Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Red face Name Hunt: Agent 007 (Boy's Edition)

Most recent reply 9/19: https://nameberry.com/nametalk/threa...54#post3886954

I'm stuck on the girl names so I'm putting those aside for awhile. Boys names are much more fun and far easier for Hubby and me to agree on, too.

Here's our list for firsts:
    Horatio - this has been on and off my favorites for years, I think I have finally worked up the nerve to go for it. I realized that nn Eto would work as a nn which makes me smile -- this was a pet name they called my dad, Ethan, when he was a kid - prn EE-toe. Also love Rory as a possible nn and Hubby likes this one best, so that nn would likely win out against Eto. But we might use the full name, too. We have no consistency in our sibling group -- some kids have nns and some go by full names.

Rory - Both parents like this one a lot. For some reason, I have a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around it as a standalone name, even though I know it IS a standalone name, and I always like it every time I "see" it on a grown man. So. It's probably time for me to just get over that mental block. Yes, one of Georg!a's middles is Rose; no, we don't think this is too much Doctor Who. We have a TARDIS in our dining room that we built, soooo yeah....

Ragnar - Hubby has been campaigning for this one for... four years? Six years? A long time. He super likes it. I like it... but possibly more in theory than in practice. It's... aggressive.

Middles:
    Ethan - family name, obviously. My grandparents were ahead of their times, what can I say? It's still astonishing to me that this became a top 10 name, because NOBODY could even understand it back in the day when I said my parents' names.

Eto - I think the nickname itself would be a cool middle, possibly in a two-middle combo. One nephew already has Ethan as a middle and another sister declared that she will use it as a first. I don't mind shared family names. But it might be nice to have a variation, too.

Heath - I would consider this in a combo as the Ethan honor (he was called "Eth" after he outgrew Eto, long E, sounds like Heath without the H).

Rigel - A number 7 and celestial name, super cool.

Frederic - Anyone who knows us will get this. Baby is due in February and we're Gilbert & Sullivan nerds (Pirates of Penzance).

Amadeus - Awesome cool meaning. Never have been able to get Hubby to OK this one as a first, but I might be able to sneak it into a combo.

Ozias - Also awesome meaning name that I want to keep on the table for possible combos, won't ever get approval as a first from DH.

A couple others I just like but don't think are usable
    Jean, Jean-Luc - I wish French Jean wouldn't be slaughtered in my region. It's really a pity, because I legitimately like both of these of their own merit, and Hubby would like Star Trek and Jean Valjean, though they are pretty tied to characters for first name consideration anyway. I did think of using it as a crossover honor for MIL, middle name Jean, but she would think that was idiotic and pretentious, so there's no point.

Basil - I super like this one and I would totally use it, if it weren't for the stupid "Bedazzler" craze when I was a kid. Every time I picture a smart and distinguished fellow... I realize he's wearing a jean jacket plastered with sparkles. Just...no.

Alastair - So refined, so handsome, so hard to pull off the third-syllable emphasis. Out.

Robin - This one would be fun as a second-middle "Robin Hood" nod, but he doesn't beat out the other middle options.

Ok -- thoughts, comments, combos? I don't think we're shopping for new ideas. All three of the top considerations have been on and off the list for 4-14 years so it would be hard to overtake any of them. Our other three boys have family middles, or middles chosen for meaning.

Thanks, Berries!
    Last edited by saracita00; September 19th, 2017 at 02:43 PM.

Mama to C, Z, E, P, D, G & Agent 007

Looks like it's a girl!

The Now Obsolete But "Just In Case" List
    Horatio :: Rainier:: Ragnar :: Rory
    Horatio Frederic Eto :: Ragnar Ethan Rigel :: Rainier Ozias Ethan

I like Ragnar and Amadeus together because Ragnar is so harsh and Amadeus is so smooth and soft. Horatio Ragnar Amadeus might be nice. Ragnar Ozias also seems to tone down the aggression and feels rather sophisticated.

Horatio Amadeus Ragnar - initials HART.
    As an aside, my son had an Italian friend named Amadeo (am-ah-DAY-o is how he pronounced it) and we all just loved that name! The whole family agreed it was the funnest name to say, ever. It still makes me swoony. And now I prefer that version because it's less composer and more fun, to my way of thinking.

As far as JonLuc, JeanLuc,etc... there was a boy in one of my classes last year named Gianluke. I really liked his name, too. All the other kids called him Gianluke, no nn. It was so handsome! I think kids nowadays can handle any kind of name from any kind of place - it's very cosmopolitan in the schools nowadays as far as names go, in my experience.
    Last edited by mousehouse7; September 15th, 2017 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saracita00 View Post
    I'm stuck on the girl names so I'm putting those aside for awhile. Boys names are much more fun and far easier for Hubby and me to agree on, too.

Here's our list for firsts:
    Horatio - this has been on and off my favorites for years, I think I have finally worked up the nerve to go for it. I realized that nn Eto would work as a nn which makes me smile -- this was a pet name they called my dad, Ethan, when he was a kid - prn EE-toe. Also love Rory as a possible nn and Hubby likes this one best, so that nn would likely win out against Eto. But we might use the full name, too. We have no consistency in our sibling group -- some kids have nns and some go by full names.

