free to use this thread to share your experiences, questions, fears, concerns, etc.

Name Nerd, Professor, Anthropologist, INTP, Expat, Mom

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14
    &
    Caspian Kaveh 郑煜祺 '17

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this.

I went through PPD and ultimately figured out that I've probably had depression for a very, very long time. I don't know if you've felt like this but I've been incredibly frustrated at times at how little understanding there can be for those with invisible illness. Some people in my life have been SO quick to see it as a character flaw or moral failing, and they seem not to want to be educated about it.

I remember feeling relieved when I finally got the diagnosis and started to get treatment and do more self-care. Do you feel relieved to be diagnosed?

Take care.
    Mom of James Daniel (13) William Joseph (12), Elise Marie (11), Zachary Allan (4.5), and George Thomas (2.5)
    NAME CRUSH of the day: Mabel Maxine

Rose Audrey; Sairy; Alma; Ida; Bridget; Anna; Patricia; Vera Colette; Millie; Mary Kathleen; Linnea "Lindy"; Tabitha; Caroline; Anne; Rosalind; Sally; Virginia “Ginny”; Daphne
    Calvin Maxwell; Franklin “Frankie”; Henry
    TWINS TODAY: Rose Bonny & Tabitha Jane

@mill1020 Very true about invisible illnesses. I'm currently staying with my in laws in Iran. Everyone here seems to think of "anxiety" as being the same as "stressed out". My MIL got angry and asked why I'm stressed out. I have little to do.

I do feel relieved to have the diagnosis and sleep meds, especially. I'd hit the point where I could not get myself to sleep. On the other hand, there's the fear of the unknown. Will I ever be normal again? Will I ever be able to nap again (without pills)? How long am I looking at?

Luckily I like my doctor, and DH is being incredibly supportive.

Name Nerd, Professor, Anthropologist, INTP, Expat, Mom

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14
    &
    Caspian Kaveh 郑煜祺 '17

It is so difficult to go through this, and all the harder because people so often diminish anxiety/depression and put pressure on mothers of new babies to be happy all the time and bounce back to themselves and all that baloney.

I have had anxiety and depression for half my life, have sought help in the past, know pretty well what makes those conditions worse for me, and knew the signs of PPA/PPD before giving birth to my son last year. I still got it, and bad. I'm coming out of it now, I think, but want to add my voice in here and am feeling galvanized to get some help to speed my recovery (and hopefully avoid a second bout after my second kid).

Thanks for bringing this up. You're brave and kindhearted to do it. I hope you continue to get the sleep you need and have the support you need to weather this transition. Congratulations on your new babe, too. Taking care of ourselves is exactly what we need and we don't need to feel guilt/shame for focusing our efforts there (and it really does enable us to be better parents, too).

I have a very high chance of developing PPD (diagnosed with clinical depression in '13, then perinatal depression at ~8wks pregnant). I'm on 125mg of Zoloft and have many connections with my local mental health teams. Sending lots of love to everyone and hoping to get ideas/support before bubba comes in Feb ♥.
    Remy Madeleine ~ 15.02.2018

Romilly | Charlotte | Scarlett | Evie | Gaia
    Schuyler "Sky" | Declan | Rowan | Ezra | Austin