Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zarin

Zarin

Just come across this as an alternative to one of my favourites, Zara, which is a little more popular than I'd like where I live.

Zarin is a Persian name, meaning "golden". I believe it can be used for boys too but I think I prefer it for a girl.

What are your thoughts?
    ♥ J. M. (09/15) ♥
    ♥ K. V. (06/17) ♥

Zarin sounds cool for both genders, but if I saw just Zarin, I would assume the name belongs to a boy. I don't mind the boys names on girls or girls names on boys thing, but if you would find that troubling I wouldn't use it. Overall, Zarin is a very interesting and modern name.

Is it pronounced like Zareen? I quite like it.
    Valentina, Anastasia, Theodora, Penelope, Felicity

Roman, Jasper, Felix, Cyrus, Ezra

I've seen it on lists of Persian names, but I've never asked DH about it (it has the same sounds as our surname... so no go), and he just fell asleep. I'll try to remember to ask and add in the morning. It would be pronounced Zareen, as the short 'i' sound doesn't exist in Persian. As an English speaker, I think it is interesting and modern. And I know that DH has mentioned in the past that he would be delighted to meet a foreign kid with a good Persian name (nothing like Khashayar/ Xerxes), which is a sentiment I've also heard echoed by many friends. So if you did ever name your kid a real (non-Arabic), good Farsi name, be prepared for some really excited Iranians and potential picture taking.
    ---------------
    Edit: So one of my name-loving Iranian friends in China got back to me. She said that in Persian the name is old but still beautiful. She said she would spell it Zareen to make the pronunciation clearer. She said Zar means 'gold', and Zareen means 'shining like gold'. She also said many people use a shortened form, Zari, instead. My Persian is reeeeally basic, but it seems like, according to the grammar, Zari would mean 'golden'. Zari is somewhat less respectable, as that's what they called girls who danced in clubs in the old movies during the Shah's time. She wasn't very clear about whether it was a name for all those dancers or a popular name used among the dancers. And she was very excited in a cute way that a non-Iranian might even 1% consider using a Persian name. She told me to tell you that if you ever want to chat about Persian names, I can give you her contact info and you can chat directly (very typical of Persian manners).

And I forgot to ask if it can be used for boys or not. Based on her description, I would guess that even if it technically could, no one would.
    Last edited by tfzolghadr; October 11th, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
    Currently exiled from the US

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14
    Caspian Kaveh 郑煜祺 EDD: Oct '17

@tfzolghdr Ah, thanks so much, to you and your friend! Lots of great info on the name there. I actually really like Zari too but maybe the connotations aren't the best in that case... Wonderful and so helpful to hear about it from an Iranian perspective
    ♥ J. M. (09/15) ♥
    ♥ K. V. (06/17) ♥