Rory - Both parents like this one a lot. For some reason, I have a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around it as a standalone name, even though I know it IS a standalone name, and I always like it every time I "see" it on a grown man. So. It's probably time for me to just get over that mental block. Yes, one of Georg!a's middles is Rose; no, we don't think this is too much Doctor Who. We have a TARDIS in our dining room that we built, soooo yeah....

Ragnar - Hubby has been campaigning for this one for... four years? Six years? A long time. He super likes it. I like it... but possibly more in theory than in practice. It's... aggressive.

Middles:
    Ethan - family name, obviously. My grandparents were ahead of their times, what can I say? It's still astonishing to me that this became a top 10 name, because NOBODY could even understand it back in the day when I said my parents' names.

Eto - I think the nickname itself would be a cool middle, possibly in a two-middle combo. One nephew already has Ethan as a middle and another sister declared that she will use it as a first. I don't mind shared family names. But it might be nice to have a variation, too.

Heath - I would consider this in a combo as the Ethan honor (he was called "Eth" after he outgrew Eto, long E, sounds like Heath without the H).

Rigel - A number 7 and celestial name, super cool.

Frederic - Anyone who knows us will get this. Baby is due in February and we're Gilbert & Sullivan nerds (Pirates of Penzance).

Amadeus - Awesome cool meaning. Never have been able to get Hubby to OK this one as a first, but I might be able to sneak it into a combo.

Ozias - Also awesome meaning name that I want to keep on the table for possible combos, won't ever get approval as a first from DH.

A couple others I just like but don't think are usable
    Jean, Jean-Luc - I wish French Jean wouldn't be slaughtered in my region. It's really a pity, because I legitimately like both of these of their own merit, and Hubby would like Star Trek and Jean Valjean, though they are pretty tied to characters for first name consideration anyway. I did think of using it as a crossover honor for MIL, middle name Jean, but she would think that was idiotic and pretentious, so there's no point.

Basil - I super like this one and I would totally use it, if it weren't for the stupid "Bedazzler" craze when I was a kid. Every time I picture a smart and distinguished fellow... I realize he's wearing a jean jacket plastered with sparkles. Just...no.

Alastair - So refined, so handsome, so hard to pull off the third-syllable emphasis. Out.

Robin - This one would be fun as a second-middle "Robin Hood" nod, but he doesn't beat out the other middle options.

Ok -- thoughts, comments, combos? I don't think we're shopping for new ideas. All three of the top considerations have been on and off the list for 4-14 years so it would be hard to overtake any of them. Our other three boys have family middles, or middles chosen for meaning.

Thanks, Berries!
    I'm happy to see the boy thread

I like Rory, Amadeus, Osais, Basil.

Let me try:
    Haze
    Zephyr
    Zadig
    Ruben
    Jude
    Amias
    Berlioz
    Holden
    Cohen
    Hagan
    Evander
    Wolf
    Atticus
    Kerrigan
    Oak
    Hawthorn
    Huckleberry
    Othello
    Orion
    Rowan
    Eleazar
    Zacchea
    Ebenezer
    Eben
    Aspen
    Hendrix
    Oscar
    Izar (celestial name)
    Alioth (celestial name)
    Gaspard
    Aymar
    Hero
    Heath
    Art
    Phileas
    Phineas
    Elphias
    Elphaël
    Nathaniel
    Archibald
    Robinson
    Solaris (celestial name)
    Solal
    Stellan (celestial name)
    Percival
    Bowie
    Boden
    Exupery
    Phoenix
    Magellan
    Nigel
    Astorian (celestial name)
    Astriel (celestial name)
    Gulliver
    Milovan
    Erevan
    Atlantis
    Atlas
    Thaddeus
    Zaccheus
    Arcadius
    Artemius
    Angus
    Elior
    Heliodore
    Ezekiel
    Mistral
    Artagnan
    Sorrell
    Dominic
    If parents decide to choose a name from a certain culture, they must respect that culture and the gender for which the name was historically given

Elliott Caspian Archibald
    August Milo Reeve
    Everest Grey Zephyr

Esmée Autumn Elinor
    Olive Maxine Emerson
    Vivienne Juniper Reese

☁︎ http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846221
    ☁︎ Complete Boy list
    ☁︎ Complete Girl list

From the first name list, I can't decide if I like Horatio or Rory more. With Horatio, it's like a two-for-one since you can call him Rory as a nickname anyway, which I always love on principal. On the other hand, the rest of your boys have uncommon names while two of the girls have more mainstream names, so I kinda like the idea of using a more mainstream boy name this time. So...I don't know. I agree that with you that Ragnar is a bit much, though.

With Horatio, I think my favorite combo is Horatio Rigel, followed by Horatio Frederic. I also like Horatio Frederic Rigel if you decide to go with double middles. Actually, thinking about it more, that's probably my favorite option.

With Rory, I'm liking Rory Amadeus and Rory Ozias. For double middles, my favorite is probably Rory Amadeus Heath.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar, Catherine "Cate" Ophelia, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine, and Alexander "Axel" Leopold!

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity