Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which names do you like here?? Concerned some favorites are too popular.

My husband and I have generated a list of our favorite first name choices, but it is hard for me to focus on the merit of the names alone when I am concerned with the popularity of some of them. Could you guys give some feedback on what you think of these names (and if you think my popularity concerns are warranted or not)?

Concerned might be too popular:
    Alice
    Stella
    Violet
    Grace

Probably the right amount of popular:
    Helena
    Daisy
    Gemma
    Maude
    Rose
    Jane Rose [concerned the "double name" thing could be annoying].
    Eve

Concerned might be too unpopular (people mishearing/misspelling/acting ignorant because they've never heard it lol):
    Murron [ps. this is my husband's #1 favorite].
    Last edited by haylemea; August 12th, 2017 at 02:31 PM.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about popularity. When I look at names, yes, I do check just to see, but it's definitely not a concern. If popularity is something that does concern you, though, I suggest looking at the SSA's state-by-state popularity list (if you're in the US, I'm not sure if other countries have equivalents to this) to get a better idea of what names you're more likely to encounter in your area. For example, I live in a Midwestern state, and the #1 name here is Olivia, compared to Emma nationally; Evelyn also ranks in the Top 10 here and Harper doesn't. As for your names, I love Stella, Violet, Grace, Gemma, and Eve, and don't know of any little ones under 10 named any of these, which really shows how much popularity affects how we think of names.
    Adeline Violet "Addie" ~ Anneliese Joy "Annie" ~ Cecelia Kay "Cece" ~
    Colette Ingrid ~ Isla Wren ~ Lydia Belle ~ Maisie Charlotte ~ Quinn Ivy ~ Sadie Eleanor ~ Scarlett Audrey

Alexander James "Alex" ~ Andrew Scott ~ Austin Ford ~ Declan Oliver ~ Landon Joel ~ Maxwell Connor "Max" ~ Nathaniel Graham "Nate" ~ Parker Gavin ~ Theo Beckett ~ William Clark "Will"

I don't think popularity is a big deal, especially if you love the name.

My favorites from your list~

Alice
    Grace
    Helena
    Maude
    Rose
    Eve
    ❧ Clara Swanhild Evangeline ❧ Fiorella Marie Cosette ❧ Annabella Isolde Snow ❧ Ophelia Merewen Adela ❧
    ❧ Rosaline Esclarmonde Fable❧ Anja/Sonja Mireia Roselle ❧ Odetta Doveva Sonnet ❧ Juliet Ophélie Serenella❧

~ boys' under construction ~

Thinking About:
    Sholto, Evening, Ansel, Caspian, Matisse
    Llewelyn, Sascha, Mischa, Sonnet, Claude
    Pierre, Feliks, Florian, Vilppu, Johannes
    Anatole, Eliseo, Esca, Ilja, Eladio
    ~
    Nuala, Nephele, Leena, Milja, Moon, Inessa

Quote Originally Posted by haylemea View Post
    My husband and I have generated a list of our favorite first name choices, but it is hard for me to focus on the merit of the names alone when I am concerned with the popularity of some of them. Could you guys give some feedback on what you think of these names (and if you think my popularity concerns are warranted or not)?

Concerned might be too popular:
    Alice
    Stella
    Violet
    Grace

Probably the right amount of popular:
    Helena
    Daisy
    Gemma
    Maude
    Rose
    Jane Rose [concerned the "double name" thing could be annoying].
    Eve

Concerned might be too unpopular (people mishearing/misspelling/acting ignorant because they've never heard it lol):
    Murron [ps. this is my husband's #1 favorite].
    For myself, Stella and Violet are too popular. Of course they are still good names, so if it doesn't bother you, it is fine. Alice and Grace seem classic to me, though I think Alice has a lot more spunk.

I love Helena, Gemma, Maude, and Eve -- of those names I only know one, a beautiful bright Helena.

Rose and Daisy I have known too many of. Plus there are fresher florals.

Never heard Murron. Love Mirren.
    Leslie

Some Names I Like:

Madeira, Fjord, Nastassja, Miranda (Randy), Eglantine, Jocelyn, Lucasta, Shirley, Romilly, Hestia, Prudence, Vera, Leontine, Catherine, Virginia, Elspeth, Friedegard, Cilla, Jocasta, Freda, Joetta, Maryellen, Winifred, Bonnie

Webb, Darcy (as in Mr.), Herbert, Cheever, Lewis, Gladstone, Milosz, Janvier, Struan, Fred, Coleridge, Theodoric, Auburn, Nesbit, Zevon, Craig, Lienzo, Yosemite, Barry, Wright, Tarquin, Lennox, Chester, Rutger, Timmy, Linus

Alice - not too popular imo and a very lovely name. Familiar but I only know one Alice and she is 12.
    Stella - love this name but it is getting pretty popular. If your daughter is named this, she likely will meet a few others with her name. Still, not necessarily a reason to throw it out all together. Its a great name!
    Violet - less popular than Stella but much more than Alice in my experience. Still, nice.
    Grace - Looooooove this name but its very popular!! If popularity is an issue for you, definitely not the one to choose but its still soo lovely and nnn Gracie is adorable.

Probably the right amount of popular: - all of these I'd agree. Their familiar but not even close to "too popular"
    Helena - very pretty.
    Daisy - cute choice
    Gemma - LOOOVE THIS!
    Maude- not a fan, don't get the hype
    Rose - love it! love nn Rosie
    Jane Rose - I love Jane and I love Rose, but I don't really like them together.
    Eve - cute and I love nn Evie, but Eve is a little to bland for my taste. I'd go with Evelyn.

Murron - I've never heard this and to be honest, I don't like it much especially for a girl. If anything it seems more like a boy name but I still don't like the sound or the look.

My favs from your selections: Stella, Grace, Gemma, Rose, Jane